Archived Forced retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I’ve been with the company for 10+ years with no performance or attendance issues EVER. My STL doesn’t like me- not sure y bc have had mb 3 conversations with her since she came back to our store as an STL. Long story short I’ve been a TL for 10 years n after making a lateral move (asked to do so in order to manage talent n hold ppl accountable-done that) suddenly in 4 mos I’ve been coached counseled and am on a final from my new 23 year old exec who I trained as an intern! I don’t have the paperwork with me rn to tell more examples but one was not satisfying the guest- but let me put it out there that wat the guest wanted WAS NOT POSSIBLE!!! When I pointed that out my exec just continued with I needed to satisfy the guest. Ummm AGAIN not possible- like not any way humanly possible to do wat she wanted. Needless to say I’ve been railroaded out. I put in for my retirement as soon as I walked out of the office with my exec saying -so r u gonna sign this? Like no I’m not! I won’t sign off on a page full of lies! My store has gone downhill in the last 5 years- no huddles -no communication among leads -ppl promoted without any communication from exec b4 OR after- a long way from the company I joined years ago. Sad to go but mb the timing is just right. Gonna miss my team- lots of tears shed on both sides this last week but on to better things!

Sorry to hear that Spot gave you the shaft. Almost deja vu for me, change the details and you have my departure story. Leaving my team was the hardest, too. As you say, off the better things. There is life after Target, enjoy! Good Luck!🍀

OMG, I’m so upset about your post. What position ? I feel like we are kindred spirits. Long timer, love what I do, do it well in my opinion and according to my last review, have always been dependable, reliable, willing for any/all changes business needs, give 200% minimum at all times, the go-to throughout the day. yet lately feeling attacked for things that are beyond my control. left to flounder on my own with obstacles from etl and then sacrificed by same etl if anything goes wrong. Fortunately my STL is very good, demanding but willing to help fix things. HR on the other hand is a nightmare, worse than you can imagine. Never leaves the office, starts a huddle and leaves before it is over, very very unfair with preferential treatment to ass kissing pets while needlessly attacking those that don’t slobber over the almighty powerful. I have had a few very upset days but I could never leave. They would have to carry me out and slap a restraining order to keep me from returning to try to work. Besides, I don’t take much time off and would lose lots of vacation time. Did you plan ahead and use it or forfeit ?

So sorry that this happened, I thought it was only me at first but reading the posts here there seems to be a pattern of forcing out veteran TLs. I was a TL for years, loved my job, worked hard, not perfect but no problems until I got a new ETL and could do nothing to please her. She treated me like dirt every day, set me up to fail with contradictory instructions daily and I was sick of it. I did plan my exit but lost a ton of sick time. It was worth it to be free! I did want to quote Johnny Paycheck’s song title to her “Take this Job and Shove It”, but I took the high road and just left. My team would have loved it, though! Good Luck to you, enjoy your retirement!😁

Last edited:
First. Thank you for your dedication to Target. I have roughly the same number of years in. It’s a lot of work and sometimes sacrifice. The direction of the store (s) has changed. You are not the only one with years of service to the corporation who has found themselves being performanced out. Decisions have been made that defy common sense. Look ahead and know that a better future awaits. You have experience and can and should move forward.

OMG, I’m so upset about your post. What position ? I feel like we are kindred spirits. Long timer, love what I do, do it well in my opinion and according to my last review, have always been dependable, reliable, willing for any/all changes business needs, give 200% minimum at all times, the go-to throughout the day. yet lately feeling attacked for things that are beyond my control. left to flounder on my own with obstacles from etl and then sacrificed by same etl if anything goes wrong. Fortunately my STL is very good, demanding but willing to help fix things. HR on the other hand is a nightmare, worse than you can imagine. Never leaves the office, starts a huddle and leaves before it is over, very very unfair with preferential treatment to ass kissing pets while needlessly attacking those that don’t slobber over the almighty powerful. I have had a few very upset days but I could never leave. They would have to carry me out and slap a restraining order to keep me from returning to try to work. Besides, I don’t take much time off and would lose lots of vacation time. Did you plan ahead and use it or forfeit ?
I think we are kindred spirits, and we certainly suffered through similar experiences. I was a TL.I thought it was only me at first but reading the posts here there seems to be a pattern of forcing out veteran TLs. I was a TL for years, loved my job, worked hard, not perfect but no problems until I got a new ETL and could do nothing to please her. She treated me like dirt every day, set me up to fail with contradictory instructions daily and I was sick of it. I did plan my exit but lost a ton of sick time. It was worth it to be free! I did want to quote Johnny Paycheck’s song title to her “Take this Job and Shove It”, but I took the high road and just left. Too bad, really, my team would have loved it. 😂

First. Thank you for your dedication to Target. I have roughly the same number of years in. It’s a lot of work and sometimes sacrifice. The direction of the store (s) has changed. You are not the only one with years of service to the corporation who has found themselves being performanced out. Decisions have been made that defy common sense. Look ahead and know that a better future awaits. You have experience and can and should move forward.
Seems like veterans are being forced out because after years of raises and benefits, they are too expensive to keep when Spot can hire new TMs/leaders for less money, and in the case of TMs, give them minimal hours so that they never qualify for benefits.

We just forced out a long time TL as well. She was awesome and the nicest and the store has gone so downhill since she left. She was in multiple TL positions at my store since it opened and was at another store before that. She was the highest paid TL in the store, but she deserved it. She was awesome.

Makes me scared because two of my GSTLs are long time target people and I’m out if they’re out. Our STL even gets on one for literally anything (no documentation i believe just micromanaging and snarky comments). They keep the front running though, so you’d think they’d need a clear person in mind to take over... still scares me though.

Anyway, you all deserve better and this company makes me so dang mad sometimes.

You knew (I hope) Spot was a snake when you picked it up.
aaf_shifty.gif

You knew (I hope) Spot was a snake when you picked it up.
aaf_shifty.gif
Maybe not. I'd been middle management (TL equivalent) in a couple of other jobs and when I was first approached about moving into that track at Target, I took it as a compliment and a recognition of my abilities. Then I realized that it was more of a dangling carrot, and there was no intent to actually mentor me into a TL position. I confess that I was taken in by that attempt and let them get my hopes up. But it happened twice! The second time I was smarter and so I just played along with no expectations and wasn't surprised when it didn't pan out. Now, I figure I dodged a bullet.

Called Performancing Out and its common. They will treat 5+ years like crap or coach them till death until they leave. Remove the heavy paid TMs for 2-3 brand new TMs.

I've been with this company for over 30 years. I don't like moderation. But I am very good with change. So whatever they have in store for me next year I will do. I'm told if changes will be made to my job pptl, it will be in February of 2019. I'm ready for a change.

What were you asked to sign? Nothing gets signed anymore. It goes to your Workday inbox, and you acknowledge it there (like how we acknowledge our reviews).

My store has begun with the "culling of the herd" as we've termed it. We had an ETL-GE who had been with the company for 15ish years who was set up to be fired by a closing GSTL who deliberately left a bag of money out (I hear a lot of things that no one ever knows I've heard), a PPTL who was told by our ETL-Log after almost 14 years that she "Should probably start looking for another job", and most recently our APTL who had been with the company for just about 10 years was walked out after being told by his boss that "We felt that you and Target just need to move apart"

That all being said, those of us that have been there for 10+....have started watching our backs. It's 100% not the company I started working for a little more than 10 years ago, that's for sure.

Is everyone seeing 1. Pressure to quit or 2. Firing ? Or both ? I am good with any change and I won’t quit. Will I get a warning that I am on the fence to get fired for lack of performance so I can improve or will it simply be leave now ???!!! I feel an ulcer starting.

Is everyone seeing 1. Pressure to quit or 2. Firing ? Or both ? I am good with any change and I won’t quit. Will I get a warning that I am on the fence to get fired for lack of performance so I can improve or will it simply be leave now ???!!! I feel an ulcer starting.
Being pressured to quit and then be threatened to be fired. It's not necessarily being adaptable to change.

An etl at my store just forced out on loa right now. So they can use their 16 weeks of vacation pay and not lose it.
So if you are here for 10 + years long time make lots more than a new hire and have 4 months of vacation pay then your out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back