Archived Funny Things you hear on the walkie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cart Attendant: Code yellow. Code yellow.
LOD: What's the description?
CA: She has a white shirt and blue jeans.
LOD: Where was she last seen?
CA: Domestics.
LOD: Okay team we need one TM by each exit. Stay with the parents.
CA: She also had a black purse with her.
LOD: .............
LOD: How old is she??
CA: 23.
LOD: Switch to 3.
LOD: (30 seconds later) Cancel Code Yellow. Cancel Code Yellow. Cancel Code Yellow.

So funny our new electronics TM always responds with Rodger in a serious way:

Operator: Electronics call on 2280.
Electronics TM: Rodger!
My last job, we would be super serious with walkie talk. Roger, ten-four, etc. So it was hard to switch to target protocol. But, we would do these really cute nick names for each other and the bosses. So when our management was actually seen it was, "kitty Kat, we've got a code pink! 10-4."

Me: Hey LOD?
LOD: Yeah whats up?
Me: Go to 2.
LOD: Hey on 2, what do you need?
Me: Ok there is a tire out here in the middle of the parking lot. Do you want it to stay here, or do you want it rolled away.
LOD:.....................................uh.........................a tire?
Me: Yes, a tire.
LOD:............I'm not sure what to do with that.
Me: Okay don't worry about it, I'll take care of it.

Needless to say, that tire's story didn't have a happy ending.
I actually have a picture somewhere of a tire in the Big Lots parking lot. It was upright which was the reason I took the time to take a picture of it

SFS keeps our walkies on channel 2, like backroom. They'll sing over the walkies. It's hilarious.

This is how you get written up. It's not fair to the team members who do their jobs and keep the volume on.

I do my Job , in the backroom....we really work hard back there , so I don't know what the hell you are talking about. I turn it off because sometimes it's too much , BR here , BR there , BR.....holy crap,

I do my Job , in the backroom....we really work hard back there , so I don't know what the hell you are talking about. I turn it off because sometimes it's too much , BR here , BR there , BR.....holy crap,

Then that means that you aren't doing your job, and you are part of the problem. It's your duty to respond to walkie calls for backroom, since y'know, you are backroom. Even if you're deep in the 11AM CAFS or something, you should at least acknowledge the walkie and either tell them you'll get it soon or have the LOD grab it.

The problem with Guest Service taking calls (at least in my store) is that they are almost always helping a guest, so when the phone rings and they're with a guest there is nothing they can do and the call just loops back to the operator. If we get busy, I ask the operator to park any guest service calls on 2280 so that I can take them on my cordless phone when I get a chance.

Weird, our guest service doesn't even have a phone that rings in such a manner. ie. We always park GS calls on 2280-2284, but never directly rings to guest service.

Lets call this ETL Bob

STL: Bob come in
ETL: Go for Bob
STL: Can you meet me in my office
*30 minutes later*
TM: Team, does anyone know if Bob is here?
STL: Team, Bob has left for the day

o_O

Has Bob been seen at your store since then?

A new guy, everytime someone told him to go to line 4 thought they said "lane 4" and would run up to the register 4. It was 3 or so times before we figured out why he was coming up there it was hilarious

That's why we say channel 4. No one's mistaking channel for lane or aisle, etc.

I got the dreaded , Lisa, go to four. At he time i didnt know that meant i was in trouble. Be warned. Dont go to 4 . At least give them time to cool off

P s and take a deep breath.

Getting in trouble always makes me want to quit
We'd never use 4 for anything like that.

3 is used for conversations that don't need to clog up channel 1. 4 is used if 3 is already being used. Or if we have a special task, ie. Yesterday 4 was used for the GS(TL/A)'s to direct the person at the front of the line which register to send people to next.

Last edited:
TL: Cat, please Cat.
Me: Go for Cat.
TL: Cat go to four.
Me: On four.
TL: Can you go over to the fitting room and help the girls over there.
Me: sure, with what though?
TL: There's a mouse and they won't stop screaming, can you go catch it?
Me: okay... seriously?
TL: Yes, seriously, I'll get you breakfast if you do.

sometimes my job is weird.

How many of you switch channels to 4 when you hear one member of management tell another to Go to 4?
It's what wearing an ear-piece is far then a TL/ETL/STL wont over hear you do it.
This happened Friday sure it's happens in other stores. Will use mike for this team member.
Me: mike come in
Mike: go for mike you can hear an echo
Me: never mind mike
Mike: go for mike am in the bathroom thump thump

Please don't respond if your in the bath room specially if your taking a crap
My STL called a TL over the PA because he was ignoring the walkie while in the bathroom. So answer the damn walkie but say you're indisposed atm.

Weird, our guest service doesn't even have a phone that rings in such a manner. ie. We always park GS calls on 2280-2284, but never directly rings to guest service.

At my store, they usually transfer calls to the service desk, but if they can't pick up and it rings back, the operator parks it and calls it out over the walkie so the GSTL/GSA can answer if needed.

Yeah, we have 4 registers and there's one red phone at each register, and each phone has its own extension so the operator can just directly transfer calls to their extensions.

Yeah, we have 4 registers and there's one red phone at each register, and each phone has its own extension so the operator can just directly transfer calls to their extensions.

Hmm, that might be possible at our store then too. The phones are there, but I've never heard them ring, and no idea what their extension is or if they even have one.

Then that means that you aren't doing your job, and you are part of the problem. It's your duty to respond to walkie calls for backroom, since y'know, you are backroom. Even if you're deep in the 11AM CAFS or something, you should at least acknowledge the walkie and either tell them you'll get it soon or have the LOD grab it.
Pretty much this. I work in backroom and we always have to respond, no matter what. The Team Leader with us gets fed up with how impatient these other TM's are and he always has to ask them to stop talking and standby so he can get to the subtract app on the PDA. He's not the only one though, we all go through it. My other backroom team members are a lot faster at responding on the radio than I am. Sometimes it seems like they already have the PDA ready because they won't ask the TM to standby and request the DPCI number right away. They make me feel so slow.

My favorites are when you call for someone by their name and you get this...

Me: Jay come in.
Not Jay: Go for Bruce.
Me: JAY come in.
Still not Jay: Go for Ashley.
Me: Jay I'm looking for Jay.
Nope not Jay: Go for Mark.
LOD: Who are you calling for?
Me: Jay
LOD: Go for the LOD
Me: NO I'M CALLING FOR...
Jay: Go for Jay.

Do people not know their own names? Especially when they don't even sound remotely similar? I know the walkies are shit but damn!

I'm a TM but our ETL has the same name as me. People are terrible at specifying which one of us they want over walkie so I've gotten where if they don't specify it's me, I tune my name out completely. However, yesterday was particularly bad as we were both stationed in electronics for opening on thanksgiving and we both kept turning around everytime someone talked to either of us.

I'm a TM but our ETL has the same name as me. People are terrible at specifying which one of us they want over walkie so I've gotten where if they don't specify it's me, I tune my name out completely. However, yesterday was particularly bad as we were both stationed in electronics for opening on thanksgiving and we both kept turning around everytime someone talked to either of us.
Lmao ^

I literally have the same problem. HR and I share a name, so people have to be super specific when calling one of us over the walkie. She does sometimes send me to deal with annoying guests sometimes, though, when a TM calls for her to come handle a problem. It's actually a pretty fun game. The rudest, most obnoxious guests in the world get the best looks of confusion when I walk away and five minutes later she walks up and claims that she was just speaking to them. It's beautiful.

I literally have the same problem. HR and I share a name, so people have to be super specific when calling one of us over the walkie. She does sometimes send me to deal with annoying guests sometimes, though, when a TM calls for her to come handle a problem. It's actually a pretty fun game. The rudest, most obnoxious guests in the world get the best looks of confusion when I walk away and five minutes later she walks up and claims that she was just speaking to them. It's beautiful.

You mean ETL-HR I assume? Not sure why any other HR position would be dealing with guests.

Ours sadly has nowhere near that much personality. There are other females at our store with the same name, but she'd rip any of them a new asshole if they pretended to be her, let alone wouldn't encourage them to do so :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back