Archived Gap raises its minimum wage to $10/ hr over next two years

Status
Not open for further replies.

qmosqueen

Perishable Assistant Wizard
In and Out Burger starts their people at $10 an hour now.

While Washington D.C. bickers, the Gap (GPS) effectively raised its own minimum wage to $10 an hour. The company says the wage increase will impact 65,000 of its 90,000 employees in the U.S. and will be phased in over the next two years.

read the rest of the story here:

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/brea...mum-wage--walmart-waits-for-dc-155505554.html

Come on Target wake up and folloew suit !!!

They are still a crap company to work for. $10 is not enough to put up with their shit. And if you thought hours were bad at Target its luxury compared to Gap stores.. This is all from personal experience.

SPOT is going to have a hard time if Kshama Sawant has her way in Seattle:

600x39922.jpg

http://15now.org/

In and Out Burger starts their people at $10 an hour now.

Amazon starts their people at around $12 here and based on what I have seen of their process, it's not much different from what I do minus ladders. Too bad their scheduling requirements don't really jibe with my availability.

So if minimum wage is raised will the cap placed on TMs be raised also? Will longer standing TMs get a boost to be that percentage higher than brand new TMs?

Raising minimum wage will only frustrate existing TMs who could be making the same an hour as new people

Lowes and Ikea both near my store $11 an hour to start as a cashier! Target $8 an hour.:confused:

I'm glad the gap raised their starting pay. Their managers were starving!

The home depot next door to my store starts at ten something and if you make it past 90 days, apparently, you get a raise of a dollar or so. They're hiring. I considered applying, but I told myself no more retail jobs.... Annnd most of the guys who work at that hd are creepy.

Hobby Lobby starts at $14/hr. I've applied there many times but it's so hard to into that place as people don't tend to leave. It's only 5 minutes from my house whereas Target is close to 20. What I'd save on gas.....

Hobby Lobby starts at $14/hr. I've applied there many times but it's so hard to into that place as people don't tend to leave. It's only 5 minutes from my house whereas Target is close to 20. What I'd save on gas.....

Well Hobby Lobby just opened up and the $14 wage is just for supervisors. Also note I will never work for that company for moral reasons. I will not work for a company that puts it's religious rights over the rights of everyone else.

What sucks the most about raising the minimum wage this significantly is that those of us that have put in our time to finally get to that wage will now be making the same wage as a new employee and we are salary capped. After their first wage increase new employees will be earning more than many experienced employees . Yippee Skippee.

I think the raising the minimum wage does more harm than good. I know the reasoning probably has good intentions and the idea of raising it sounds good but it just seems like there would be a lot of consequences. I would think that retail stores would fire a lot of people and also have hiring freezes. How will the big dogs at the top maintain their big piece of the pie if they have to pay minions more money? Won't inflation and the cost of everything basically go up in order to cover the cost of all the raises in wages?

Not as much as you might think.
The important part is that there will be more money in the system, the will be used to buy things that are needed by the people, thus more activity in the markets and then more jobs will be created, not less.

If you give a big corporation a tax cut they will take the money and put it someplace where safe where it will earn money for them (think the Cayman Islands).
If you give the average person a raise they are going to use it to improve their day to day life, which means a boost to the local economy.

I think the raising the minimum wage does more harm than good. I know the reasoning probably has good intentions and the idea of raising it sounds good but it just seems like there would be a lot of consequences. I would think that retail stores would fire a lot of people and also have hiring freezes. How will the big dogs at the top maintain their big piece of the pie if they have to pay minions more money? Won't inflation and the cost of everything basically go up in order to cover the cost of all the raises in wages?

No class consciousness?

I think you have fell too the propaganda that the capitalist class keeps feeding us. Yes, the big wigs will always try to fight this tooth and nail. This is why us workers need to unite and fight. We have to remind the bosses that we are the ones propping them. If they will not give them what we need. Well... We would just have to force them too.

The cost of the product is minimal or none at all. Here are some sources how minimal or none the impact can be:

"Walmart could pay workers $14.89 an hour without raising prices"
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/...workers-14-89-an-hour-without-raising-prices#

"A $10.10 minimum wage would make a $16 DVD cost an extra penny"
http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2014/02/21/3317901/walmart-minimum-wage-prices/#

Food at McDonalds may cost an extra 2%
http://www.forbes.com/sites/beltway...-wage-would-be-good-for-wal-mart-and-america/

tumblr_llfkvc0TTQ1qekfcko1_400.jpg

What sucks the most about raising the minimum wage this significantly is that those of us that have put in our time to finally get to that wage will now be making the same wage as a new employee and we are salary capped. After their first wage increase new employees will be earning more than many experienced employees . Yippee Skippee.

How about demanding your wages too be higher? Ever think of that?

10 dollars just seems too much. I am not an expert on math but if I ruled the universe, I would hire a team of highly renowned and respected accountants and mathematicians and ask them to figure out if raising the minimum wage to 10 dollars would be a good or bad idea. Would it create higher inflation and higher prices in goods and services? Would it make taxes go up?

I just want to have enough money so I don't have to worry about money like I do. Being able to feel that would make me happy financially.

You wanted a highly renowned and respected economist?
Here you go, Robert Reich worked for Clinton when we actually had a surplus.
He's being a bit more conservative and calling for $9.00 an hour.

Not buying it. I needed some diagrams and graphs that showed numbers and figures for the argument that it's a good thing. I'm a skeptic.
For me personally, I think 50k a year would be enough for me or at least make me comfortable. I am single and have no children which means more money for me. It sounds selfish but hey this is America and America is a business first, country second.

Raising minimum wage is legislated. After that.... yeah. We have had base pay raised at our store and minimum wage raised in our state. Nobody but the minimum wage employees saw a benefit.

Raising minimum wage is legislated. After that.... yeah. We have had base pay raised at our store and minimum wage raised in our state. Nobody but the minimum wage employees saw a benefit.

That is not what I meant. You should be asking that your wage should be higher. If the company can pay them 15 bucks. They can pay you 20 or more. SPOT has the money.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most people have a number for the amount of money they would be satisfied making a year. Mine would probably be 50k a year. I have no wife and no kids so that means all the money goes to me after taxes. I still think that Target will make a lot of cuts and have hiring freezes if wages go up to a 10 dollar minimum. I wouldn't be surprised if Target stooped to get some self chedck out registers. You have to see it from the perspective of the big dogs. They want to make the most money while spending the least amount of money and they also want to accomplish that without having to make any sacrifices financially for themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back