Archived Gay/ lesbian/ LGBT - any ETLs, STLs, DTLs, or higher?

Status
Not open for further replies.

calinstocks

GSTL, Bay Area
I am genuinely curious if anyone has come across any members of the LGBT community in Target leadership. In my district, it would appear everyone is predominately white and predominately straight -- as in, everyone is white and straight, and there are a few Asians mixed in there. What have your experiences been in terms of diversity in the upper ranks? Is everyone getting a fair chance?

Reactions: slm
Well, we had a person who was in a district leadership role who was a lesbian. She did her job well . She decided to move on. I also know we have had several gay etls through the years...no one ever thought less of them because of it . If they did no one said anything . Also, some leaders ( be it at the store level or beyond) may be gay and no one knows you cant always look at someone and know that they are gay etc.

My DTL is a gay man. Same with my Starbucks DM (and his predecessor).

A couple of TLs and our PMT are gay. Our STL is really big on LGBT rights and hosts a trip to a nearby city for their annual gay pride parade, with probably 30% of the store going.

I'm gay and so is one of my peers. We're the only leaders, that I know of, that are gay in my store. We've trained a couple of gay ETLs for the district.
As far as everyone getting a fair chance, I'm not sure. I definitely haven't had any unfair treatment at my store, but I obviously can't speak for others.

My STL when I left was Phillipino. My ETL-HR when I started was Indian (as in the country). She was since promoted to STL (much to our delight....we were happy to see her gone). We had a black ETL when I started...and another black SrTL. They were both termed eventually. My favorite GSTL turned PMT was Muslim.

When I left, we had a TL who is Puerto Rican and another Hispanic TL as well.

Everyone was straight.

Our store leaders are Black, White, Asian, Indian, & Filipino.
Had a sprinkling of gay execs & TLs.
A non-issue at my store.

4 of my etls are black. Another 2 are gay like myself. One of our replens is muslim. Our stl's brother is gay, so overall diversity is not of issue in my store.

My store is pretty racially diverse. STL, ETL-LOG, ETL-HR, CTL, one of the flow TLs are black. I think one of my TLs is Indian by his last name idk he's prob mixed. ETL-Ops and VML are hispanic. Gay/lesbian TMs scattered throughout the store. The rest of us TMs are diverse too. I do live in a pretty diverse area tho which is pretty cool.

My store is overall really gay TM wise. Leadership wise, we had a gay ETL who left to another store and a bisexual ETL who also left so our gay levels are severely low.

My old store executives are: white, white, white and straight, straight, straight. There is one gay TL. All of the TLs are white. Diversity: NOPE!

There are a ton of gay people in my store. I would seriously estimate about 30 % of the store is either gay or bi, including one TL. I live in Southern California.

I've noticed the most diversity in the ETLs, but it could just be that we cycle through them the most, thus you see more faces.

As far as race, that's pretty diverse here as well.

LOL @ all of this...

I just wanna make more money here! I don't care who you wanna bump uglies with or what gawtdang bathroom you want to use.

Just give me (for as hard as I work!) a fair wage!

Thank you.

Target is a pretty big advocate of diversity and LGBT community. If you find your store isn't terribly diverse, it could just be your area. Example...are you in Utah? Idaho? You get the idea.

LOL @ all of this...

I just wanna make more money here! I don't care who you wanna bump uglies with or what gawtdang bathroom you want to use.

Just give me (for as hard as I work!) a fair wage!

Thank you.

That wasn't really the question, but thanks for that useless comment, I guess?

Just to address everyone above at once-- it's so great to hear of diversity at other stores. One thing I admire about Target is how many women I see in leadership, for example, so changing the conversation in order to make the stereotype of a manager something besides white and straight is fantastic. I really love this company!

My Hr and Ap etl are dating it's obvious to everyone! It's not easy you cross one u cross them both..

Only area that seems to be shrinking is older workers; evidently spot doesn't think gray hair is hip.
Many of the older folk at my former store are always looking over their shoulder; the older ETLs dye their hair & one went on a crash diet after a GTL visit (not that they were heavy but reeeeeally slimmed down to scary skinny).

Only area that seems to be shrinking is older workers; evidently spot doesn't think gray hair is hip.
Many of the older folk at my former store are always looking over their shoulder; the older ETLs dye their hair & one went on a crash diet after a GTL visit (not that they were heavy but reeeeeally slimmed down to scary skinny).
I see that... especially now that overnight has transitioned to a 4 am shift and they have to help out guests now :/

We have a very diverse store. Yes, gay, lesbian, trans, and half our team members are bilingual.

We are a pretty mixed bunch as far as gay, straight, trans, old, young--but mostly white at the moment.

I can understand the concern if someone is denied a job because of their sexual orientation, but otherwise why does it matter? Nobody ever asked me my orientation. It's not their business. I have never asked anyone about their sex life. It's not my business. We don't typically have sex at work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back