Archived Get ready

Status
Not open for further replies.
Efficiency, efficiency, efficiency. There will not be a "slashing" of hours. Merely cutting down on wasteful hours. I'm on board with that!!

im with u on that, there are at least 5 or 6 team members on the flow team at my store that we could easily do without, they are masters at walking around the store doing nothing for hours.....

I'm a Flow TM and I will say we do have some lazy people. However, if I'm scheduled till 11am, and our RWT is estimated at 9am to finish the truck; you best believe I am taking my time to get my adequate hours. If I'm scheduled to said time, I'm staying till that said time. But there are days where Pfresh don't need help, don't need any extra cashiers, and hardly any challenge. So to sum it all I will slow my pace so I'd be one of the 5-6 people asked to stay to take lunches

I'm a Flow TM and I will say we do have some lazy people. However, if I'm scheduled till 11am, and our RWT is estimated at 9am to finish the truck; you best believe I am taking my time to get my adequate hours. If I'm scheduled to said time, I'm staying till that said time. But there are days where Pfresh don't need help, don't need any extra cashiers, and hardly any challenge. So to sum it all I will slow my pace so I'd be one of the 5-6 people asked to stay to take lunches

.....and ^^that^^ is what will be eliminated.

.....and^^that^^is why my team has a hard time making daily goals. You say you're a team member.....A team is a group of people with a full set of complementary skills required to complete a task, job, or project. I think you're stretching that...literally.

So you'd be cool with them taking back pay from you when you call in? Basically what you're advocating, if you were scheduled it, you should get paid for it (regardless of the quality of your work), so the opposite should also be true, right?

You guys are literally missing the point. If I'm scheduled till 10, I'm working till 10. There might not be things they need me to do, but they ALLOW me to stay on the clock because I'm one of the very few that stay day in and day out after our scheduled shift if we don't make RWT. There are other lazy workers that slack off, then there are some that have "prearrangements" and leave after 8am break before the truck is even done. Yes I admit I don't hustle as fast every shift. But I get my job done. And I rarely call in, there is no excuse my store is only 5 min away.

You guys are literally missing the point. If I'm scheduled till 10, I'm working till 10. There might not be things they need me to do, but they ALLOW me to stay on the clock because I'm one of the very few that stay day in and day out after our scheduled shift if we don't make RWT. There are other lazy workers that slack off, then there are some that have "prearrangements" and leave after 8am break before the truck is even done. Yes I admit I don't hustle as fast every shift. But I get my job done. And I rarely call in, there is no excuse my store is only 5 min away.

yeah and they would have a hard time at my store getting the team out early on any normal day. There is not a soul on my team who trusts the management or believes anything they say. It seems that new team members only make it a week or two before their programming is corrupted and they start making jokes about great team cards and mocking the tl's/etl's...

"Oh I think we can do it, we can move at the speed of light and get out of here at 10:30 am, even though unload took until 8:15 and it's 1700 push. We can do it guys!"

yeah and they would have a hard time at my store getting the team out early on any normal day. There is not a soul on my team who trusts the management or believes anything they say. It seems that new team members only make it a week or two before their programming is corrupted and they start making jokes about great team cards and mocking the tl's/etl's...

"Oh I think we can do it, we can move at the speed of light and get out of here at 10:30 am, even though unload took until 8:15 and it's 1700 push. We can do it guys!"

GTC's???? what are those???

Target is simply raising the bar. They have competitors, and they need to continue to run a successful business. Sure, payroll cuts blow, but from a business standpoint, they need to continue to be profitable year in and year out. I don't get the whole "us vs corporate" mantra that this site has developed. Flow team simply needs to pick up the pace. I worked flow for several years, and the team we had when I started could walk circles around the team that's in our store right now.

Target is simply raising the bar. They have competitors, and they need to continue to run a successful business. Sure, payroll cuts blow, but from a business standpoint, they need to continue to be profitable year in and year out. I don't get the whole "us vs corporate" mantra that this site has developed. Flow team simply needs to pick up the pace. I worked flow for several years, and the team we had when I started could walk circles around the team that's in our store right now.

You have a valid point.
Spot does have to compete and needs to stay successful so that we can continue to get paychecks.
However the "us vs corporate" mentality that you are talking about comes from years of being the solution to whatever problem Spot is facing.
The old saying of "If you're a hammer, everything looks like a nail.", applies all too well to Spot.
We are those nails.
Payroll cuts are always the fastest and easiest way to show results when you want to look like you are accomplishing something.
Reinvesting, making sound investments (in this country - sorry Canada), paying your people a living wage so that they are loyal and give 100% ...
There are many options that don't include making people have to look for second or third jobs to pay the rent.
As to the flow team, we have many of the same faces we did when I was working flow but the store has increased by 1/3 in volume.
They are working their asses off and their hours are going to get cut? WTF?

We are A volume. Our flow team is scheduled for less than 4 hours, then asked to stay every day. Some do, some don't. They are working the wave method which is a MAJOR failure. Etl, Srtl are constantly screaming out how much time they have left for each area, pushing everyone to work faster, and they still aren't getting done. We are starting every morning with boxes, tubs, flats on the floor.

I'm embarrassed how bad our store looks at 8am....

I experienced the same on the flow team. Why do you suppose it is that folks on our flow teams are less productive?

You may want to reconsider who initiates the "worker vs. corporate" atmosphere. Can you point me towards the last time a Target executive (an actual exec) took ownership for a poor decision that harmed the lives of peon team members? At Target, you hear much about "taking ownership." How often have you heard leaders of the company take ownership of poor decisions that adversely affected those below? Can you imagine what that might inspire in the folks below if that was actually done? Can you imagine what it inspires when it is not done?

You have a valid point.
Spot does have to compete and needs to stay successful so that we can continue to get paychecks.
However the "us vs corporate" mentality that you are talking about comes from years of being the solution to whatever problem Spot is facing.
The old saying of "If you're a hammer, everything looks like a nail.", applies all too well to Spot.
We are those nails.
Payroll cuts are always the fastest and easiest way to show results when you want to look like you are accomplishing something.
Reinvesting, making sound investments (in this country - sorry Canada), paying your people a living wage so that they are loyal and give 100% ...
There are many options that don't include making people have to look for second or third jobs to pay the rent.
As to the flow team, we have many of the same faces we did when I was working flow but the store has increased by 1/3 in volume.
They are working their asses off and their hours are going to get cut? WTF?

Your post contradicts itself. You imply, well no, you outright state that zeeks point is valid, then spend the rest of your post complaining (which is what his post was mostly against).

Also, I don't know what your store is like, nor do I know what any of the other posters on this site's stores are like. That being said, the general negativity and "whininess" of this site is bizarre to me. I haven't worked for Target for very long, as many of the folks on here know, but I've been around long enough to get a sense of my store, and to visit/train/assist in stores around my district... it doesn't fit the image portrayed on here. Maybe my district is just the bomb-diggity, maybe my execs, STLs, etc. are simply the extremely positive exception to the norm, but I doubt it. I think there's just an infestation of butt-hurt on here.

I like my TLs, I like my Execs, I like my STLs, I like my business partners, and I like my DTL. None of them are perfect, some of them suck, but by-in-large, they work hard, they care, they try, and most deserve the positions they are in. I'd like to believe I've just got the best peers and bosses on the planet, but odds suggest I don't. So where's the disconnect between my reality and the things many on here portray? I see a lot of sour grapes, a lot of angst, and a lot of whining, but I don't see many realistic solutions being offered.

What is your role in Minneapolis at headquarters, exactly?

So what does the kool-aid taste like?

You're right, though: Corporate isn't the enemy. The Guest is the Enemy. :sarcastic:

No corporate roll here! Just stating that the people that work in HQ have jobs to accomplish as well. They have people breathing down their neck JUST like the TL-LOG is breathing down yours when it comes close to 8 AM and there is still freight all over the floor. At the end of the day, it's a business, and businesses strive to be successful. Do people get the short end of the stick? Of course, but welcome to the world of business! If they aren't pinching for every penny that they can, who's to say the next store coming along isn't? You have to look at the bigger picture.... more than just at the fact that you are tasked with impossible assignments, but from the light that, at the end of the day, Target wants to be #1. If that means that you have to work a little harder at your JOB, then that's what it's going to take. There is no enemies... we are collective one big body of people all putting forth the work to make Target the best retail store out there! :D

Your post contradicts itself. You imply, well no, you outright state that zeeks point is valid, then spend the rest of your post complaining (which is what his post was mostly against).

Also, I don't know what your store is like, nor do I know what any of the other posters on this site's stores are like. That being said, the general negativity and "whininess" of this site is bizarre to me. I haven't worked for Target for very long, as many of the folks on here know, but I've been around long enough to get a sense of my store, and to visit/train/assist in stores around my district... it doesn't fit the image portrayed on here. Maybe my district is just the bomb-diggity, maybe my execs, STLs, etc. are simply the extremely positive exception to the norm, but I doubt it. I think there's just an infestation of butt-hurt on here.

I like my TLs, I like my Execs, I like my STLs, I like my business partners, and I like my DTL. None of them are perfect, some of them suck, but by-in-large, they work hard, they care, they try, and most deserve the positions they are in. I'd like to believe I've just got the best peers and bosses on the planet, but odds suggest I don't. So where's the disconnect between my reality and the things many on here portray? I see a lot of sour grapes, a lot of angst, and a lot of whining, but I don't see many realistic solutions being offered.

Well let me describe the nature of the butthurt. After all there are numerous types of butthurt, and describing the nature of this particular butthurt should help with the healing process...

I'm sure the "whiners" are the people doing all the work that keeps target going and allows it to remain profitable...

The gatekeepers are people who have it really dang good at spot...ie they are etls or above and get paid a lot of money without actually doing anything...

Any time I here someone defend target, I automatically am suspicous they are a gatekeeper. But like you said, maybe you lucked out and work in a really good district, that very well could be!

I experienced the same on the flow team. Why do you suppose it is that folks on our flow teams are less productive?

You may want to reconsider who initiates the "worker vs. corporate" atmosphere. Can you point me towards the last time a Target executive (an actual exec) took ownership for a poor decision that harmed the lives of peon team members? At Target, you hear much about "taking ownership." How often have you heard leaders of the company take ownership of poor decisions that adversely affected those below? Can you imagine what that might inspire in the folks below if that was actually done? Can you imagine what it inspires when it is not done?
Personal, from my store, it was the lack of accountability transferred over from one leader to the next. The crew I started with knew of their responsibilities, and the repercussions for not following through. Being a fearless leader really benefits the team, and constantly pushing your team to give their 100% day in and day out is key. Too many people want to befriend everybody in the store, and are afraid of confrontation. I wasn't there to make friends when I worked flow, and neither was the TL. A job is a job. If you aren't willing to do the work, I'm sure there's 10 people waiting in line to take your position. Keep pushing not only yourself, but your peers to achieve their fullest potential.
Example! When I would unload the trucks, I could easily out thrown anybody in the building. There was the easy way out of just slowing down to match the person across from me, or there was the less easy route in pushing that person to give their 100%. Friendly banter would often result in that person wanting to wipe the floor with me, and would ultimately result in truck unloads being completed in under an hour on the biggest of trucks.

Everybody plays a roll when it comes to processes at Target. The intermixing of each individual person is actually pretty unique to see. We had an issue of a crucial team member showing up 10 minutes late every day. We often had to wait around for that team member to come back before we could even start the unload. To that team member, it may not seem like a big deal, but it actually throws the process off entirely. Morale is down because everybody is frustrated with a team member showing up late, and big picture wise, it sets the whole process back ten minutes. Sure, ten minutes doesn't seem like a lot, but because of that incident, it could kill the morale of the team, forcing them to work slower and making the ten minutes possibly twenty minutes.

BUT! At the end of the day, it's up to the team members. No matter how hard a team leader or exec tries to motivate the team, if they don't want to be motivated, they wont. Set the example... be the black sheep of the group. Your superiors will recognize that (if they are competent..) and you will reap the rewards!

And to top it all off, CHALLENGE THEM! Challenge your exec to take ownership of their areas! I can't tell you how many times I sat in my ETL-LOG and STL's office to discuss how to improve our flow team process (at this time, I was still a team member). You can't go in there guns-a-blazin though... you have to be respectful and hear them out. If they shoot you down, build up that respect. Invest the time and energy into gaining as much knowledge about your workcenter as you can. Come up with action plans to better the team. It may seem like it's not your job, but if you truly seek out to better your team and others that work with you, it will get you far... trust me! I speak from personal experiences!

Logistics seems to run okay at my store AFAIK, we don't have a ton of leftover freight in the morning or anything (except the occasional Checklanes tub/smartcart).

However I can see some stores having problems with their Logistics process... Target seems to stick the kind of people on Flow, who they wouldn't want interacting with guests during the day. Theres some sketch people on our flow team.

Well let me describe the nature of the butthurt. After all there are numerous types of butthurt, and describing the nature of this particular butthurt should help with the healing process...

I'm sure the "whiners" are the people doing all the work that keeps target going and allows it to remain profitable...

The gatekeepers are people who have it really dang good at spot...ie they are etls or above and get paid a lot of money without actually doing anything...

Any time I here someone defend target, I automatically am suspicous they are a gatekeeper. But like you said, maybe you lucked out and work in a really good district, that very well could be!

Again, not a gatekeeper here. I busted my butt for years working flow team... often feeling unappreciated. But at the end of the day, it's a job. If you really hate your job that much, then surely there is a person that would take your spot with a better attitude. Optimism is key, and developing a sour attitude towards your execs does nothing but influence your thoughts towards them. Are there good actions often over-shadowed or misconstrued by your preconceived notion that they are all lazy and have no idea what they are doing? Maybe they lack the knowledge about your workcenter that you currently obtain, but you fail to share it. Show how much you care about the success of Target, and leave it at that. If nothing comes from it, maybe that store isn't for you! We aren't all evil people, I promise!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back