Archived Get ready

Status
Not open for further replies.
Logistics seems to run okay at my store AFAIK, we don't have a ton of leftover freight in the morning or anything (except the occasional Checklanes tub/smartcart).

However I can see some stores having problems with their Logistics process... Target seems to stick the kind of people on Flow, who they wouldn't want interacting with guests during the day. Theres some sketch people on our flow team.

Same at my store - sometimes a flow TM will pick up a cashier shift and its always awkward lol

Your post contradicts itself. You imply, well no, you outright state that zeeks point is valid, then spend the rest of your post complaining (which is what his post was mostly against).

Also, I don't know what your store is like, nor do I know what any of the other posters on this site's stores are like. That being said, the general negativity and "whininess" of this site is bizarre to me. I haven't worked for Target for very long, as many of the folks on here know, but I've been around long enough to get a sense of my store, and to visit/train/assist in stores around my district... it doesn't fit the image portrayed on here. Maybe my district is just the bomb-diggity, maybe my execs, STLs, etc. are simply the extremely positive exception to the norm, but I doubt it. I think there's just an infestation of butt-hurt on here.

I like my TLs, I like my Execs, I like my STLs, I like my business partners, and I like my DTL. None of them are perfect, some of them suck, but by-in-large, they work hard, they care, they try, and most deserve the positions they are in. I'd like to believe I've just got the best peers and bosses on the planet, but odds suggest I don't. So where's the disconnect between my reality and the things many on here portray? I see a lot of sour grapes, a lot of angst, and a lot of whining, but I don't see many realistic solutions being offered.

Interesting, you are whining about other people whining on a website that is about letting off steam which includes whining. Talk about your Machiavellian plans...

You see, we see Target as it actually operates and not as visitors. We have to be there every day through their good and bad parts. Whenever visitors are coming by then all the stops are pulled out to make sure the best face is put forward which makes any visitation completely worthless for a true comparison. You add that to the fact that DTL's have turned completely worthless then you will see things from our point of view. I listened to one of these walks and our ETL told them that if he actually handed out hours the way planogram was assigned for their pog setup then we would have no time for the salesfloor at all. They nodded and said, "Well, it's not like they can't do both at the same time." They want team members to break the laws of physics to get the job done. That actually gave me a nosebleed because of the amount of brain cells I lost trying to comprehend it.

As for my Target and the effect on payroll cuts? In the last two months I have been assaulted, electrocuted to the point of burnt flesh, and most recently I was kind of kidnapped by a Meth addict and later forced to relinquish my cell phone to enable a drug deal (Frankly it just got bizarre after that). I think we are more than entitled to whine.

Since Target has done away with any and all team member meetings as a way to vent then they have to accept the fact that it is going to go out onto the floor/internet.

Again, not a gatekeeper here. I busted my butt for years working flow team... often feeling unappreciated. But at the end of the day, it's a job. If you really hate your job that much, then surely there is a person that would take your spot with a better attitude. Optimism is key, and developing a sour attitude towards your execs does nothing but influence your thoughts towards them. Are there good actions often over-shadowed or misconstrued by your preconceived notion that they are all lazy and have no idea what they are doing? Maybe they lack the knowledge about your workcenter that you currently obtain, but you fail to share it. Show how much you care about the success of Target, and leave it at that. If nothing comes from it, maybe that store isn't for you! We aren't all evil people, I promise!

Zeek, chill out. This is a place to let off a bit of steam. Yes, most of us have to keep a great fff attitude at work and do a bit of kissing butt to keep our hours, but that doesn't mean we have to go home and keep up that fff attitude. We come here to hash out problems, give advice, and yes, do a bit of griping, so we can go back to work in the morning and start all over again.

Interesting, you are whining about other people whining on a website that is about letting off steam which includes whining. Talk about your Machiavellian plans...

You see, we see Target as it actually operates and not as visitors. We have to be there every day through their good and bad parts. Whenever visitors are coming by then all the stops are pulled out to make sure the best face is put forward which makes any visitation completely worthless for a true comparison. You add that to the fact that DTL's have turned completely worthless then you will see things from our point of view. I listened to one of these walks and our ETL told them that if he actually handed out hours the way planogram was assigned for their pog setup then we would have no time for the salesfloor at all. They nodded and said, "Well, it's not like they can't do both at the same time." They want team members to break the laws of physics to get the job done. That actually gave me a nosebleed because of the amount of brain cells I lost trying to comprehend it.

As for my Target and the effect on payroll cuts? In the last two months I have been assaulted, electrocuted to the point of burnt flesh, and most recently I was kind of kidnapped by a Meth addict and later forced to relinquish my cell phone to enable a drug deal (Frankly it just got bizarre after that). I think we are more than entitled to whine.

Since Target has done away with any and all team member meetings as a way to vent then they have to accept the fact that it is going to go out onto the floor/internet.

Sounds like you have issues far beyond that of your employer. Also, I'd like the specific part of my post that was whining.

Well let me describe the nature of the butthurt. After all there are numerous types of butthurt, and describing the nature of this particular butthurt should help with the healing process...

I'm sure the "whiners" are the people doing all the work that keeps target going and allows it to remain profitable...

The gatekeepers are people who have it really dang good at spot...ie they are etls or above and get paid a lot of money without actually doing anything...

Any time I here someone defend target, I automatically am suspicous they are a gatekeeper. But like you said, maybe you lucked out and work in a really good district, that very well could be!

Saying ETLs get paid "a lot" is a pretty big stretch considering the hours most (not all) of them put in. Maybe relative to a cashier, but heck, I make more than most of the ETLs in my store (in terms of dollars per hour).

Sounds like you have issues far beyond that of your employer. Also, I'd like the specific part of my post that was whining.

No, I have issues because Target, our employer, does not care about our safety or our ability to make sales. Specifically their idiotic thinking that killing all hours on the sales floor is good for the company. It does nothing but lower sales because people cannot get what they want. Defending this abhorrent practice is kind of immoral.

Also, I don't know what your store is like, nor do I know what any of the other posters on this site's stores are like. That being said, the general negativity and "whininess" of this site is bizarre to me.
Doesn't get much more whiny than that.

Saying ETLs get paid "a lot" is a pretty big stretch considering the hours most (not all) of them put in. Maybe relative to a cashier, but heck, I make more than most of the ETLs in my store (in terms of dollars per hour).

idc how many "hours" they "put in." Either way if you don't think starting out at 45k a year isn't a lot of money (and some people don't, i've seen that point of view on this site many times), then you don't know the value of a dollar.

I know I do.

Zeek, chill out. This is a place to let off a bit of steam. Yes, most of us have to keep a great fff attitude at work and do a bit of kissing butt to keep our hours, but that doesn't mean we have to go home and keep up that fff attitude. We come here to hash out problems, give advice, and yes, do a bit of griping, so we can go back to work in the morning and start all over again.
Woah woah woah... no need to chill out here. Perfectly content actually. It's just aggravating to see a bunch of people PURELY gripe. Where was the last positive Spot thread here? Nothing but hatred towards incompetent corporate workers is all I've seen since I've been here.
maybe if they lack the knowledge about my workcenter...they shouldn't be in charge of my workcenter...:)
Where you completely knowledgeable of every aspect when you started working in your work center? No? Didn't think so.

Where you completely knowledgeable of every aspect when you started working in your work center? No? Didn't think so.

It took me all of two days to become proficient at flowteam and worth the money they paid me. After a week I was probably close to having mastered 95 percent of it.

My store gets a lot of fresh out of college/never had a real job types for etls...I swear it takes them about six months to become worth their weight in salt.

It took me all of two days to become proficient at flowteam and worth the money they paid me. After a week I was probably close to having mastered 95 percent of it.

My store gets a lot of fresh out of college/never had a real job types for etls...I swear it takes them about six months to become worth their weight in salt.

Have you thought about assisting them on their path?

Have you thought about assisting them on their path?

Sadly, too many of these leaders have egos the size of Jupiter and are above taking advice from their underlings. Not all of them, but many.

Woah woah woah... no need to chill out here. Perfectly content actually. It's just aggravating to see a bunch of people PURELY gripe. Where was the last positive Spot thread here? Nothing but hatred towards incompetent corporate workers is all I've seen since I've been here.

I completely agree with you. I've been wanting to say something about the negativity for awhile but I figured I'd just get shunned for it.

I agree that it does take time for one to become proficient in a new job. But wouldn't it make more sense for someone to learn the workcenter before they are put in charge of it? For example, a new GSTL should be familiar with everything guest service related before they try to lead the front end. Likewise, an Instocks TL should have an understanding of Instocks before they are put in charge of the Instocks team, and the same with every other workcenter. And the ETLs should understand team leadership before they are put in charge of their underling TLs.

I completely agree with you. I've been wanting to say something about the negativity for awhile but I figured I'd just get shunned for it.

The way I see it, there is no way to make everyone happy. If corporate is happy (maximum profits and minimum spending), then team members aren't. If team members are happy, then corporate probably isn't saving enough money for themselves to be happy. It's not necessarily a war between stores and corporate; it's just the way business is in this day and age.

Likewise, if someone were proficient in their area & applied for a TL position, leadership hires someone from outside. Their rationale is that they won't have to replace someone who's been promoted, only the position that's being filled. With that move, they are telling the TM passed over that they aren't good enough for TL but good enough to train their new TL. This TL will also be unfamiliar with company culture & will be dealing with simmering resentment from the TM who is training them. It also removes any incentive for the TM to continue performing at a high level because they won't be rewarded for their efforts except for pittance raises. The age of being rewarded for hard work seems to be applied sporatically at best.

No, I have issues because Target, our employer, does not care about our safety or our ability to make sales. Specifically their idiotic thinking that killing all hours on the sales floor is good for the company. It does nothing but lower sales because people cannot get what they want. Defending this abhorrent practice is kind of immoral.

Doesn't get much more whiny than that.

You're delusional if you think that is whining, in fact, it brings in to question your comprehension of the English language.

I agree that it does take time for one to become proficient in a new job. But wouldn't it make more sense for someone to learn the workcenter before they are put in charge of it? For example, a new GSTL should be familiar with everything guest service related before they try to lead the front end. Likewise, an Instocks TL should have an understanding of Instocks before they are put in charge of the Instocks team, and the same with every other workcenter. And the ETLs should understand team leadership before they are put in charge of their underling TLs.

That may be true, but there are aspects of the position that I had no idea even existed until I took this job, and the people that have worked here for 20+ years have acquired that knowledge and helped me learn more about it. Being opened minded and not too confrontational when your teaching your leaders goes a long way.

There's no guidebook to becoming a successful leader, because frankly... everybody and every situation is different.

idc how many "hours" they "put in." Either way if you don't think starting out at 45k a year isn't a lot of money (and some people don't, i've seen that point of view on this site many times), then you don't know the value of a dollar.

Nifty that you don't care how many hours that you work, not relevant, but nifty. I'd rather have a 20 hour job that pays 20k, than a 80 hour job that pays 40k, but I value my time away from work, maybe you don't. 45k is not a lot of money, it's just silly to say otherwise. It's hardly poor, but it's middle class, at the very best and lower-middle class would hardly be a stretch after taxes and school loans.

Your level of cocky/delusion is difficult to comprehend, I'm not quite sure how anyone fits in a room with you and your ego.

And the ETLs should understand team leadership before they are put in charge of their underling TLs.

One fundamental issue I have with Target (and really corporations in general) is the idea that you can "learn" how to be a leader; it's complete BS. You either can lead, or you can't, it's not math, it's an innate ability. Anybody can be a cheerleader, but cheerleaders aren't leaders, their just peppy. It's garbage, it always will be IMO.

It's the only thing I get... "you don't know what you're talking about", "you know nothing", "blah, blah, blah".

One fundamental issue I have with Target (and really corporations in general) is the idea that you can "learn" how to be a leader; it's complete BS. You either can lead, or you can't, it's not math, it's an innate ability. Anybody can be a cheerleader, but cheerleaders aren't leaders, their just peppy. It's garbage, it always will be IMO.

It's pretty much a given at this point (thank you, Spot) that you can't teach leadership; rather, it's something you develop through experience rather than through a couple weeks of poorly executed training. What I meant is that ETLs should understand how their TLs are leading the TMs so they can, in turn, lead the TLs and manage the TMs effectively rather than having that disconnect for which so many ETLs, STLs, etc. are notorious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back