Archived Getting coached for calling off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update: I ended up not getting coached. Someone ended up taking my shift yesterday. I'm still thinking of calling the hotline.
Are you under 90 days? Do you have any sick hours? If you are under 90 days they can do whatever. However if you have sick hours and you call out sick ( once in 6 months as you say ) they are not allowed to ask you for a doctor notice as long as you submit your sick hours for the day in question. The sick hours are to be used not to go against you . You don’t use it you lose them. Now I know my ETL ask me to call out from time to time just to use my hours

All leadership is different. It's usually used as a means to an end, unlike most companies we can't fire an individual on the spot for attendance, so we coach as a means to keep documentation on a team member in case your attendance continues to slack severely and it is easier to replace you, this is a fortune 500 business not a household or a high school. Sounds scary but Your job is fine so long you dont keep doing it.

Last edited:
I got coached for attendance once. It was hilarious. They only did it because they were upset it was on ad set Sunday. Tried to say I had a pattern. The last Sunday I wasn't there prior to that one was because my father died, I had to drive several states away, and THEY forgot to take me off the schedule. I even got bereavement for that day. I laughed in the person's face that coached me.

This is what my attendance is normally like, I've called out twice so far this year. There was about a 5 month gap in between. I'm never late or leave early.

I got coached for attendance once. It was hilarious. They only did it because they were upset it was on ad set Sunday. Tried to say I had a pattern. The last Sunday I wasn't there prior to that one was because my father died, I had to drive several states away, and THEY forgot to take me off the schedule. I even got bereavement for that day. I laughed in the person's face that coached me.

This is what my attendance is normally like, I've called out twice so far this year. There was about a 5 month gap in between. I'm never late or leave early.
My attendance is like yours. If they ever coached me I would be pissed.

Go in, clock in, then right at the time clock just stick your finger down your throat and puke.

When they ask you if you're alright and try to tell you to go home, just say "are you sure? I don't want to be coached"

Go in, clock in, then right at the time clock just stick your finger down your throat and puke.

When they ask you if you're alright and try to tell you to go home, just say "are you sure? I don't want to be coached"
Yeah, instead of being a decent human, be a piece of shit and game system.

I don't know if it's just my store or if every Target is doing this now. If you call off its an automatic coaching. I called off today because I wasn't feeling well and my LOD said to bring in a doctor's note so that it won't count against me. Now, my attendance isn't bad but why is Target or at least my store requiring a doctor's note for every call off? You can have great attendance for 6 months straight but if you call off once you get a coaching. The last time I called off I brought in the proper documentation from the hospital. One of my GSTLS attempted to coach me but didn't have any of my attendance right. I had to correct him and he ended up ripping the report and basically said it wasn't a coaching. What are everyone's thoughts on this?
At my store, I have coach team members who were either late or absent at least once the previous week (per the attendance report printed MyTime). Then it goes to a CCA if I have to speak to this team member 3 or 4 times in a certain amount of time. Attendance at our store for some team members is getting really bad and thus we have had to go this. For those team members that just have an issue once in a great while I let them know that there is not much worry about unless they make a bad habit of calling out or coming to work late.

I asked to be sent home last time because my face was pale white and my stomach was all kinds of messed up. My GSTL asked me why I didn't just stay home. I told him because I didn't want to get coached. He felt bad for me and told me to go home.

Are you under 90 days? Do you have any sick hours? If you are under 90 days they can do whatever. However if you have sick hours and you call out sick ( once in 6 months as you say ) they are not allowed to ask you for a doctor notice as long as you submit your sick hours for the day in question. The sick hours are to be used not to go against you . You don’t use it you lose them. Now I know my ETL ask me to call out from time to time just to use my hours
I've been with Target for almost two years. I'm going to speak with my ETL-HR directly again an ask to see the sick time policy because this attachment says otherwise.

Attachments

• Cannot Be Coached.PNG
    Cannot Be Coached.PNG
    83.6 KB · Views: 50
I've been with Target for almost two years. I'm going to speak with my ETL-HR directly again an ask to see the sick time policy because this attachment says otherwise.
I find it funny that they single out San Francisco, Emeryville, Berkeley and Los Angeles. I believe they are still in the state of California.

I find it funny that they single out San Francisco, Emeryville, Berkeley and Los Angeles. I believe they are still in the state of California.
I have, in the past but not currently, worked in one of these cities. This city had a mandatory sick time ordinance stronger than California state law, mandating more sick hours. If the other three cities have similarly stricter laws, that would explain them being explicitly called out.

Last edited:
Under my state law if a pattern develops an employee can be held accountable. ie calls out sick every Friday. You can be disciplined if you misuse your sick time.

If my menstrual cramps are strong enough that I can't drag my ass out of bed to go work through them, I'm sure as hell not gonna waste the money on a co-payment (which is almost as much money as I would bring home working that day) so I can get a doctor's note to say that I have cramps. Not to mention that if they're so bad I can't work, they're also so bad I can't drive to get to the doctor.
My docs note would be bloody pads. There! What else do you want? Shit in my underwear from on my way to the doc.

Under my state law if a pattern develops an employee can be held accountable. ie calls out sick every Friday. You can be disciplined if you misuse your sick time.
I understand that but I or others shouldn't be coached for calling off once in a blue moon. The last time I called off was back in May. I brought in documentation to excuse me of that absence. One of my GSTLs attempted to coach me an ended up ripping the report because the report was not accurate. I was not coached but it was attempted.

Way it works in California is, the use of the state mandated sick pay is legally defined as not an attendance issue and you can never punish or forbid its use, or retaliate against somebody for using it. For call outs beyond state mandated sick time, you can legally discipline people, so certain TMs who call off unpaid all the time can be coached or terminated if management wants to deal with the issue.

As others have said, attendance is a focus of Spot right now. Our Leadership straight up said for our Region, we are the worst for the company. Given Spot is just about all over, I take it that’s pretty big. I know everyone case is different, so I’m not going into anything specific. All I’ll say is if you are an Habitual offender, you better find another job. If you are not, you need not worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back