Archived Going to a Meet&Greet/Interview for Store Transfer, Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So basically I’m a Senior Team Leader now, and Target is opening a new flex format store somewhere close to me. So I told my HR I wanted to transfer since I was moving anyway, and I got set up to go this Meet & Greet/Interview thingy this week.

I had already meet with an STL from the district (I’m moving districts) and we had gone over stuff just about me, he told me about flex stores, and blah blah. He and his ETL HR really liked me.

So now I have this Meet&Greet/Interview thing this Wednesday but I’m not sure what to expect. My old STL made it sound like it’d be a round robin interview guide process, where’d I’d interview with the STL of the new store, the DTL, and maybe someone else. My new STL made it sound like getting a guide pulled is a “maybe” thing, and that this would be more of a get to know you, see where you fit in.

I’m usually pretty quick on my feet with stories and the such. But if anyone has been through something similar, I’d love to hear any advice, stories, blah blah blah.

PS. This is more of an HR question, but maybe someone here can help. I’m transferring from a decent district to a much busier district. And I’d be changing from a Senior Team Leader to a Express Senior Leader. Pay rate change? Cost of living is also much higher in the new district if that makes any difference. Thanks!

All TLs are Seniors at Express stores, I believe. I think the paygrade is the same, but you should get more for cost of living.

The hell is a flex store

They have tiny backroom.

All TLs are Seniors at Express stores, I believe. I think the paygrade is the same, but you should get more for cost of living.

Be mindful of this move, it sounds lateral and I hear working at express stores is a lot tougher on team leads since there is no ETLs.

There isn't a whole lot of room to grow but if the pay raise makes it worth it go for it.

I'm a senior and also interested in going to a flex store and I've told my stl this. What's the max raise typically you can negotiate? Or if there's any seniors from a flex store already in California that might have some input about pay? My stl said the max raise would be around 20% but I'm shooting for 30% because I would have to relocate.

They have tiny backroom.

Be mindful of this move, it sounds lateral and I hear working at express stores is a lot tougher on team leads since there is no ETLs.

There isn't a whole lot of room to grow but if the pay raise makes it worth it go for it.

I feel like these stores give a little more exposure to team leads. I hear most execs talking about them and I feel that most district would be in them, seeing as they're new stores. Gives the seniors more of a chance to shine rather than the execs walking the visits and taking the credit. But I've only heard from a few stls and some light on the subject would be great.

I am in a different region than you but from what i can see. The start rate for a 12 dollar store n17 is 17.75 and the max rate is 28.40.

Worth a shot but don't price yourself out of being considered.

Similar situation. Going for a meet and greet/possibly interview for a senior position at a flex format store. Does anyone have insight on how these stores work? Do their team leaders not own specific departments? My STL said they are more process. I want to have my best foot forward tomorrow to sell the STL on why I want the position and why I'd be best for it if you guys have any insight and tips

Are you already a senior? If you have time, there is some info on Workbench about small stores. Core roles and job descriptions. I think TLs have primary areas, but work in all areas. So, you might be TL for salesfloor, but unloading truck one day, and closing LOD the next.

Are you already a senior? If you have time, there is some info on Workbench about small stores. Core roles and job descriptions. I think TLs have primary areas, but work in all areas. So, you might be TL for salesfloor, but unloading truck one day, and closing LOD the next.
No I'm just a TL so it would be a promotion

Also interested in this topic, I’m looking to relocate next year and I’m surprised to hear that there’s an ‘interview’ process for lateral transfers.

Also interested in this topic, I’m looking to relocate next year and I’m surprised to hear that there’s an ‘interview’ process for lateral transfers.

A TL to senior is not lateral. Remember at express stores all TLs are seniors.

Tls don't have to interview with the dtl but seniors generally do.

Last edited:
TL to express store is not lateral. All express TLs are seniors. As PMT, you are already at PG 45, but will likely need to interview because of LOD shifts. PMT is shared with other nearby store, I think.

From what I have read, the express stores don't have their own PMT. I think most stores will want to speak with you before taking you on. Some will just want a chat, but others will treat it more like an interview.

I have some insight here. I was a senior before opening/working in a flex format store and it was considered more of a promotion than a lateral move. I also received a raise. In an express store, your job code would be SrTL-LOD, and you would essentially do everything an ETL does in a regular Target. It's definitely more responsibility than being a senior in a regular store, but also a great way to stand out and get close to your district and group leadership.

We share a PMT with a neighboring express store. If you are already a PMT, you would likely just do a meet and greet to see if you're a good personality fit for the store/district.

I have some insight here. I was a senior before opening/working in a flex format store and it was considered more of a promotion than a lateral move. I also received a raise. In an express store, your job code would be SrTL-LOD, and you would essentially do everything an ETL does in a regular Target. It's definitely more responsibility than being a senior in a regular store, but also a great way to stand out and get close to your district and group leadership.

We share a PMT with a neighboring express store. If you are already a PMT, you would likely just do a meet and greet to see if you're a good personality fit for the store/district.

what’s your best advice for someone who is about to leave there current store tl postion to be a SR tl at a new target express store ? ( things to brace for? To prepare for ? Things you would do over in the transition from the big store to the smaller format etc .. thanks in advance for any advice you care to lend )

what’s your best advice for someone who is about to leave there current store tl postion to be a SR tl at a new target express store ? ( things to brace for? To prepare for ? Things you would do over in the transition from the big store to the smaller format etc .. thanks in advance for any advice you care to lend )

Your experience will depend on a variety of factors. Are you already a senior? If not, get as much practice as possible running LOD shifts. You will be LOD-ing two to three times a week, so you won't really have too much time to spend in your primary workcenter. It's important to train a good team who can take care of any issues in your area with minimal guidance. You will often feel like you're being pulled in a million directions, so make sure you have a good attitude and are planning ahead. Use your training period wisely and learn as much as you can about as many different processes as possible. You will often need to jump in and do POG/pricing/research/culling/orders/truck unload/store transfers/zone/push/cash office yourself, so make sure you're knowledgeable and comfortable being global. And lastly, communication is key! Make sure you are updating you peers and your STL on any projects, developments, and plans related to your area.

Good luck! It's not rocket science, and I'm sure you'll be fine!

This will be my first senior position, but I have been a Gstl for 8 years .. I’m rusty on my globalness , but I’m gonna have a decent training schedule to get caught up on everything you mentioned .. and as you said it’s not rocket science . Thanks for your breakdown on what I’m getting into .. I’m hearing the same thing from everyone I ask about learning as many processes as possible because I’m gonna need to do it myself .. gonna be an adjustment not having a team for everything

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back