Archived Good Bye Food Avenue

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I started 14 years ago, the generic Food Ave wasn't crappy. We had grills, fryers and a wall oven. It was more like being a short order cook than heating up frozen food or putting out pre packaged food. I hated our Pizza Hut transition and I missed the days where I could cook and prep with the help of another TM. Now they are lucky to have more than one person scheduled at one time. I doubt that we will get D'Amico or Freshii since we have Pizza Hut, and we don't even have a Starbucks!
Back in the day you could get a great burger and fries at Food Ave....they also had a great breakfast

Last edited:
I loved the old Food Ave breakfast combos; relatively decent food that was pretty cheap. Food Ave used to have a pretty decent selection of food until the powers that be decided that gross margin trumps all and got rid of everything that was more complex than "take out of freezer, heat, and serve". Unsurprisingly, sales dropped like a rock.

The way I see it... most people aren't eating the same stuff every day, and can afford to splurge on something "unhealthy" from the Target Food Ave.
Lol at people "splurging" on unhealthy snacks at food ave. People who eat helthy diets aren't going to waste their carbs and fats on barely edible Pizza Hut express. Food Ave is gross and it doesn't appeal to the target audience.

Lol at people "splurging" on unhealthy snacks at food ave. People who eat helthy diets aren't going to waste their carbs and fats on barely edible Pizza Hut express. Food Ave is gross and it doesn't appeal to the target audience.
Funny thing is some of that "gross" food does well over a million dollars in sales, alone every month in some stores. Guess no one who shops at those high-volume stores have any taste buds at all.

Funny thing is some of that "gross" food does well over a million dollars in sales, alone every month in some stores. Guess no one who shops at those high-volume stores have any taste buds at all.
Lol @ a million dollars from food ave in a month. That's 33 big ones a day. $33,300. Real Pizza Huts don't even make that much lmao! Food ave company average is less than $1000 daily iirc.

Food Ave does not make a million dollars a month. I'm the second highest volume Starbucks in the company and we don't even make a million a month, we made that in less than a year, food Ave doesn't even come close.

Those are sales, not profits.

You've clearly never been to a AAA or AAA+ Store.
If you make a million month in a AAA+ store, you are making between 10 - 15% of the store's sales. HAHAHAHA who seriously believes that's possible?
At a $100,000,000 store (AKA: AAA+) with a food ave making 2% of store sales (company average of is about 1.5%), you still only make an average $166,000 per month.

Food Ave does not make a million dollars a month. I'm the second highest volume Starbucks in the company and we don't even make a million a month, we made that in less than a year, food Ave doesn't even come close.

Obviously, I'm not working with live analytics from the company, just was repeating a figure I've been told. Perhaps I'm mistaken. Beyond that... even if I was incorrect, I don't think replacing Target Cafe with some "Freshii" is going to encourage long term sales. I think Target will make money as a landlord, collecting Rent Payments.. however, they'll lose some shoppers who are just drawn in with the popcorn, not to mention.. lose the sales from Cafe.

I'm just glad it's a Beta for now.

While our Pizza Hut Express seems to do well, others in our area do not. I hear they throw a lot of food away.

Food Ave with Pizza Hut are required to make a minimum of all their items. At my Target Cafe they have to make 137 pans of pizza a day and a case comes with 90 I believe. It's a lot of food that doesn't get sold.

I think this is brilliant. I always thought they should just do away with food avenue because it's far too simplistic. And the menu was misleading. It says they have sandwiches and salads....but what they mean are they have prepackaged options in the cooler, which aren't even that good. They might as well say they serve lasagna, but it's actually just a frozen Lean Cuisine.

If any of you have ever been to a "Famima!!" I wish they had something similar to that, or putting an actual restaurant.

Guests in our store are basically garbage eaters so Freshii would be a waste.
We have countless regulars who come for their popcorn/soda combos, pretzels, Jamba smoothies, pizzas & hotdogs.
The salads, sandwiches & wraps - not so much.
Back when we had the breakfast burrito with the chopped onions & bell pepper, we'd take the leftover onion/pepper & sprinkle them on the pepperoni pizzas along with some crumbled sausage & bacon for a few TMs who requested them.
Wicked good.

Food Ave with Pizza Hut are required to make a minimum of all their items. At my Target Cafe they have to make 137 pans of pizza a day and a case comes with 90 I believe. It's a lot of food that doesn't get sold.
:eek: That's so unprofitable. It would probably be more beneficial to just bring in a third party. Let them eat the losses and spend their own payroll. We could put the food ave team literally ANYWHERE else and they would be more productive towards profits.

Guests in our store are basically garbage eaters so Freshii would be a waste.
We have countless regulars who come for their popcorn/soda combos, pretzels, Jamba smoothies, pizzas & hotdogs.
The salads, sandwiches & wraps - not so much.
Back when we had the breakfast burrito with the chopped onions & bell pepper, we'd take the leftover onion/pepper & sprinkle them on the pepperoni pizzas along with some crumbled sausage & bacon for a few TMs who requested them.
Wicked good.

I don't even really care if it's healthy or not. I care more about whether or not it's "real" food. I would take a peanut butter and jelly I made myself over most of the current Food Ave options. If I'm going to pay for cheap, yet still overpriced for what it is food, I'll take my business to Del Taco, or my own kitchen. Lol.

Von's and Albertsons have Delis that serve both hot and cold foods. Those are in grocery stores so they cater to more like family dinners and cold cuts. But they also have a good selection of cold salads, freshly prepared custom sandwiches, and even hot foods too. I think an ideal store cafe would pull inspiration for Delis that serve lunch options, and higher end convenience stores like Famima. Of course all of that would be much more complex, and it doesn't exactly guarantee sales either. They would have to serve some pretty damn good food to get people in there just for that.

I wish we offered soft serve ice cream or frozen yogurt.

Von's and Albertsons have Delis that serve both hot and cold foods. Those are in grocery stores so they cater to more like family dinners and cold cuts. But they also have a good selection of cold salads, freshly prepared custom sandwiches, and even hot foods too. I think an ideal store cafe would pull inspiration for Delis that serve lunch options, and higher end convenience stores like Famima. Of course all of that would be much more complex, and it doesn't exactly guarantee sales either. They would have to serve some pretty damn good food to get people in there just for that.
The thing is.. and I have to remind myself this, most (non-super) Targets are not trying to replace your neighborhood Safeway. Most of the GM Stores are really trying to compete for the "all in one" shopping trips, or the "in between" crowd. They aren't really trying to become a full-scale grocery store, and aren't designed to be either.

Most Super-Target's do carry a lot of what you just mentioned. Stuff like Rotisserie Chicken, Fresh Sushi, Hot Food, Prepared Sides and so on. I don't think Target has any plans to build any more Super's though, which is sad.. because they are so much better than Wal-Mart's "SuperCenter".

The thing is.. and I have to remind myself this, most (non-super) Targets are not trying to replace your neighborhood Safeway. Most of the GM Stores are really trying to compete for the "all in one" shopping trips, or the "in between" crowd. They aren't really trying to become a full-scale grocery store, and aren't designed to be either.

Most Super-Target's do carry a lot of what you just mentioned. Stuff like Rotisserie Chicken, Fresh Sushi, Hot Food, Prepared Sides and so on. I don't think Target has any plans to build any more Super's though, which is sad.. because they are so much better than Wal-Mart's "SuperCenter".

Well I wouldn't expect rotisserie chickens. But if I could have a freshly made sandwich, I would be happy. Or hell, food on a plate! Lol. I have never been in a Super Target before; I don't think any even exist in my area. I wish they would be more common. My local WalMart just expanded into a SuperCenter, and I now shop there pretty frequently, even though I can save money at Target, and they have a far superior shopping experience and atmosphere. At the end of the day, they just lack in selection.

However, WalMart doesn't even have a cafe, (just McDonalds) yet I still go there. I wonder if other shoppers have the same experience...the cafe just isn't what gets me in the door.

Walmart near my mom's actually has a Subway with decent fare.
My old neighborhood Wal-Mart had a full-scale Subway inside. Another in the area had both a Mcdonalds & Subway, after removing most of the bakery and eliminating some of the produce selection. I considered it a downgrade.

Where I am now.. my closest Wal-Mart is almost 45 Minutes away, and that's with "good" traffic. Yet... we can get to 3 Targets, in 15-20 minutes. Before so, I was pretty partial to Target, now I don't have much of a option :p

At the end of the day, they just lack in selection.
And this is exactly why I don't understand why they have discontinued the building of more SuperTarget's. It seems like the current goal, is to try and refer people to the website for "in-store" pickup. If there was just more room, they could stock more merchandise, which would appeal to more of the people who go into Wal-Mart.

Then again.. when does Corporate ever think? :p

Last edited:
I'm not completely against the healthy thing. I just don't like that particular menu. I assume it'd be like when starbucks came. I was annoyed at first, but now I've already secured my gold status for a 2nd year lol. I got over it. Oh, but I still never got over the primo pizzas going away. The buffalo chicken one was actually really good. I think that was just a test item, though.

Wow, kinda hungry now...

Maybe it's just me, but I would never consider planning to eat a meal in a Target or any other stand alone retail store regardless of the fair offered. You may get me to pick up a snack item (I.e. A pretzel or popcorn) if really desperate. But when I think of going to get my shampoo & desk lamp etc - I don't ever go "Oh, let me get a salad or sandwich & hang around Target some more." And if I do plan on eating while out - mainly when shopping with friends - I purposefully want to select a real restaurant with a full menu & more "intimate" setting - not next to the front doors & registers. From what I gather at my store the majority of people who are making bigger purchases at FA are moms with children - so I'd rather see something more focused at that demographic and nothing thus far seems to really fit that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back