Archived Goodbye XP hello WIN7!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So are any other stores getting their computers upgrade , because today we have them going from windows XP to windows 7.

no idea i just know we got told that they are being upgrade so all the computers where pretty much worthless for most of the time i was at work, no idea how they are now.

A quick pointer in case no one is aware of this..

With the windows 7, when your through with the computer ensure that you log out and close all tabs that are open. Even if you have just a simple report open, the next person that goes to said computer and opens workbench so they can log in, it brings up your workbench automatically. This is same for email and EHR as well. My store called the help desk about it and they told us to ensure logged out and all tabs closed is the only fix.

A quick pointer in case no one is aware of this..

With the windows 7, when your through with the computer ensure that you log out and close all tabs that are open. Even if you have just a simple report open, the next person that goes to said computer and opens workbench so they can log in, it brings up your workbench automatically. This is same for email and EHR as well. My store called the help desk about it and they told us to ensure logged out and all tabs closed is the only fix.

Thank you for this. What a security hole!

I liked the old computers, because I could check when severe weather was in the area. Now they have no address bar, so I have to turn on the tv, and wait, and wait, and wait.

Did they add more memory to the Desktops? Dinosaurs would be 3x worse without a boost.

I guess it depends. Our store is only 4 years old and the dell computer set us up with were core2 based and I believe 2 gigs of ram. Enough to run windows 7 comfortably.

I liked the old computers, because I could check when severe weather was in the area. Now they have no address bar, so I have to turn on the tv, and wait, and wait, and wait.

Not sure what you are looking at. No problem putting things into the address bar in IE here. I do it when I pull up dean's dairy count reports.

So are any other stores getting their computers upgrade , because today we have them going from windows XP to windows 7.

Ours were upgraded a few months ago. It took a day or two, but it was nothing like our ongoing phone system upgrade.

Not sure what you are looking at. No problem putting things into the address bar in IE here. I do it when I pull up dean's dairy count reports.

Our eHR kiosk was like that when we were still running XP - no buttons or anything. Now we have the whole shebang.

The software it was running before loaded eHR automatically, no address bar, but I could right click on help or something and get an address bar. Now eHR is on a desktop, and no way to get a URL bar. This is the computer located in the break room.

Speaking of security holes.

1. Person A logs into Workbench.
2. Person A opens Max FSTL.
3. Person A closes Max FSTL.
4. Person A logs out of Workbench.
5. Note subtle distinction in bolded parts of 3 and 4.
6. Person B logs into Workbench.
7. Person B clicks Max FSTL.
8. Max FSTL opens as Person A.

This works best when Person A is an ETL, Senior TL, or someone in HR. You get to see Timesheet stuff, check who made post-publish schedule edits, etc.

It's been several months since I've tried it though, so I have no idea if it still works. I've found a couple of other ones, but I can't remember them at the moment. A fellow TL has found all kinds of bugs and holes in the PDAs and Workbench. One cool one was when viewing the inventory tracking thingy; the one where you can look up items to see their cost, retail price, etc. There was something funky he could do to have group leader level access, allowing access to all kinds of things no one lower in the chain could ever hope of doing or even seeing. He was also able to do some really crazy things with the PDA, but a few months back it looks like some updates hit and closed one of the major avenues of killing the Target app to achieve access to the underlying Windows system.

On the eHR kiosk, play around with some of the links on the left menubar. Some of the pages have external links that open in full-size windows, which allow you to get to any webpage you want.

jesus this is gonna be hellacious on ap. there is a known issue with new graininess in images which won't be fixed until a rollout patch in like 2nd quarter. GOD HELP US ALL.

Tried in the breakroom today; couldn't get an address bar. Clicked and shift clicked all the links.

I know a couple of selected stores that just had recently received their Windows 7 upgrades suddenly had their PC's replaced with new Dell 7010 i5's. Speaking of Windows 7, the brand new register roll-out has been put on hold indefinitely until a fix can found due to some... compatibility issues with the server infrastructure. So those lucky stores that had their sparking new registers racked up in their receiving area, they'll probably be there wrapped up for a bit longer.

I know a couple of selected stores that just had recently received their Windows 7 upgrades suddenly had their PC's replaced with new Dell 7010 i5's. Speaking of Windows 7, the brand new register roll-out has been put on hold indefinitely until a fix can found due to some... compatibility issues with the server infrastructure. So those lucky stores that had their sparking new registers racked up in their receiving area, they'll probably be there wrapped up for a bit longer.

Is this rollout only for stores with the dinosaur IBM registers? We just got ours replaced with NCRs a couple years ago.

We got ours a few months ago....for some stupid reason, they did 1 computer overnight and decided to do the rest during business hours. 1 didn't work right so they had to restart it, which meant we were down to 2 computers for 2 days!!! Talk about a freaking NIGHTMARE!!!!

All eventually. It is important to point out that support for Windows XP will end April 8, 2014, and most registers are currently running with XP. The new upgrade will bring everything together inline on the same platform (PDA's with Windows 7 CE, Desktops with Windows 7 Enterprise and registers on Windows 7 Enterprise.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back