Archived Got tricked!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I got hired for Price Accuracy and was told I would work days, 8-4:30 M-F with one day off a week and no weekends except around the holidays. So got my first schedule and they had me working 2 weeks night as a cashier, all crazy shifts ( oh and I told the ETL when she hired me I would not work less than 5 hours because I drive 35 miles). Well I was told I had to cross train for cashier for code 1's to help out. Ok I get it, then the next week all nights again with 4 hour shifts. So I called the ETL and said when am I going to train for Price and she said soon and then I told her that my husband switched shifts from days to afternoons because I was told I was working days and she said well you said open availability! Anyway she also said that I would need to work nights and weekend as a cashier to get hours and I said well my husband can't switch back for 6 months and he is mad that I was told I was on days. The ETL totally lied about my job description and hours. If I wanted to be a cashier, I could of had a Job at an Aldi store for $11.55 hour to start, but I did not want to be a cashier, I can't believe how nice I was treated at my interview and orientation,........all lies. Target treats their employees wrongfully! So, I am on the job hunt again. :mad:

No shit, I forgot that was today! I wish it was just a joke, but I did get fooled.

You would never work 8-430 on price accuracy M-F all the time anyways. Its never guaranteed, especially on weeks where there is a small workload. I was getting 40 hours a week (while working sundays also) for pricing during winter, but now that most of the winter stuff has been phasing out there isnt much to mark down. For instance this week I only have 29 pricing hours. It is good to know how to cashier and sales floor for weeks where the workload is small so you can get more hours elsewhere. With that being said, they should not have lied to you and told you that. It is tricky when you tell them you have open availability because they can and will schedule you nights even though they told you you would work mornings. Sounds like they were playing games with you.

I'm sorry you were lied to like that.
It would be easy for me to say that most stores don't do that (and I think that's true) but that doesn't help you.

Unscrupulous people like that make me incredibly angry.
They make the company look bad, they aren't helping their store and only cause more problems by lying then then fix.
That ETL doesn't deserve their job.

I hope you find a better job soon.

Sorry to hear they tricked you.

In my store, starting May, Pricing will start working Mon-Fri 8 am to 4 30 pm, as another way to have more tm's in the floor.

You may try to talk to HR and explain your situation, usually they try to accommodate your schedule.

Good luck

If you put open availability I don't think you can change it for at least the first 30 days or something like that.
If you are looking for a job with set hours and min and maximum time frame, you might want to seriously start looking for a new job because I know at my store, new team members who have problems with schedules and ask etl's when they are going to go to a department, tend to get short crappy hours and crappy times.
In my store that's considered not being a team player - which is sort of funny because team work is not a specialty at my store - most are there for themselves and will throw anyone under the bus the first chance they get.

If you put open availability I don't think you can change it for at least the first 30 days or something like that.

We didn't' allow availability changes until after 90 days. Even then you could only modify a weekday - unavailable on weekends was always denied. My HR ran this rule, not me. She also wouldn't let us hire unless the TM had open availability.

I had to override the schedule if I wanted a TM who didn't have open availability but would be a cool person to work with.

They may have hired you for Price Change but then when forecasting the hours didn't have enough to put into training for you. I have seen that happen before. We hire, don't have any payroll, and either make the person wait to come on until we can put hours into training or we use them to cashier until we can get the hours into training. However, they should let you know this and not just do it without letting you know why they are doing it. This might not be the case with you it's just something I have seen before.

Sorry to hear they tricked you.

In my store, starting May, Pricing will start working Mon-Fri 8 am to 4 30 pm, as another way to have more tm's in the floor.

You may try to talk to HR and explain your situation, usually they try to accommodate your schedule.

Good luck
Yeah, cause we need more TMs during that time.:rolleyes:

It's been quite some time since we have hired anyone directly into a task team position. We had many complaints from cashiers, sales floor, and flow team members that when task team positions opened nobody was given the opportunity to interview.

It's hard to say how your interview went, what you were lead to believe, and how that did or didn't factor into what your hire-on position became, but as I said, it's not quite regular that newly hired team members are put directly into a task team where job duties are measured with a specific critique that other jobs may not be. I just wonder why the interviewing ETL was talking to you about bringing you on board for such a position.

Our store started having pricing come in mon-fri 8-4:30 2 weeks ago. I haven't seen one of them jump on a register when we call for back up. Haven't seen them changing their routine during power hour either.

It's been quite some time since we have hired anyone directly into a task team position. We had many complaints from cashiers, sales floor, and flow team members that when task team positions opened nobody was given the opportunity to interview.

It's hard to say how your interview went, what you were lead to believe, and how that did or didn't factor into what your hire-on position became, but as I said, it's not quite regular that newly hired team members are put directly into a task team where job duties are measured with a specific critique that other jobs may not be. I just wonder why the interviewing ETL was talking to you about bringing you on board for such a position.

I am finding this out because there are cashiers not happy that I was hired for price. I have learned that there are 3 cashiers that want to move to the sales floor and the position for price was not posted. I did get scheduled for price the week of the 13th, but then my etl only gave me 16 hours.

If you are looking for a job with set hours and min and maximum time frame, you might want to seriously start looking for a new job because I know at my store, new team members who have problems with schedules and ask etl's when they are going to go to a department, tend to get short crappy hours and crappy times.
In my store that's considered not being a team player - which is sort of funny because team work is not a specialty at my store - most are there for themselves and will throw anyone under the bus the first chance they get.
you were right, I asked to get my training started in Price and I was only scheduled 16 hours. Big slap in the face!

I am finding this out because there are cashiers not happy that I was hired for price. I have learned that there are 3 cashiers that want to move to the sales floor and the position for price was not posted. I did get scheduled for price the week of the 13th, but then my etl only gave me 16 hours.

I am sorry they lied to you. Sometimes Spot will say just enough to get you hooked then they pull the switcheroo on you. If it makes you feel better I have been with the company 18 years and I am not working Mon through Fri either.

I'm sorry that you're sad, but I don't understand why you would offer open availability if you don't want to work open availability. Unless of course you were told that you wouldn't get hired if you didn't have open availability in which case you reap what you sow.

As far as working 18 years and not working Mon thru Fri, I don't think people have stopped shopping on Saturday or Sunday. This is retail. That's when most people shop so that's when Target needs Team Members.

BTW, Target could say you tricked them by stating that you have open availability but complaining about working flexible shifts.

I'm sorry that you're sad, but I don't understand why you would offer open availability if you don't want to work open availability. Unless of course you were told that you wouldn't get hired if you didn't have open availability in which case you reap what you sow.
@RedMan have you applied for a retail job recently?

It doesn't matter what the position is, open availability is pretty much a must to even get an interview.

I had open availability when I applied for Flow, even though I knew they only worked specific hours. In the interview, I was told they work 6am-11am on M, W, F, Sa. When I asked to change my availability, I was flat out told no BUT also assured that I would only be working those shifts. I bought it and then a few weeks later they started scheduling me for ad setup on Sunday.

As far as working 18 years and not working Mon thru Fri, I don't think people have stopped shopping on Saturday or Sunday. This is retail. That's when most people shop so that's when Target needs Team Members.
This is retail. And if Target wants happy guests, they need to give hours to the SALES FLOOR TMs and put all of the specialty teams back to early morning/overnight so that they can actually do their jobs.

BTW, Target could say you tricked them by stating that you have open availability but complaining about working flexible shifts.
The only one who was tricked was the TM they hired for a specific job during specific hours, no matter what she said her availability was, but is instead getting random cashier shifts at any day and time.

Did I say any where in any shape or form that people didn't shop on Sat. or Sun. No, I don't think I did. So, no need for the snarky comment ( kinda came off like your are implying I am stupid or something ). The point I was making was that IF I cant work Mon-through Fri after 18 years then someone just hired shouldn't expect the same. Trust me, after all these years I don't need you to explain to me how retail works

It doesn't matter what the position is, open availability is pretty much a must to even get an interview.
If you can't work the hours you said you could when you applied, then you shouldn't apply for retail. That's the point I was trying to make, even tho you and tgtguy didn't like the manner in which I made it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back