Archived Gripes with how/why I was let go. Quick vent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all. Longtime lurker, first time poster here. Not sure if this is the right thread for this post, but if it isn't, feel free to direct me to the right place.

I was let go in December. When I was hired on for Electronics, the first thing I asked was if I was seasonal. I was told that I wasn't, and didn't have much to worry about.
When they let me go, they said I was one of the seasonals being termed.

My biggest issue with Spot was being scheduled alone at peak times, being expected to push all of truck alone, and being expected to help guests/ring guests out. When I walked in on days off, there were always 2+ people scheduled for the rush.

I was borderline harassed by one of the TL's. She literally told me more than once to quit wasting her time. She once came up to me while I had a line of 28+ guests, and told me I wasn't getting truck done and it was pissing her off. Quite literally said "Target isn't paying you to dick around and not get shit done. You either get your shit together, or you're out." while I was checking out guests. Consistently called me off my lunch to yell at me. Other than her, none of the TL's I dealt with seemed to have any issues with me. My electronics TL even said she was shocked to see I was let go and was sure I was going to stay on because I was doing a good job.

I went to my store lead and HR about the specific TL, and the day after, I was called in and let go. On that day, I calculated that it was my 95th day of employment, so I'm not surprised, just a little bit angry about the instances in which I was let go.

Now, a current TM who I added on PlayStation just notified me that some TMs think I was stealing, and that was why I was termed, but that is so far from the truth and I'm a little infuriated.

More than anything, is there anything I can do about the way I felt that I was treated that led to my termination?

I can see why you're upset, but really, just let it go. It's so not worth it to obsess about this - and I've done plenty of obsessing about stuff just like this. That a TL spoke to you in such a way while you were assisting guests is completely unacceptable, and I'm thinking you're well rid of that person in your life. Let it go. (And now that I've put that song into your head, you're welcome!)

I would never speak to any of my TMs in the manner the TL you mentioned spoke to you.... there is definitely more to the story than you are letting on. Like others said you no longer work for spot... good luck.

You are going to have some really bad bosses in your life, I know I have.
The only thing you can do is to use them as an example of what not to do, so that when you are in a position of power you will do it well.
Go on in your life and be the good example.

Sounds like my store but replace mean/rude TL with ETL.

If they thought you were stealing though like others said they would have kept watching until they caught you. Sounds like normal spot rumors to me.

You had a line of 28+ guests?
The store I worked at was in a huge and busy shopping center, of which Spot was the largest store. Our electronics department was dry of product by the time I was let go. It’s one of the busiest in the county.

I can see why you're upset, but really, just let it go. It's so not worth it to obsess about this - and I've done plenty of obsessing about stuff just like this. That a TL spoke to you in such a way while you were assisting guests is completely unacceptable, and I'm thinking you're well rid of that person in your life. Let it go. (And now that I've put that song into your head, you're welcome!)
I feel better about it now that I’ve let out everything that was on my mind. Gives me the initative to finally get out of retail. I have an interview for a job within my field of study next week, and here’s hoping something goes right, because I’m barely scraping by right now haha.

AT my store, it seems every time someone from electronics stops showing up there's always rumors about that TM stealing whether they did it or not. It happened to my SR TL too who was in charge of electronics. Kinds of sucks but that happens.

I'm sorry to hear that you were let go, and it sounds like a bad situation. But frankly, I think you're lucky. With the severe hours cut, you're better off trying to find something more steady than staying on at Target. Good luck with the interview!

I could not have said it any better! When Target is good (to work at), it's fantastic! When it's bad, it's downright terrible! I learned after awhile not to obsess over the bad incidents when they occasionally happened. Just wasn't worth the detriment to my mental/physical health. Luckily, the good always greatly outnumbered the bad in those 13 years I had there!:)

Like others have said, all I can say is that I support your efforts in finding a new job and hope that your interview for the next job works out. I can't believe that you had a line that long and no one came to back you up, and the way that TL scolded you in front of guests was unacceptable and out of line. Based on what you've told us, your store had some serious issues because a good store would never keep a TL who acted like that, so I think it's a positive that you are out of that Target's working environment.

Hey all. Longtime lurker, first time poster here. Not sure if this is the right thread for this post, but if it isn't, feel free to direct me to the right place.

I was let go in December. When I was hired on for Electronics, the first thing I asked was if I was seasonal. I was told that I wasn't, and didn't have much to worry about.
When they let me go, they said I was one of the seasonals being termed.

My biggest issue with Spot was being scheduled alone at peak times, being expected to push all of truck alone, and being expected to help guests/ring guests out. When I walked in on days off, there were always 2+ people scheduled for the rush.

I was borderline harassed by one of the TL's. She literally told me more than once to quit wasting her time. She once came up to me while I had a line of 28+ guests, and told me I wasn't getting truck done and it was pissing her off. Quite literally said "Target isn't paying you to dick around and not get shit done. You either get your shit together, or you're out." while I was checking out guests. Consistently called me off my lunch to yell at me. Other than her, none of the TL's I dealt with seemed to have any issues with me. My electronics TL even said she was shocked to see I was let go and was sure I was going to stay on because I was doing a good job.

I went to my store lead and HR about the specific TL, and the day after, I was called in and let go. On that day, I calculated that it was my 95th day of employment, so I'm not surprised, just a little bit angry about the instances in which I was let go.

Now, a current TM who I added on PlayStation just notified me that some TMs think I was stealing, and that was why I was termed, but that is so far from the truth and I'm a little infuriated.

More than anything, is there anything I can do about the way I felt that I was treated that led to my termination?
If you were regular hire upon your 90day review, your store can decide if they want to keep you on or let you go as you were on probationary hire status.

If your 90 day review was signed off to keep you on, they you would have a case to complain.

A TL should never coach you on the floor. If you on break or lunch, the TL should not coach you. But I would move on. That store sounds toxic.

yeah fuck that store, I would have quit well before that if things were that bad at my store

As for what TMs think, they don't know shit and it doesn't matter anyway because Target is now in your rear-view. TMs without the needed security clearance can only guess as to why another TM was suddenly "fired" and the first thing the clueless people think is "lol they stole something" as if that's the only reason employees are ever let go. Although I suppose if a given store is atrocious enough it's possible that somebody in leadership is a blabbermouth.

yeah fuck that store, I would have quit well before that if things were that bad at my store

As for what TMs think, they don't know shit and it doesn't matter anyway because Target is now in your rear-view. TMs without the needed security clearance can only guess as to why another TM was suddenly "fired" and the first thing the clueless people think is "lol they stole something" as if that's the only reason employees are ever let go. Although I suppose if a given store is atrocious enough it's possible that somebody in leadership is a blabbermouth.
We leak information very tactfully and deliberately at my store lol

At my store they always carried out TMs that were stealing in handcuffs to make a show as a deterrent for any would be thieves amongst the crew. It only happened twice during my tenure, most of the theft in my store was external.

I could not have said it any better! When Target is good (to work at), it's fantastic! When it's bad, it's downright terrible! I learned after awhile not to obsess over the bad incidents when they occasionally happened. Just wasn't worth the detriment to my mental/physical health. Luckily, the good always greatly outnumbered the bad in those 13 years I had there!:)
Well said. I love how you put it that it wasn't worth the detriment to your mental/physical health. Indeed! Just come in, maintain a "neutral" expressionless face when you come in like nothing matters to you or bothers you, think of that "bag" of money, and you will be good.

Well said. I love how you put it that it wasn't worth the detriment to your mental/physical health. Indeed! Just come in, maintain a "neutral" expressionless face when you come in like nothing matters to you or bothers you, think of that "bag" of money, and you will be good.
Thank you, YoNanas :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back