Grocery Pulls

I was put on Final notice because of my priority pull percentages conveniently after our disastrous corporate visit the other day.

My TL can't even explain to me how this is calculated but we won't get into that.

Apparently they are only concerned with what the percentage is at the end of day.

This is ignoring the fact the I am only at work 8 hours out of the a day we are open 16 hours.

The other day when I came in the DCPI was over 300 (i.e. Christmas Candy)

So what is the guideline as to how many DCPI you be able to Push AND PULL in an hour?

IIRC, the goal is 200 dpci per hour, which should be easily obtainable if you're in dry grocery. This should change if your eaches are really high. Our pullers usually generate anywhere from 100-300 dpci/hour, depending on what they're pulling.

IIRC, the goal is 200 dpci per hour, which should be easily obtainable if you're in dry grocery. This should change if your eaches are really high. Our pullers usually generate anywhere from 100-300 dpci/hour, depending on what they're pulling.
I was told it is 40 dpcis per hour pulled and pushed. Dpcis not eaches. I find that hilariously low especially for grocery but that's what the metric we use.

I am really sorry you're going through this stressful ordeal at this time of year. My previous offer to look up data from your store to help make your case that you're working your butt off still stands.

To answer your question, there isn't a corporate guideline for how many DPCIs per hour you can Pull & Stock. That is because there is too much variability between fill groups and stores to create a guideline that applies universally. However, with store specific considerations taken into account, it is possible to create a bell curve distribution of poor performers, average performers, and high performers, and see where you fall.

But even then, you have consider your fill group. A person pulling within 1 or 2 aisles of OTC, is going to have a much better UPH than a personal pulling Household paper, who has to go up and down on a wave pulling from bulk locations. Are you pulling a lot of cases vs openstock, are you going up and down ladders a lot? These questions and more have to be answered.

To possibly assist you in making your case, I will share some anonymized Fill data from my store, which tends to do between $75-83m/year in sales.

In the last 30 days, we have had 29 TMs pull more than 1,000 DPCIs. The average productivity for the store during that period ~126.5 DPCI's per hour. Interestingly, the average productivity of those 29 top pullers was 125.2. This is strictly time in the pull application pulling, not stocking.

uphDPCI.jpg

As we can see from this chart, most people, including the top Fillers have productivity between 100 and 200 DPCIs per hour. Most of these users are in Food and GM. Interestingly, the top 2 pullers are GM, and they pull the most varied batches throughout the store. Think Essentials, Home and Stationery, Toy/Sports, etc. Which means they have the most movement between different stockroom aisles and sales floor locations. So a Fill UPH of 130-160 is more than reasonable. When you factor in stocking time, it's much closer to 60-80 DPCIs per hour.

Now factor in Fulfillment backup, backup cashiering, zoning, guest assistance and anything else, it'll be even lower. So let's just say 50 DPCIs per hour. Over an 8 hour shift, that would be 400 DPCIs Pulled and Stocked. Yet, over the last 30 days, nobody in my store pulled more than 300 DPCIs in a single shift. No one.

I expanded the dataset to include the entire district, which is one of the higher volume districts in the company. Only 15.5% of pullers who had more than 1000 DPCIs pulled in the last 30 days pulled at a rate higher than 200 UPH.

I hope this information is useful to you. Good luck and let me know if I can assist you further.

@Dysprosed - Is this on Greenfield?

The data is on Greenfield, but I exported it to Excel to produce the charts and perform that statistical analysis. You can actually render the same analysis within Greenfield, but it's a bit more technical and wouldn't have been time-efficient for the purpose of responding to this thread.

Datasets used were StoreLogistics.PULL_COMPLETION_MYDAY and StoreLogistics.MYDAY_FILL_TM_PROD

I was told it is 40 dpcis per hour pulled and pushed. Dpcis not eaches. I find that hilariously low especially for grocery but that's what the metric we use.
Yeah, overall time will be lower. We use the 200/hour for departments like Dry Grocery, Tech, OTC, HBA mostly. Aisles in light duty that are quick to pull (and only for pull speed, not push/backstock).

We're obviously not held to that standard for someone pulling bulk, or something with a high amount of eaches.

Thanks for all your answers.

It should be interesting on the 26th when I am not there and the other closer is gone all week.

Actually on Sundays I am the only one in grocery from afternoon until close.

Finally as a Christmas present the other my TL put me on a Final Notice for this.

I thought thanks for the warning because I will then just quit without notice.

This is right after his spiel on how hard it is to hire people in our store and train them.

I am 58 years old and it not like I have never quit, got fired, or laid off from a job before.

I will keep you posted.

Back