Archived Group Leader help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,
Came across this when doing research about my one site interview for a target DC group leader and was wondering if you guys could give me some advice or tell me what its like in a DC

1. I have never worked in a DC and know the basics, My background is store level I have worked as an Assistant Manager for Kmart for just over a year now. I am also a recent college grad (Clemson Dec 14)

Any advice you can give me would be great.

You can except 2 management level employees giving you a Q&A about yourself and how you have handled things in the past relating to your job. Very similar to the store interview process, you may be hired on the spot or you may get a call in a week or so. When I got hired I was hired on the spot and simply told I just needed to have my transfer approved by my TL and I think HR-ETL but I know others (outside target) who did get calls later on.

http://www.glassdoor.com/Interview/Target-Interview-Questions-E194.htm

I think most of the questions I saw on there are similar. Just try to come across as genuine and excited about the position.

If you get in....
1. WORK SAFE
2. WORK HARD
3. BE FRIENDLY
4. It's a marathon not a sprint.

Your likely to see a lot of the people hired on with you not make it out of their 90.

Good luck
From another thread. Thanks @trowa03!

Last edited:
So what kind of worker does well in a DC, like detail oriented, fast mover, etc.

Yes. Review the threads in this forum for more onfo.
Sorry about the redundancy, I just got off work as you know how retail can be and just put up a generic question to get any kind of info. Thanks for your help.

Group leader roles are very different from team member roles though. But here are some qualities that i personally look for in a great group leader:

1. Dont be afraid to get your hands dirty. If you want my respect, show me that you wouldnt ask me to do anything that you wouldnt do yourself.

2. Learning how to do my job is just as important as learning how to do yours. You will be responsible for making decisions that will impact team, like upstaffing or downstaffing. If you dont understand my job, or how my job affects others, then an uneducated decision could cause a lot of problems.

3. Be BRAND, but be REAL too. One of my favorite traits of my current GL. When asked a tough question, my GL will openly say, "Do you want my answer, or Targets answer?". Finding that fine line between being brand and being real can be tough sometimes, you really have to get a good feel for the team to get it down right, but NOBODY wants to hear Targets regurgitated standard politically correct responses all the time.

4. Keep an "open-door" policy and respect feedback. All team members are different, some are high maintenance and some are low maintenance. Some team members will feel smothered or micro managed if you check up on them too much, others will feel neglected or under appreciated if you dont check on them enough. Get a feel for your team and learn how to deal with each. But ALL team members want to know that you would be willing to set aside time for them to talk.

Group leader roles are very different from team member roles though. But here are some qualities that i personally look for in a great group leader:

1. Dont be afraid to get your hands dirty. If you want my respect, show me that you wouldnt ask me to do anything that you wouldnt do yourself.

2. Learning how to do my job is just as important as learning how to do yours. You will be responsible for making decisions that will impact team, like upstaffing or downstaffing. If you dont understand my job, or how my job affects others, then an uneducated decision could cause a lot of problems.

3. Be BRAND, but be REAL too. One of my favorite traits of my current GL. When asked a tough question, my GL will openly say, "Do you want my answer, or Targets answer?". Finding that fine line between being brand and being real can be tough sometimes, you really have to get a good feel for the team to get it down right, but NOBODY wants to hear Targets regurgitated standard politically correct responses all the time.

4. Keep an "open-door" policy and respect feedback. All team members are different, some are high maintenance and some are low maintenance. Some team members will feel smothered or micro managed if you check up on them too much, others will feel neglected or under appreciated if you dont check on them enough. Get a feel for your team and learn how to deal with each. But ALL team members want to know that you would be willing to set aside time for them to talk.

Thanks so much this is a lot of help.
1. I hate sitting still so I have no problem getting my hands dirty. Ask my frieght team today lol. I was the man in the back of the truck pulling the heavy boxes down to help unload in khakis and a polo.
2. I TOTALLY agree. I agree that you don't deserve a promotion unless someone underneath can do your job today which means I should be able to do all of my employees jobs
3. I have never heard it put this way and will be using this no matter where I end up.
4. This is my biggest problem with where I am at. Feeback is never given and if it is has no effect whatsoever on an employees (not managements) career.

You were a great help I will definitely have so more questions if I am offered the job.

Trainer's got most of it down. For me, what I need in a GL:
  • Know when properly up/downstaff
  • Make sure we get the proper communication about what's going on in the other dept's that could effect us
  • Find the balance between trusting us to do our jobs and holding TM's accountable for their actions
  • Try to relate to us. Know what we TM's do. I sometimes feel if some of my past GLs spent a few hours running doors in OB@100% productivity in the August heat, they'd have a new perspective on life.
  • Everything in Trainer's point #3. Nobody likes a corporate cheerleader.
  • Make sure we get our checks/pay stubs in a timely fashion and our PAR forms get pushed through ASAP.

Good luck on your endeavors.

Everything TgtTrainer said x2 (and #3 to the moon and back)

A word of advice; some DC teams have been working with one another for a very long time and when you happen to find yourself in a position of needing to lay down the law, make sure it's worth it. What you may see as a simple behavioral correction can come across as an overhanded attack, not just a correction for that one person (who may very well deserve it); but as a reflection of your character and how you may treat everyone. I've seen GL's (whom I believe to be good people) run out of buildings by their own teams by simply applying pressure to the wrong people for the wrong reasons. (Politics whoooooo)

Hopefully you already know this from your experience at a store level.

Best of luck, it's a rough position.

PS: PLEASE go over number 3 over and over and over... I fight for GL's who can understand that some target rules are completely laughable but can communicate that, and that, they also must enforce those rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back