Archived GSA all next week, minimal training

Status
Not open for further replies.
my store is currently so understaffed. only two gstls, no trained gsas. Hired as Starbucks a year ago, applied for GSA and got the position, but due to their being TWO Starbucks TMs, with no team lead I had exactly one day of service desk training and one day of GSA training. HR today told me I will be an untrained GSA for the next two weeks and the two brand new barely trained Starbucks TMs will be taking my SB shifts.

LOTS of questions. I would rather not call for LOD every 5 minutes so I'm hoping someone can help me out!

• how do you get email setup? our SR GSTL told me she expects me to read and respond to all of her emails and report anything notable to her via email, as well as redcards and surveys. our ETL HR quit two weeks ago so i'm lost. i am in the system as GSA as far as POS and PDA privileges go, but still can't get into email.
  • how exactly do you check cashier performance reports and conversion via workbench? although i'm not supposed to coach they expect me to 'encourage' our underperforming team members..
  • when can i start closing registers? im pretty confident in my ability to close them but if i do it too late i tend to rush and when i rush i mess up...not really an option so i'd like to start that asap.
  • how do you print that slip that shows the status of all registers before beginning to close them? i know its K4 GSTL, but i forgot the rest
  • what do i do with defectives? everyone makes a big deal about them but i know absolutely nothing about them
  • how do i ring alcohol for a minor? i assume suspend the purchase and log in but then i have to leave them logged in and im not supposed to do that...any other way?
  • what do i do when one of our brand new SDTMs returns lots of ESIM, Salvage, Defective, and clearance items, reshops them, and then I'm stuck with a big ribbon of defective stickers and no idea where they go?
  • since we pretty much never have a cart attendent, and no cashiers to spare, who gets to clear the parking lot at night? my stl loves to play cart attendent for some reason but i can't really depend on that..
idk i probably have more. really nervous and kinda annoyed that this is happening cause not only do i have a good chance of screwing up all night, my new SBTMs are not being properly trained and starting to get frustrated which is all on me

THANKS EVERYONE!

how do you get email setup? our SR GSTL told me she expects me to read and respond to all of her emails and report anything notable to her via email, as well as redcards and surveys. our ETL HR quit two weeks ago so i'm lost. i am in the system as GSA as far as POS and PDA privileges go, but still can't get into email.

To access your email, there is a link at the top right of the page in Workbench. Your email login is your TM number and your email password is your Workbench/eHR password. If you are in the system as a GSA there should be an account set up in your name. If there is not, try to talk to your HRTM about it.

how exactly do you check cashier performance reports and conversion via workbench? although i'm not supposed to coach they expect me to 'encourage' our underperforming team members..

I don't remember how *exactly*, but the cashier performance reports are on one of the Guest Survey pages. The survey results & guest comments are on the same report page as the conversion and speed scores.

when can i start closing registers? im pretty confident in my ability to close them but if i do it too late i tend to rush and when i rush i mess up...not really an option so i'd like to start that asap.

I start closing registers about 45 minutes before the store closes, so that the LOD can carve out some time to get the start funds ready. You could probably start the process up to an hour before. But once you get that cash cart out, you are practically chained to it.

how do you print that slip that shows the status of all registers before beginning to close them? i know its K4 GSTL, but i forgot the rest

The function under K4 GSTL is called "Start Closing Registers." I think it's K8.

what do i do with defectives? everyone makes a big deal about them but i know absolutely nothing about them

At my store, the service desk's defectives cart is brought back to the backroom/receiving by the LOD at the end of the night, usually about half an hour before close. I have had to bring it back myself before, though, and your store may vary. I try to coordinate it so that the LOD can come get the defectives after preparing the start funds in the CO.

what do i do when one of our brand new SDTMs returns lots of ESIM, Salvage, Defective, and clearance items, reshops them, and then I'm stuck with a big ribbon of defective stickers and no idea where they go?

Put the white label printer right next to that TM's register and train them to keep an eye on it and tag those items ASAP.

how do you get email setup? our SR GSTL told me she expects me to read and respond to all of her emails and report anything notable to her via email, as well as redcards and surveys. our ETL HR quit two weeks ago so i'm lost. i am in the system as GSA as far as POS and PDA privileges go, but still can't get into email.

To access your email, there is a link at the top right of the page in Workbench. Your email login is your TM number and your email password is your Workbench/eHR password. If you are in the system as a GSA there should be an account set up in your name. If there is not, try to talk to your HRTM about it.

how exactly do you check cashier performance reports and conversion via workbench? although i'm not supposed to coach they expect me to 'encourage' our underperforming team members..

I don't remember how *exactly*, but the cashier performance reports are on one of the Guest Survey pages. The survey results & guest comments are on the same report page as the conversion and speed scores.

when can i start closing registers? im pretty confident in my ability to close them but if i do it too late i tend to rush and when i rush i mess up...not really an option so i'd like to start that asap.

I start closing registers about 45 minutes before the store closes, so that the LOD can carve out some time to get the start funds ready. You could probably start the process up to an hour before. But once you get that cash cart out, you are practically chained to it.

how do you print that slip that shows the status of all registers before beginning to close them? i know its K4 GSTL, but i forgot the rest

The function under K4 GSTL is called "Start Closing Registers." I think it's K8.

what do i do with defectives? everyone makes a big deal about them but i know absolutely nothing about them

At my store, the service desk's defectives cart is brought back to the backroom/receiving by the LOD at the end of the night, usually about half an hour before close. I have had to bring it back myself before, though, and your store may vary. I try to coordinate it so that the LOD can come get the defectives after preparing the start funds in the CO.

what do i do when one of our brand new SDTMs returns lots of ESIM, Salvage, Defective, and clearance items, reshops them, and then I'm stuck with a big ribbon of defective stickers and no idea where they go?

Put the white label printer right next to that TM's register and train them to keep an eye on it and tag those items ASAP.

thanks! very helpful

my store is currently so understaffed. only two gstls, no trained gsas. Hired as Starbucks a year ago, applied for GSA and got the position, but due to their being TWO Starbucks TMs, with no team lead I had exactly one day of service desk training and one day of GSA training. HR today told me I will be an untrained GSA for the next two weeks and the two brand new barely trained Starbucks TMs will be taking my SB shifts.

LOTS of questions. I would rather not call for LOD every 5 minutes so I'm hoping someone can help me out!

• how do you get email setup? our SR GSTL told me she expects me to read and respond to all of her emails and report anything notable to her via email, as well as redcards and surveys. our ETL HR quit two weeks ago so i'm lost. i am in the system as GSA as far as POS and PDA privileges go, but still can't get into email.
  • how exactly do you check cashier performance reports and conversion via workbench? although i'm not supposed to coach they expect me to 'encourage' our underperforming team members..
  • when can i start closing registers? im pretty confident in my ability to close them but if i do it too late i tend to rush and when i rush i mess up...not really an option so i'd like to start that asap.
  • how do you print that slip that shows the status of all registers before beginning to close them? i know its K4 GSTL, but i forgot the rest
  • what do i do with defectives? everyone makes a big deal about them but i know absolutely nothing about them
  • how do i ring alcohol for a minor? i assume suspend the purchase and log in but then i have to leave them logged in and im not supposed to do that...any other way?
  • what do i do when one of our brand new SDTMs returns lots of ESIM, Salvage, Defective, and clearance items, reshops them, and then I'm stuck with a big ribbon of defective stickers and no idea where they go?
  • since we pretty much never have a cart attendent, and no cashiers to spare, who gets to clear the parking lot at night? my stl loves to play cart attendent for some reason but i can't really depend on that..
idk i probably have more. really nervous and kinda annoyed that this is happening cause not only do i have a good chance of screwing up all night, my new SBTMs are not being properly trained and starting to get frustrated which is all on me

THANKS EVERYONE!

I'm a cashier, who may become a GSA soon, so don't know all the answers, but can try and help with some of them:

I've never setup an email account with Target, so no help there.

Also not sure how to check cashier performance reports and conversion via workbench, but, I know how to check these on the PDA/LPDA. When you first login rather than selecting MyWork, select MyPerformance, there's then MyPerformance and Overall Performance options, which show speed scores for every cashier for the day, an overall speed score for all people that have cashiered throughout the day, shows who has used suspend, and how many times, and gives a G/R/Y grade based on that (fewer is better). There's also an alert performance section, but not really sure how that works, maybe it grades you on how promptly you view alerts you are sent, not sure to be honest.

I'm not sure how to see who has gotten redcards, but MySalesPayroll (again, main menu where you select MyPerformance or MyWork) lists sales for the day and # of redcards and prompts so far for the day. I believe this updates every 15 minutes.

I might have some of the menu names wrong, I am not at work so obviously don't have a PDA in front of me, but am going off memory.

As for closing registers, you don't even need to be logged in to do that at all, and can do it without having supervisor access. At any guest service register you can hit K2 to bring it up, and hit K1 to print it, all while not logged in.

As for alcohol for a minor, no, it brings up a supervisor prompt, assuming you have supervisor #'s (sounds like you do, as you mentioned closing registers and hitting K4 for GSTL menu) you just enter your #'s at the prompt and it allowed it to be purchased while the minor is logged in. What you described however is what I do if covering as a GSA due to me lacking supervisor #'s.

As for the SDTM, you term them. Okay, not really, I'd just "return to inventory" the defective items to void the defective stickers I guess and re-defect them when they make their way back up to guest service if you can't locate the items the stickers went to.

As for no cart attendant, that's typically you. At least at our store it would be, or whoever volunteers if you ask if someone can help out with that via the walkie.

We usually have a cart attendant, but if we don't such things are the responsibility of the GSA/GSTL either to do themselves, or to delegate to someone else to do, but either way it's their responsibility to ensure it gets done.

Also at our store the CRC and Salvage is brought back to receiving every night by the GSA/GSTL, in theory. I often do it, one of our cart attendants knows how to do so as well, but never a LOD.

Nothing difficult about it though, when closing CRC and Salvage you just put a sticker on the box you put them in, put the date and batch # on the sticker (batch # is on the printout that prints when you close the boxes). You then take them back to receiving, stack them on their respective pallets, go into "Outbound Tracking" on a PDA, select CRC/Salvage, scan a pallet, then select batch, and select the batch you just staged onto the pallet. Then hit done, select CRC/Salvage again and do it again (for CRC, or Salvage, whichever you didn't do the first time).

Last edited:
You do have to be logged in to close the registers. It is k5 close register. Otherwise the register isn't closed. Some stores put the funds in registers at night. Others don't. If you have to put the funds out at night it takes a lot longer to close. If you don't put them out at night then it will take you a long time to open in the morning.
At our store gstl gets numbers ready for lod before they check food ave. that's approx 2 hours before closing.
It takes gstl's about 1 and a half hours to close down our registers

You have to login to close them, I meant you can hit K2->K1 to do "See What's Closed" and Print Slip, to print the list that the GSA/GSTL gives the the LOD that shows how many start funds are needed.

I typically try to start closing registers about an hour and a half before store close. I can do it within an hour if I have to, but the extra half gives me a buffer if that night's LOD decides to take their sweet time about pulling out start funds. then again, I am lucky in that we always have a cart attendant, so there are really very few distractions around closing time for me.

I only just completed my second week as a newbie GSA though, so I get the tons of questions feeling... the only reason I'm so confident with closing now is that for the past week, every single shift I've had was a solo close. I'm kind of freaking out because Sunday I'll be doing my first solo open (and it's a clopen, which will only make it that much worse) and then two weeks from now I have 3 shifts on service desk, when I've had a grand total of 2 hours of SD training. you'd hate me as a SDTM ;P

I typically try to start closing registers about an hour and a half before store close. I can do it within an hour if I have to, but the extra half gives me a buffer if that night's LOD decides to take their sweet time about pulling out start funds. then again, I am lucky in that we always have a cart attendant, so there are really very few distractions around closing time for me.

I only just completed my second week as a newbie GSA though, so I get the tons of questions feeling... the only reason I'm so confident with closing now is that for the past week, every single shift I've had was a solo close. I'm kind of freaking out because Sunday I'll be doing my first solo open (and it's a clopen, which will only make it that much worse) and then two weeks from now I have 3 shifts on service desk, when I've had a grand total of 2 hours of SD training. you'd hate me as a SDTM ;P

SAME I feel like all I do is piss off the sdtms cause I leave returns all over the counters to figure out where it goes when I get time, which I never do lol. That and the fact that people are somehow pissed that on any given day I work I somehow get 50% of all our redcards...well that pisses everyone off except my gstls and LODs :D . Lol I found out tonite I will have a carty boy for 4 out of 6 shifts next week so that's awesome. But I also have to watch Starbucks all night cause the girl closing 5 of 6 nights has had 3 days of training....

Thanks for your help everyone! Any more advise is appreciated.

SAME I feel like all I do is piss off the sdtms cause I leave returns all over the counters to figure out where it goes when I get time, which I never do lol.

I really, strongly, feel this is making it more difficult for you, and making it take more time in the long run. I defect out items between each and every guest, it takes less than five seconds to grab the items I just returned, walk to the printer, grab the sticker, put it on the item, and then put it in the proper bin, whereas if I let it pile up it takes significantly longer to try and find which sticker goes to which item, especially if any of the stickers are repackages or online items, or as is tickets.

I've never once had a guest get annoyed over the brief wait, I just make sure to let them know that I will be with them momentarily, and typically I am ready to start their transaction before they even have the items out of their bag and have their credit/debit card or receipt ready so I'm actually taking up absolutely no extra time of theirs, just less time standing there doing nothing while they get ready.

You have to login to close them, I meant you can hit K2->K1 to do "See What's Closed" and Print Slip, to print the list that the GSA/GSTL gives the the LOD that shows how many start funds are needed.

Yes, but you can't do this until someone has done the K4 and K8 to close all unused registers.

I leave returns all over the counters to figure out where it goes when I get time
This is seriously so annoying especially because the register will SHOW YOU the cart number immediately after processing the return. It also tells you if a red or white sticker has printed for that item, and it also shows the description, the last couple of the DPCI and maybe the last couple of the UPC. It takes two seconds to turn around and throw it in the correct cart.

I leave returns all over the counters to figure out where it goes when I get time
This is seriously so annoying especially because the register will SHOW YOU the cart number immediately after processing the return. It also tells you if a red or white sticker has printed for that item, and it also shows the description, the last couple of the DPCI and maybe the last couple of the UPC. It takes two seconds to turn around and throw it in the correct cart.

This is part of the reason they went to "nothing on the counter...ever" because when it gets busy stuff will pile up for hours and look trashy. Seriously...take the two seconds to turn around and put it in the correct place, and maybe pile it off to the side if you need to sort through clearance stickers.

Or hell, do like my coworkers and ignore the clearance stickers... <_<

At my store, people just guess what cart things go in! Sports jerseys? SOFTLINES CART! One Spot? TOYS CART! OR MAYBE STATIONERY CART! Ugh.

At my store, people just guess what cart things go in! Sports jerseys? SOFTLINES CART! One Spot? TOYS CART! OR MAYBE STATIONERY CART! Ugh.

They do this at my store too. And not only do I find things from other departments in my re-shop carts, I also find defectives and missed salvage. All of this because they won't use Smart Sort.

One of my favorite things is when I found an item on the shelf with a LICENSE PLATE on it. Another time I found an item (on the shelf) with a piece of receipt tape taped to it, reading "needs DPCI".

One of my favorite things is when I found an item on the shelf with a LICENSE PLATE on it. Another time I found an item (on the shelf) with a piece of receipt tape taped to it, reading "needs DPCI".

When I was a cashier, I had a guest come through my lane with a salvaged beverage.

Re: needs DPCI - It's also frustrating when someone wrote down the DPCI but didn't bother to bring the item to the service desk for a ticket.

facepalm.gif

Yes, I see the stuff with the notes around the store on shelves about once a month. I mean, really?

When I was a cashier, I had a guest come through my lane with a salvaged beverage.

Re: needs DPCI - It's also frustrating when someone wrote down the DPCI but didn't bother to bring the item to the service desk for a ticket.

facepalm.gif

What slays me is stuff like: we had an item floating around for a good week, needing numbers. I stayed late one day and was putting away strays, so I went and got the numbers and brought it up to guest services. The next day, the stupid item is still at guest services, no numbers. No clue why the heck the person back there didn't print them out. So I put a note back on it. And again, it floated around for another week until I personally went back and got the numbers myself. Again. And personally brought the item back up front and personally printed out the tag, and stuck it to the item.

Do I really need to do every single part of the process myself?!

What slays me is stuff like: we had an item floating around for a good week, needing numbers. I stayed late one day and was putting away strays, so I went and got the numbers and brought it up to guest services. The next day, the stupid item is still at guest services, no numbers. No clue why the heck the person back there didn't print them out. So I put a note back on it. And again, it floated around for another week until I personally went back and got the numbers myself. Again. And personally brought the item back up front and personally printed out the tag, and stuck it to the item.

I have to do it all myself too because our service desk TMs won't. Though one particularly astute TM at my store suggested using the FF iPad to search for items for which you can't find a DPCI in the store because the target.com search is more helpful than Item Search on the PDA.

I have to do it all myself too because our service desk TMs won't. Though one particularly astute TM at my store suggested using the FF iPad to search for items for which you can't find a DPCI in the store because the target.com search is more helpful than Item Search on the PDA.

I do this a lot of the time to save us some frustration. But it depends on how generic or specific the product is, if I can get a close enough wording, and if I just plain have time knowing that some of my fellow TMs just put a note on it and move on.

Another way to find item numbers is having the dept & sub dept. For ex: using 051-01-0000, will bring up all Xmas lights on th ipad or pda. The key is having the tm giving you at least that amount of info.

Another way to find item numbers is having the dept & sub dept. For ex: using 051-01-0000, will bring up all Xmas lights on th ipad or pda. The key is having the tm giving you at least that amount of info.

Plus, if you're completely stumped, you can use the department and class numbers (the first 5 digits of the DPCI) to SIM the item.

I've seen this a handful of times. I really want to slap the shit out of half the idiots that work the service desk at my store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back