GSTL INTERVIEW

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm an external gstl candidate, coming from a clothing retailer with entry level management experience. But, I'm 18. I've had an phone interview with the etl-hr, etl-hr in training and etl-sales floor. Next week I have a face to face interview with the stl. Is this the last interview? And what should I wear? Should I bring a copy of my resume or is that too formal for target?

You might have to do one more interview (probably over the phone) with the district TL.

I think it varies by district but at mine, if you passed the ETL and STL interviews, your final interview was with the DTL. That seems like a logical progression so I imagine it will be similar for you.

Would you mind expanding on your "entry-level management experience"? Do be mindful that a GSTL position especially in higher volume stores can be very stressful. You must be fast-paced, able to keep your front metrics green and ready for whatever gets thrown at you. Best of luck and I hope you get it!

I was pretty much a customer service leader, driving our brand credit card/training of associates/customer engagement, held accountable for over 2.7 million dollars of the business.. I'm in college and actually transferring and the company I'm with doesn't have a position open in this market. The company is the largest specialty clothing retailer in the U.S with over 4 brands.. I'll let you figure it out (1969)

Last edited:
I was actually kind of poached by one of my associates who just graduated and is coming to target as a etl-ge

Perfect. Then you know exactly what you are getting yourself into with having to push redcards like nothing else matters. If you are green with those, you can do no wrong. If your team is struggling, and does so for too long, you know your ass is on the line. If you are used to that elsewhere, this will be fine.

Yeah, so hopefully it'll be fine! I usually schedule based on the R3, concept. I actually shopped my location and the cashier didn't ask me or the two ladies in front of me! I'm up for the challenge though

Yeah, so hopefully it'll be fine! I usually schedule based on the R3, concept. I actually shopped my location and the cashier didn't ask me or the two ladies in front of me! I'm up for the challenge though

I have no idea what the R3 concept is, but you won't have much control over your cashiers schedules. Likely HR already does it, and for the most part they are expected to schedule to the amount of cashiers the computer says they should have for any one time. A good ETL will look over the schedule and adjust if it's impossibly low (not to be confused with the insanely low that it will always be). But the only real input you'll have with the cashiers will likely be approving time off requests.

I was pretty much a customer service leader, driving our brand credit card/training of associates/customer engagement, held accountable for over 2.7 million dollars of the business.. I'm in college and actually transferring and the company I'm with doesn't have a position open in this market. The company is the largest specialty clothing retailer in the U.S with over 4 brands.. I'll let you figure it out (1969)
Is it the limited or the gap?

I have no idea what the R3 concept is, but you won't have much control over your cashiers schedules. Likely HR already does it, and for the most part they are expected to schedule to the amount of cashiers the computer says they should have for any one time. A good ETL will look over the schedule and adjust if it's impossibly low (not to be confused with the insanely low that it will always be). But the only real input you'll have with the cashiers will likely be approving time off requests.
R3 = right people, right place, right time... Essentially meaning having cashiers who are willing to ask every customer and use the 3 no rule. But like you said I don't how the store is ran. I don't want to go in and change things up but this store is struggling to meet their RC goals.

R3 = right people, right place, right time... Essentially meaning having cashiers who are willing to ask every customer and use the 3 no rule. But like you said I don't how the store is ran. I don't want to go in and change things up but this store is struggling to meet their RC goals.

Yeah, Target's philosophy is not to reward or punish people for performance with hours. Hours...especially cashiers...are based pretty much on availability alone. The theory is you use the time you have with them to get them up to speed. Not scheduling them doesn't fix the actual issue.

Now, if you need to extend or call people in, that you can do to your preference (provided they don't go over 40 hours).

Oh ok, but I honestly believe their main problem is not asking. Maybe because they get so many "no's", they just say forget it. But it would be hard to convince me to apply just to save 5%... But we will see!

Thanks! :)

Likely, that is the reason. But here's the thing...they've probably been there so long that if they aren't asking now, they aren't going to. And you can coach until you're blue in the face, but if they won't ask, they won't ask.

And it's possible that the person you went through was just on back up from the sales floor. And they will ask even less than the cashiers...and there's not a whole lot you can do about that.

Also, keep in mind, if this is a high volume store, there may already be one GSTL. So you will need to work with them and won't be able to come charging in and stomp on their toes. Even if there isn't another GSTL, coming in and immediately coaching everyone for not asking will not win you any friends....nor will it get you more REDcards...because then they'll ask...but without their buy in, their asking will be just enough to get by and noting more.

I believe they already have a Sr. GSTL, I wonder why I didn't interview with him/her... Maybe they'll be there with the STL.

Yeah, that could be it. I feel like I'm used to a strictly soft line retail store where we had to influence customers to purchase items.

I would never just come in and coach them, especially before I get through my 90 days.

Are you a GSTL?
Likely, that is the reason. But here's the thing...they've probably been there so long that if they aren't asking now, they aren't going to. And you can coach until you're blue in the face, but if they won't ask, they won't ask.

And it's possible that the person you went through was just on back up from the sales floor. And they will ask even less than the cashiers...and there's not a whole lot you can do about that.

Also, keep in mind, if this is a high volume store, there may already be one GSTL. So you will need to work with them and won't be able to come charging in and stomp on their toes. Even if there isn't another GSTL, coming in and immediately coaching everyone for not asking will not win you any friends....nor will it get you more REDcards...because then they'll ask...but without their buy in, their asking will be just enough to get by and noting more.

Even if I wanted TL, I would never take GSTL. The Redcard craziness is something I couldn't handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back