Archived Gstl Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently got promoted a month ago, and I was wondering what can I do to stand out to my STL and ETL GE? How is your GSTL at your store?

I recently got promoted a month ago, and I was wondering what can I do to stand out to my STL and ETL GE? How is your GSTL at your store?
My GSTL is really all over the place. Make sure you're doing obvious things like watching lights, redirecting lanes, backing up guest services, etc. Be friendly to all ETL's, TM's, etc. I'm a Hardlines TM and my GSTL is super friendly and always thanks me for grabbing stray and helping with backups, etc. Make sure you stay on top of breaks, and dont just sit back behind the lanes, actively move around in front of the lanes redirecting, helping guests near the front of the stores, etc. Another thing is offer up cashiers for helping with freight/stray whenever it's slow up front.

I make sure to stay visible at the front end at all times. Speed weave. Call for guest first and follow the 1+1 guest standard (especially for guest service). Do the "dirty work" and don't just observe. Always appreciate your team members, (especially the cart attendant), for their duties and achievements. Push red cards and meet quotas. Make others not fear you but respect you and always ensure all new cashiers receive the training they need. Communicate to your ETL-GE and STL on a a regular basis and ensure your team respects you for the leader you are. Being a GSTL is the easiest job I have ever encountered and I absolutely adore it.

Focus on making sure your team encourages surveys and getting people to write good ones. With the new system your etl ge or stl will have to call certain folks who give a bad review. Quick way to end up on their s-- list

Last edited:
Just be genuine with red-cards, encouraging & thanking TMs when they get one or trying to get them to get one.

Set expectations for your team, and treat GSAs as your peers, since they do spend a lot of time doing close to your job! Make sure the rest of the front end team is communicated too! This will help enforce policies set by both corporate and store management

Hey GSTLs! So today my ETL/GE told us from now on we will honor gift card deals for guests that pay with WIC. Our registers do not prompt for the gift cards. Also, we are supposed to let them use coupons. Wouldn't they have to pay the tax on the coupons? This seems crazy to me!

I make sure to stay visible at the front end at all times. Speed weave. Call for guest first and follow the 1+1 guest standard (especially for guest service). Do the "dirty work" and don't just observe. Always appreciate your team members, (especially the cart attendant), for their duties and achievements. Push red cards and meet quotas. Make others not fear you but respect you and always ensure all new cashiers receive the training they need. Communicate to your ETL-GE and STL on a a regular basis and ensure your team respects you for the leader you are. Being a GSTL is the easiest job I have ever encountered and I absolutely adore it.

Wish I was at your store. The opposite is true at our store because the guest traffic is insane. If the mid GSA calls out, no other TL or ETL wants to cover the GSTL for a meal. They're all scared. In a low traffic store it'll be so easy.

Anticipate problems, develop, and make it the point of not having to call the LOD.

1) Develop your cashiers to participate in the front end process (end boards, Plano, etc.)
2) Constantly set realistic expectations with your team
3) Communicate with the other TLs and ETLs (you should be sending emails often)
4) Push surveys
5) Recognize outstanding performers (we do so by giving custom plaques/awards)
6) Ensure you're doing one minute huddles
7) Ask your GE what is your captainships and excel at it.
8) Partner with your GSAs/GSTLs to implement any ideas you come up with.

My three secrets that got me the most respect (remember we're one of the highest traffic stores in the company so this might not be necessary for you):

9) Create a Plano team. Teach them how to shoot and pull batches/POGs. It's unconventional but when your review comes up they'll acknowledge that you're giving your team the tools to become leaders themselves. I.e Development.

10) Every first week of the month do a refresh. Retrain/reiterate expectations, ways to be more efficient, security concerns, shortage prevention, WiC, brand, engagement, etc.

11) Create brand week. I created a weekly task list so we know what is being done. For example, on Mondays audit the registers, on Tuesdays check if there are sales planners, Wednesdays begin working on sales planners, Thursdays audit supplies, Friday speak to the cashiers that are having a hard time in any area. Something along those lines. My actual brand week is more task based but that should give you an idea.

***Always email communication whenever you complete or do anything. Send it to all ETLs/TLs/STL.***

Hope this helps.

Hey GSTLs! So today my ETL/GE told us from now on we will honor gift card deals for guests that pay with WIC. Our registers do not prompt for the gift cards. Also, we are supposed to let them use coupons. Wouldn't they have to pay the tax on the coupons? This seems crazy to me!

That's not making any sense at all to me. Do you know why he's implementing that or who told him/her to?

She claims she asked about it at her last WIC meeting. I think it's about the craziest thing I've ever heard of.

Yeah that's not making sense at all. I haven't heard anything about that yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back