Archived Guest driveup

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope this isn’t a repeat question. I am new and still reading posts. I am curious, how the guest curbside pickup is going to go when the holidays approach. I know we have a while to go, but I heard Guest services will be taking the orders to their cars. With limited hours now, I am hoping we have adequate staffing to do this. Any info as to how many people will be assigned or just anyone available?

Taking orders to the car, isn’t that just Drive up or did I miss something? Which my store has Drive up for a long time now which our guest service team handles. If you’re not talking about the same thing then I apologize for the confusion on my part.

I am sorry for the confusion. I meant drive up. We are starting this soon. Curious, whether there will be people assigned or just anyone in GS that is available?

That's going to vary a lot by store and how well the service takes off at each store. Don't think that just because you got Drive Up one day that the very next day it's going to be an extreme shitshow with guests continuously arriving. It takes awhile to build a core group of repeat users for the service to take off. There are more drive ups on a daily basis now than there were in Q4 last year at my store. Proceedures that were put in place to handle the carry outs originally are long since forgotten. Even proceedures that were put into place just a couple of months ago to handle increased volume are under serious strain as volume keeps increasing and we're having to adjust again.

What that means for BTC and Q4 if DU volume keeps increasing I have no idea other than there should be more bodies and payroll to throw at it then.

Our Guest Service and Opu/Drive Up are two separate sections in the store. A designated OPU team member is always scheduled, as is a FA/flex fulfillment. Usually the FA runs out the Drive Ups, if unavailable then OPU person just begs on walkie for anyone to.
Yes, the holidays will suck! That's why we make the big bucks now though, don't it? 😏 Hopefully a designated Drive Up person will be scheduled.

That's going to vary a lot by store and how well the service takes off at each store. Don't think that just because you got Drive Up one day that the very next day it's going to be an extreme shitshow with guests continuously arriving. It takes awhile to build a core group of repeat users for the service to take off. There are more drive ups on a daily basis now than there were in Q4 last year at my store. Proceedures that were put in place to handle the carry outs originally are long since forgotten. Even proceedures that were put into place just a couple of months ago to handle increased volume are under serious strain as volume keeps increasing and we're having to adjust again.

What that means for BTC and Q4 if DU volume keeps increasing I have no idea other than there should be more bodies and payroll to throw at it then.
Thanks Seasonaldude for the input. I agree. We do need more bodies and payroll. It seems like higher expectations with less payroll recently.

Our Guest Service and Opu/Drive Up are two separate sections in the store. A designated OPU team member is always scheduled, as is a FA/flex fulfillment. Usually the FA runs out the Drive Ups, if unavailable then OPU person just begs on walkie for anyone to.
Yes, the holidays will suck! That's why we make the big bucks now though, don't it? 😏 Hopefully a designated Drive Up person will be scheduled.
Thanks for the explanation. This makes sense. Hopefully, we can have a system in place and people assigned before 4th quarter. Even with that though, it still will be crazy. I am happy for the pay increase, but it will be more expectations for higher wage.

At my store One of our FF team members picks the orders for OPU/Drive up and locate them in their designated areas.

Guest service Advocates brings the drive up orders to the guest and takes care of bringing the OPU to the guests. They primarily handle it if there isn’t any guest in front of them for returns. If they are preoccupied or know they will be they let the SETL know they will need assistance for the OPU/DU and the SETL will either support with getting the order or the DBO for bullseye assists as needed for the orders.

Our bullseye is right by the entrance/exit doors which is directly in front of guest service. Our drive ups staging area are behind our guest service counters and our FA room in the office behind guest service.

We’ve been making this work for over a year though it gets tricky on extremely busy days but I usually support the front end as well being a team player if I’m close by. I always pay attention to the alerts.

In a perfect world where payroll isn’t an issue I would wish we could get one designated person for it but you know....work with what you got.

At my store One of our FF team members picks the orders for OPU/Drive up and locate them in their designated areas.

Guest service Advocates brings the drive up orders to the guest and takes care of bringing the OPU to the guests. They primarily handle it if there isn’t any guest in front of them for returns. If they are preoccupied or know they will be they let the SETL know they will need assistance for the OPU/DU and the SETL will either support with getting the order or the DBO for bullseye assists as needed for the orders.

Our bullseye is right by the entrance/exit doors which is directly in front of guest service. Our drive ups staging area are behind our guest service counters and our FA room in the office behind guest service.

We’ve been making this work for over a year though it gets tricky on extremely busy days but I usually support the front end as well being a team player if I’m close by. I always pay attention to the alerts.

In a perfect world where payroll isn’t an issue I would wish we could get one designated person for it but you know....work with what you got.
Thanks Major Chomp! It sounds like you have a good system in place. That’s great, you give your team members the extra support when needed. I definitely agree, with working with what you got.

This is it exactly. When your Drive Up roles out your store will get enough payroll to staff it for a while, I believe we had 3 months of payroll for this. When it started we had maybe 3 orders a week with one or two being from TMs 😂

Now that we’re well over a year in we have anywhere from 8-40 orders a day which isn’t actually that much. We do get payroll to support DU but it’s not enough to staff it everyday. So we dissolve the hours and use them to bulk up cart attendant, I’m sorry I mean front of store attendant hours, as well as bulking up SFS hours since they’re the ones picking the orders.

Best thing you can do is get your Team trained while you have the extra payroll and talk it up!! I cannot stress this enough. The more orders you fulfill = more payroll to fulfill. Talk everyone you can into using it from the get go. Show corporate your store can handle this!

I'm dreading drive up. The stupid signs are in the parking lot. It's happening soon. I've been told guest services is handling it. We handle the OPUs. I have that sick feeling like a court date is coming up or something. I have a feeling it will take off quickly.

They will staff with people who don’t know what they are doing and haven’t submitted to background checks...pretty much like every year
Ideally the TMs who have been around for a while and know what they’re doing will do the OPU/DU during the holidays. Let the warm bodies hop on a lane and just scan/drag/bag for all of our lovely guests.

I hope this isn’t a repeat question. I am new and still reading posts. I am curious, how the guest curbside pickup is going to go when the holidays approach. I know we have a while to go, but I heard Guest services will be taking the orders to their cars. With limited hours now, I am hoping we have adequate staffing to do this. Any info as to how many people will be assigned or just anyone available?
Throughout the year, your store like many others are banking hours or will receive alloted holiday payroll to hire extra seasonal count. DriveUp is new so expect numbers to be slow at first. But after Labor Day, there will probably be an up tick. Come Thanksgiving/Christmas, imagine every dept with 5-10x more traffic and business.

Our Guest Service and SCO handle all of our drive-ups. We work it out most of the time, but it does get trying at times. The worst part is dealing with the weather. Last winter we had days at 50 below zero and we still had to take those orders out to their cars. The Walmart up the road closed their drive up service on those days, but not Target...

We already do that. It works JUST FINE. If the old women at the service desk stopped standing around and discussing their lives itd be even more efficient. But as of now that's the best layout

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back