Guest say the darndest (dumbest) things

You as an ETL close out the registers? My store it's GSTL or GSA trained TMs. (We only have 1 actual GSA and a few TMs with GSA training to open or close).

We have 4 SCO. Whomever is closing them is a sitting duck, so we typically close them after the store is closed. They and one SD register are what we have open at close.

We have 4 SCO. Whomever is closing them is a sitting duck, so we typically close them after the store is closed. They and one SD register are what we have open at close.
Whoever is doing SCO should hop on a lane if SCO is closed not be a sitting duck

I meant that in the way that a sitting duck is easy prey. When closing SCO, the register door is open, with the GSA in a pretty vulnerable position, and right by a door. I prefer to have the doors locked when she closes them.
At my store we have like those retractable line barriers when SCO closes. Not that that’s gonna stop anyone, but sounds like if that’s a concern your store is higher AP risk and needs diff policies.

My store is high in fraud, but luckily low in physical stuff.

but why are the self checkouts closed? 1 cashier and 1 SCO is better than 2 cashiers, and then you can still call for at least 1 more backup (depending on where you are at with banking the lanes)
They were closed because out of all 12 only like 3 were working so it wasn’t even worth it to have a cashier over there

We always have the GSTL or GSA close self checkout while AP stands next to them. We are very high risk

You as an ETL close out the registers? My store it's GSTL or GSA trained TMs. (We only have 1 actual GSA and a few TMs with GSA training to open or close).

Not usually but if I'm closing and I see the lines backed up, I'll send my GSTL to hop on a lane and I'll close the registers. That late at night my patience is running thin and I can't really fake the bubbly TM anymore. So I'd rather close the registers. It's more fitting to help out my own department than trying to rush around the store picking up strays/zoning/reshopping because the salesfloor ETLs decided to stack the grid on their nights and then left me with a skeleton crew.

I know this has been posted so many times before. But.
*doing a card lookup at guest service*
Me: “insert your card in the card reader”
Guest: *hands it to me*
Me: “insert it in the card reader”
Guest: “oh” *slides it*
*card reader makes error noise*
Me: “insert it please”
Guest: “chip?”
Me: “yes. Insert it”
Guest: *inserts. Card reader dings and says to remove*
Guest: *stares at me*
Me: “take it out”
Guest: “take it out?”
Me: “yes”
Guest: “did it come up? Does that mean no?”
Me: “if you take your card out I can scan it and see.” 🙃🙃🙃🙃🙃
Literally this exact exchange happens 5 times a day at least

I know this has been posted so many times before. But.
*doing a card lookup at guest service*
Me: “insert your card in the card reader”
Guest: *hands it to me*
Me: “insert it in the card reader”
Guest: “oh” *slides it*
*card reader makes error noise*
Me: “insert it please”
Guest: “chip?”
Me: “yes. Insert it”
Guest: *inserts. Card reader dings and says to remove*
Guest: *stares at me*
Me: “take it out”
Guest: “take it out?”
Me: “yes”
Guest: “did it come up? Does that mean no?”
Me: “if you take your card out I can scan it and see.” 🙃🙃🙃🙃🙃
Literally this exact exchange happens 5 times a day at least
Or they just hand me the item w/ no receipt or card and say “can’t you just look up my purchase with the item?” Like yeah Tracy I can definitely see here by scanning this one package of command hooks that you were the one who bought them

All this stuff about returns is an equally bad headache when guests call asking about return policies. There are so many people that have a million little details about why something didn't work out for them and they don't have the receipt and when asked how they paid it might be their card or it might be the husband's and the husband away on business and their chip no longer works, blah blah. And when told store credit it isn't fair because they did use a debit card and they have their bank statement and why can't we use that and why can't I tell them over the phone what they will be getting back to see if it's worth their time. And at that point most guests give up and hang up but some guests demand a manager. Sorry GS for those, I tried.

Or they just hand me the item w/ no receipt or card and say “can’t you just look up my purchase with the item?” Like yeah Tracy I can definitely see here by scanning this one package of command hooks that you were the one who bought them
I know it’s on my card! Just look up all my purchases and you’ll find it on there!!

Back