Guest say the darndest (dumbest) things

This was a while ago at SCO
Guest: "Can I get a gift receipt for this gift card?"
Me: "No ma'am, we do not do gift receipts for gift cards. The receipt should say how much is on the card."
Guest: "But it's a gift, why would I want them to know how much I spent?"
... a gift card
I’m fucking triggered by this
One time a guest managed to crash 3 self checkouts by hitting gift receipt for a gift card.

This was a while ago at SCO
Guest: "Can I get a gift receipt for this gift card?"
Me: "No ma'am, we do not do gift receipts for gift cards. The receipt should say how much is on the card."
Guest: "But it's a gift, why would I want them to know how much I spent?"
... a gift card
We can’t do gift receipts for them, but you can scan them and print out the balance on a slip it they want that.

I feel like daily people come up to guest service, and they’re like “I bought meat and it expired the next day.” and I’m like “ohh ok that sucks” and they’re like “can I return it?” and I’m like “did you bring it with you?” and they’re like “no I threw it away.” Ummm no you can’t return something that you’re not giving back. Plus how do I know it was really expired and you didn’t just eat it all and then you’re like “I’m gonna tell them it was expired and I want my money back” lol

I feel like daily people come up to guest service, and they’re like “I bought meat and it expired the next day.” and I’m like “ohh ok that sucks” and they’re like “can I return it?” and I’m like “did you bring it with you?” and they’re like “no I threw it away.” Ummm no you can’t return something that you’re not giving back. Plus how do I know it was really expired and you didn’t just eat it all and then you’re like “I’m gonna tell them it was expired and I want my money back” lol

Well, all that and if it wasn't expired when they actually bought it, not our problem that they didn't eat or freeze it.

People at my store try this ALL THE TIME with produce. Our rule is you gotta have at least half.

Guest on the phone after I told her that we don't hold in store (have to do that online): "Well, can I pay for it over the phone and then pick it up in the store?"

Srsly? I told her that wasn't safe for her. Geez....

Guest on the phone after I told her that we don't hold in store (have to do that online): "Well, can I pay for it over the phone and then pick it up in the store?"

Srsly? I told her that wasn't safe for her. Geez....

We'll hold in store if it is something of sufficient value. Tv's, vacuums, and the like. We can hold that for a couple of hours. That funko the caller wants....nope.

It was a Halloween costume. If we started holding those up at GS they'd kill us... especially the day of Halloween.

That makes sense. I'd kill the operator who put a question about a Halloween costume through to me in the first place to be honest. That section is just such a well picked over mess that finding one specific costume is a matter of pure luck.

That makes sense. I'd kill the operator who put a question about a Halloween costume through to me in the first place to be honest. That section is just such a well picked over mess that finding one specific costume is a matter of pure luck.

You have no idea what it's like to deal with some of these people on the phone. Short of hanging up on them they won't take "no" for an answer. If I was allowed to hang up, I promise I would in a heartbeat. I was overheard today and was told I did a good job of being polite even though I was clearly irritated. And trust me, I made sure to personally thank that Hardlines TM for helping me get through it.

You have no idea what it's like to deal with some of these people on the phone. Short of hanging up on them they won't take "no" for an answer. If I was allowed to hang up, I promise I would in a heartbeat. I was overheard today and was told I did a good job of being polite even though I was clearly irritated. And trust me, I made sure to personally thank that Hardlines TM for helping me get through it.

You're good. You are screening the calls and dealing with the guests. I don't mind that. We have some operators who don't screen the calls and just walkie that someone in the department has a call they need to pick up. So, the people on the floor end up dealing with the ridiculous callers themselves. I know how frustrating they are to deal with.

You're good. You are screening the calls and dealing with the guests. I don't mind that. We have some operators who don't screen the calls and just walkie that someone in the department has a call they need to pick up. So, the people on the floor end up dealing with the ridiculous callers themselves. I know how frustrating they are to deal with.
There's a lot of times where it's best for everyone if the sales floor deals directly with the caller. Does it really make sense for one person to go back and forth between another person and someone on the phone - "Did they want X or Y?" "Hold on./Ma'am do you want X or Y?" "They said Y but they also want to know [details]." "Okay, we have [details]." "Hold on/We have [details]." "They want to compare to any other like objects on the shelf, prices and features." At what point is that working out any better than someone standing in front of the shelf answering all those questions without it being relayed through a third party?

There's a lot of times where it's best for everyone if the sales floor deals directly with the caller. Does it really make sense for one person to go back and forth between another person and someone on the phone - "Did they want X or Y?" "Hold on./Ma'am do you want X or Y?" "They said Y but they also want to know [details]." "Okay, we have [details]." "Hold on/We have [details]." "They want to compare to any other like objects on the shelf, prices and features." At what point is that working out any better than someone standing in front of the shelf answering all those questions without it being relayed through a third party?

I get that. On the other hand, Iwas asked to take a call that was nothing more than "Do you guys sell bicycles?" the other day. Ummm, yes we do. Don't need the operator calling me on the walkie to tell me that a guest has a question about bikes for that. I stop what I'm doing and start walking over to bikes only to answer that question. Waste of my time.

I get that. On the other hand, Iwas asked to take a call that was nothing more than "Do you guys sell bicycles?" the other day. Ummm, yes we do. Don't need the operator calling me on the walkie to tell me that a guest has a question about bikes for that. I stop what I'm doing and start walking over to bikes only to answer that question. Waste of my time.
Lol the FRO at my store transfers the dumbest questions over to the service desk sometimes. 😂 “What time is the store open until?” “Do you know if they have Target in Colorado?” “Are you hiring?”

New IVR (phone tree) coming soon that will get rid of option 0 and when you hit the button for say electronics it will ring straight there. If you need operator there’s an unannounced option 9 that takes you there

Underline mine. That's a huge difference from "Do you have bicycles?" That underline portion is "Target.com says you have this bike in stock but your operator sent me to you for physical confirmation. Can you hold it for me? Plus are there holes in the frame for accessories?" So I'm missing something, are you not wanting all calls, including those that need your department? Or are you only not wanting calls that don't need your department?

New IVR (phone tree) coming soon that will get rid of option 0 and when you hit the button for say electronics it will ring straight there. If you need operator there’s an unannounced option 9 that takes you there
Too bad the prompts don't work. Kinda hard to press X for X department when the phone just hangs up on every option except operator. I have serious doubts that reorganizing the phone tree will fix the problem.

I encounter the most interesting guests! This guest was asking this lady why target shopping carts do not have cup holders? Funny thing is she has the seat opened up where a child sits and put her pop corn in the seat and then thats when she asked why there is no cup holders in a cart! I am wandering why on earth would a cart need a cup holder I mean cool idea to have it just thought it was funny.

My husband is an overnight stocker for a regional grocery chain. Their carts are wire frame and have cupholders and a small horizontal "table" which is good for coupons or a phone welded into the handle area.

Back