Guest say the darndest (dumbest) things

I encounter the most interesting guests! This guest was asking this lady why target shopping carts do not have cup holders? Funny thing is she has the seat opened up where a child sits and put her pop corn in the seat and then thats when she asked why there is no cup holders in a cart! I am wandering why on earth would a cart need a cup holder I mean cool idea to have it just thought it was funny.
A lot of grocery stores have cup holders molded into the metal.

And we do, they are removable instead of permanently fastened. Our store, they are at the little napkin counter at FA.

I encounter the most interesting guests! This guest was asking this lady why target shopping carts do not have cup holders? Funny thing is she has the seat opened up where a child sits and put her pop corn in the seat and then thats when she asked why there is no cup holders in a cart! I am wandering why on earth would a cart need a cup holder I mean cool idea to have it just thought it was funny.
Lucky’s has the cup holders fashioned into their cart handle area. But they also allow you to drink beer as you shop for your groceries. 😁

My husband is an overnight stocker for a regional grocery chain. Their carts are wire frame and have cupholders and a small horizontal "table" which is good for coupons or a phone welded into the handle area.

That is what Meijer has. And on their smaller 2 tier carts too. I like it

I get this often...

Guest: Do you have *item*? Is it over here? *walks away*
Me: *shrugs and walks in the opposite direction*

5 minutes later on the walkie: "Was someone helping a guest find *item*?"
Me: "I was but she walked away, I thought she found it."

You're good. You are screening the calls and dealing with the guests. I don't mind that. We have some operators who don't screen the calls and just walkie that someone in the department has a call they need to pick up. So, the people on the floor end up dealing with the ridiculous callers themselves. I know how frustrating they are to deal with.

I'd be happy if the operator at my store would be more specific when she's paging a phone call. All day yesterday I heard "Hardlines you have a call on 80" Um, what part of Hardlines? Party, school, home, kitchen, bath, bedding..... I have no idea how to greet the guest on the phone so they know they have the right person to answer their question.

I'd be happy if the operator at my store would be more specific when she's paging a phone call. All day yesterday I heard "Hardlines you have a call on 80" Um, what part of Hardlines? Party, school, home, kitchen, bath, bedding..... I have no idea how to greet the guest on the phone so they know they have the right person to answer their question.
When hardlines actually acknowledges a call in my store, if they didn't hear the area they just ask flat out "What section?" Try that.

That is what Meijer has. And on their smaller 2 tier carts too. I like it
That's who he works for. And I LOVE those 2-tiers.

Edit to add: Marianos (owned by Kroger) also has 2-tier carts. Can't recall off hand if they also have a cup holder.

Last edited:
We have a chain here that's owned by Kroger. Depending on the individual location, I've seen wine bars, sushi stations, barbecue pits, grilling in the meat department, a cheese room, taqueria, wood-fired pizzas, and full service deli. And every one I've been to has the typical "hot bar", salad bar, an olive bar, a make-your-own-trail-mix station, smoothies and gelato stands.

I fucking hate the guests in my store. They’re all Russians and Hasidic Jews and act sooooo entitled. Also they barely speak English and have the audacity to ask for help when you can’t understand a damn thing. I really want to transfer to another store with a different guest demographic
Might want to check that attitude, you sound bigoted. Entitlement syndrome cuts across all demographics. And there's phone apps called Google Translate and Microsoft Translate, simple to use and accurate enough to get the point across.

I fucking hate the guests in my store. They’re all Russians and Hasidic Jews and act sooooo entitled. Also they barely speak English and have the audacity to ask for help when you can’t understand a damn thing. I really want to transfer to another store with a different guest demographic
“I’m not a racist/antisemetic but...”

Might want to check that attitude, you sound bigoted. Entitlement syndrome cuts across all demographics. And there's phone apps called Google Translate and Microsoft Translate, simple to use and accurate enough to get the point across.
Yeah I’m a bigot but at least I’m no SJW

Yeah I’m a bigot but at least I’m no SJW
Your point? You apparently hate people based on superficial physical traits. Because of this hate, your vision is skewed, where you refuse to see the faults of people whose traits are that which you like and you refuse to see the virtues in the people whose traits you hate. Therefore instead of seeing that all people do the same thing, you reinforce your own hatred by looking for the worst in some and the best in others and ignore what doesn't support that.

Your point? You apparently hate people based on superficial physical traits. Because of this hate, your vision is skewed, where you refuse to see the faults of people whose traits are that which you like and you refuse to see the virtues in the people whose traits you hate. Therefore instead of seeing that all people do the same thing, you reinforce your own hatred by looking for the worst in some and the best in others and ignore what doesn't support that.
You are so right. Thank you for opening my eyes to that.

A lot of grocery stores have cup holders molded into the metal.

And we do, they are removable instead of permanently fastened. Our store, they are at the little napkin counter at FA.
We actually got new reshop carts that have cup holders. They’re about 25% the size of the plastic carts though, but I guess the reason we got them is so that we’d stay on top of reshop faster.

This was a while ago at SCO
Guest: "Can I get a gift receipt for this gift card?"
Me: "No ma'am, we do not do gift receipts for gift cards. The receipt should say how much is on the card."
Guest: "But it's a gift, why would I want them to know how much I spent?"
... a gift card
Eh. If they come to the SD, I’ll just scan the receipt and print one. If the recipient wants to return it, they can have a merch card all they want. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I took these last week-
View attachment 6602

View attachment 6603

To my understanding, it's not a company wide thing, but someone from my leadership team saw them in Nordstrom Rack and wanted to get them lol

From a guest perspective I would love to have these in all Targets, for shopping. From a reshop perspective, this would better than the regular carts or the 3 tiers...easier to maneuver especially during peak times.

From a guest perspective I would love to have these in all Targets, for shopping. From a reshop perspective, this would better than the regular carts or the 3 tiers...easier to maneuver especially during peak times.
The reshop piles up quickly, so I could get stressful making a dozen trips for reshop in a shift. But lately we’ve had team members with dedicated reshop shifts, so that helps a lot.

Three tiers hold more stuff, hanging, folded and packages. When you consider walking time these little carts would be more wasteful of time. Putting out the same amount of reshop but taking more loads to put that same amount out will eat up too much time simply from needing to walk away from the area to load back up and walking back far more often.

But using a smaller cart to put the same amount out will be great for your pedometer and your bathroom scale.

Three tiers hold more stuff, hanging, folded and packages. When you consider walking time these little carts would be more wasteful of time. Putting out the same amount of reshop but taking more loads to put that same amount out will eat up too much time simply from needing to walk away from the area to load back up and walking back far more often.

But using a smaller cart to put the same amount out will be great for your pedometer and your bathroom scale.
I guess it depends on how your store handles reshops. My team would wait until they could fill the 3-tiers to the brim before tackling reshops. At that point it would take forever. With the smaller carts, I could see them working on reshops sooner and more often, making it a less daunting task.

I guess it depends on how your store handles reshops. My team would wait until they could fill the 3-tiers to the brim before tackling reshops. At that point it would take forever. With the smaller carts, I could see them working on reshops sooner and more often, making it a less daunting task.
Sorting would probably be roughly the same. It seems longer, but that's because it's done at one time instead of broken up over several times. It's the back and forth between the location of the items you are putting back and the location of where reshop is held while waiting to be sorted that adds time. Walking back to where it's held 6 times with a small cart will take up far more time than walking back only twice.

Back