Archived Guest service questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I’m training on guest services and I️ have a few questions
1. When returning electronics, do you place the more expensive items into Crc even if there not damaged? I know we can’t put it into the reshop.
2. I’m closing guest services soon and I’m nervous about the closing procedures. When closing all the carts I️ know you put the items into boxes, and crc you have to mark off there all there, but with toss and crc and salvage, who do I️ call to get them cart attendants?, GSTL?
3. When doing a price adjustment, how do you go about that in the system wrong price? if so do the guest need the item to do the price adjustment? And how long can we do price adjustments is it 14 days for everything? Thanks in advance!

1. No, CRC is only for damages, and a CRC ticket will print indicating that it is in fact CRC. Not sure why you couldn’t put it in reshop, I guess in that case you would walkie electronics and ask them to pick up that item. Ask another seasoned GSTM what you should do, but that’s my best guess.
2. I have never closed in guest service so I have no clue sorry :( someone else here should know, though. @Amanda Cantwell ?
3. Scan receipt, K6 fix a mistake, K6 again (?) wrong price. Scan the item. If they don’t have it with them, type in the DPCI from the receipt. If they don’t have the receipt they can’t do it. Put in the correct price and refund them the difference. Yes 14 days max although my store is 7

1. We put it in the electronics reshop cart and walkie them periodically to collect and wrap their reshop rather than sending out cashiers or hardlines TMs with it. Only items that get sorted to CRC during the return go in the CRC box. And it's not just electronics damages that go CRC, it's also anything that could potentially contain a guest's personal information, such as phones or tablets.

2. This may be an ASANTS question, so confirm with your own GSTL. But at my store, we sort all of the reshop that hardlines brings up while zoning and get it ready to be sent back out to the floor. We pack up salvage and CRC boxes, including printing out the lists, and prep them to go back to the back room along with ST/FL items, waste corrugated and tied-off trashbags (including the Toss returns) from the service desk. Generally, a cart attendant is called to actually take the cart full back, but sometimes I have to do it myself.

3. Leo's answer is correct. But I'll add a few extra notes:

The guest must have the paper receipt, we cannot look up on a credit card for this. Price adjustment is up to 14 days in the system. If it's for a Cartwheel offer, the offer has to have been valid on date of purchase as well as date of adjustment. Since it's often difficult to know when a Cartwheel became effective, my store doesn't allow TMs to make this adjustment, I have to call a GSTL if a guest requests it.

Coupons can be added for up to 3 days.

Wrong payment adjustments (i.e., pay with Red Card instead of the other Visa they used at checkout) MUST be done same day - once the store closes, everything is transmitted to the banks. After that point, the only way to process is to return everything and re-sell it. I don't even mention this as an option to guests, and when they ask if they can return and repurchase, I tell them that they have to bring in the item(s) and select new stock from the sales floor as I have to process the return through our inventory system (language shamelessly borrowed from a GSA). I've only told guests that we have the ability to make a same-day change to the payment source if they tell me they have a Red Card but forgot it at home.

Items aren't in CRC because they have personal info...they are in CRC because they contain materials that need to be handled separately, like metals. That's why formula w iron is a CRC item as are certain jewelry items

In my store, for closing, after CRC is audited and both it and the salvage boxes are closed up, the cart attendant takes them plus toss and ESIM to back room.

I close GS every shift so if you have questions, fire away.

Last edited:
Definitely ASANTS on number two because at my store, the closing GSTM pushes the salvage/ESIM/CRC back. I know I work in a low volume store so it may be different for the larger ones!

Items aren't in CRC because they have personal info...they are in CRC because they contain materials that need to be handled separately, like metals. That's why formula w iron is a CRC item as are certain jewelry items.

Then I was either mis-informed or incompletely informed. Thanks for the info!

Thanks guys for all your answers, I️ realize every store is diffrerent and have their different ways of doing some things.
1. I️ guess my store need an elctronic team member to get the item then, because someone left an unopened iPad in reshop and when electronics came over to collect their bin, I️ overheard them saying that’s a huge problem and people can’t put it in there.
2. Ugh I’m so nervous for closing, my first shift to close is Wednesday, and I️ haven’t been trained a ton on how to close. It was a brief explanation for 2 minutes.
3. For when a guest is doing a price adjustment for an electronic with a serial number is there any way to do it if the item isn’t with them? I️ had a guest yesterday and they wanted to adjust the price and when I️ did wrong price it asked to scan the product so I️ put in the DPCI and then asked for a seriel number.

Thanks guys for all your answers, I️ realize every store is diffrerent and have their different ways of doing some things.
1. I️ guess my store need an elctronic team member to get the item then, because someone left an unopened iPad in reshop and when electronics came over to collect their bin, I️ overheard them saying that’s a huge problem and people can’t put it in there.
2. Ugh I’m so nervous for closing, my first shift to close is Wednesday, and I️ haven’t been trained a ton on how to close. It was a brief explanation for 2 minutes.
3. For when a guest is doing a price adjustment for an electronic with a serial number is there any way to do it if the item isn’t with them? I️ had a guest yesterday and they wanted to adjust the price and when I️ did wrong price it asked to scan the product so I️ put in the DPCI and then asked for a seriel number.
3. Technically you can type it off the receipt but I wouldn’t recommend that

There isnt much special about opening/closing GS its just keeping it neat and tidy at my store the cart attendants close everything out and take it to the back while the GSTM deals with making it presentable for the morning. With adjustments you could either return it and repurchace it or use the K2 function after scanning the reciept called Target Ad price match, im pretty sure, to change the price as an adjustment. also if they use a card that isnt the recard you could return it, hit total hit K7, Sell items, scan the item again, and adjust the price. Which is the 3 ways i do it.
Guest service is easy if you do it alot, just keep doin it and ask if you need anything during the shift the GSTL should be glad to help and make sure everything goes well

All of our Apple products went to CRC
We didn’t sell any Apple products that were returned, even unopened

I’m gonna just piggyback off this thread since I have a Guest Service related question too.

If a receipt is expired (it’s been past 90 days), do any gift receipts printed on that receipt expire too?
And if someone does a return on a gift receipt, is it like their ID where they get the lowest selling price/have to exchange if it’s over $75? Or do they get back what the gifter paid on the original receipt?

I ask because someone today tried to return an electronic item, with their receipt, but their receipt expired over a month ago so even if I wanted to I couldn’t even attempt the return. The guest was not happy. Demanded store credit. Attempted on their ID. Required an exchange from same department. Guest was not happy. Demanded store credit. Couldn’t fathom the “return by” date under the item no matter how many times I tried to explain it. So long story short, i denied her return.

But, she did have a gift receipt for it on her receipt. Could she come back and return it with the gift receipt and get full price back in store credit?

I really hope not, because she was such a bitch. Lol I’m just wondering if there is a way she’ll be able to get around her receipt being expired

But, she did have a gift receipt for it on her receipt. Could she come back and return it with the gift receipt and get full price back in store credit?

As far as I know, there's no way even the gift receipt will work. The date should be on that gift receipt too so whoever is working GS should catch it. I love how guests think that even if it's been past 30/90 days we can still do something about it, and they just give you this blank stare like "Well, what do you need to do to get me my money?"

It's admirable that some people keep their receipts that long but it clearly says on those receipts what our return policy is lmao
Also, if someone doesn't have their receipt, at least on clothing items there is a little indication of how old those clothes are! You should see something like Q217 (Quarter 2, 2017) on the same tag as the DCPI and you'll know if it's been too long or not. I wish that was located somewhere on electronic items but alas...

1. When returning electronics, do you place the more expensive items into Crc even if there not damaged? I know we can’t put it into the reshop.
2. I’m closing guest services soon and I’m nervous about the closing procedures. When closing all the carts I️ know you put the items into boxes, and crc you have to mark off there all there, but with toss and crc and salvage, who do I️ call to get them cart attendants?, GSTL?
3. When doing a price adjustment, how do you go about that in the system wrong price? if so do the guest need the item to do the price adjustment? And how long can we do price adjustments is it 14 days for everything? Thanks in advance!

1. At my store, we go ahead and CRC expensive electronics if they're opened (don't have the shrinkwrap around the packaging anymore), as many people won't buy previously opened JBL speakers or Apple products, etc. As mentioned by others, if it's an item like a PS4 or a tablet, then it could have personal information on it and they need to go to CRC.

2. Usually cart attendants will take CRC and salvage to the back for you, but you could designate any Guest Services team member as well, if they aren't currently working on something.

For 2 it’s obvious that ASANTS applies. At my store The GS team member pushes salvage and crc to the back and processes it with the pda before stacking it on the pallets. (Along with any esim, donated food, etc. Cart attendants just take the trash. But our gs also closes an hour before the store does so they have time to get this done.

I’m gonna just piggyback off this thread since I have a Guest Service related question too.

If a receipt is expired (it’s been past 90 days), do any gift receipts printed on that receipt expire too?
And if someone does a return on a gift receipt, is it like their ID where they get the lowest selling price/have to exchange if it’s over $75? Or do they get back what the gifter paid on the original receipt?

I ask because someone today tried to return an electronic item, with their receipt, but their receipt expired over a month ago so even if I wanted to I couldn’t even attempt the return. The guest was not happy. Demanded store credit. Attempted on their ID. Required an exchange from same department. Guest was not happy. Demanded store credit. Couldn’t fathom the “return by” date under the item no matter how many times I tried to explain it. So long story short, i denied her return.

I really hope not, because she was such a bitch. Lol I’m just wondering if there is a way she’ll be able to get around her receipt being expired

If the reciept has expired, so has the gift receipt... the gift receipt should also have a date on it just under the barcode I think so say when the expiration date of the receipt is.

Gift receipts are not like ID returns, if returned through the gift receipt it returns onto the gift card at the price the guest paid that brought it for them.
I hate when people get mad at us because they don’t understand it expires at a set date.. like what do they think we are going to do with their T-shirt they brought in 2012, like seriously... with target brand items we do return them for up to a year which works through there reciept and also their card so if you scanned the reciept and it didn’t kick you out instantly saying it’s to old they have something on there that they can return within a year like cat and jack and stuff

Wonder how many times I said reciept in this post... mhm

If the reciept has expired, so has the gift receipt... the gift receipt should also have a date on it just under the barcode I think so say when the expiration date of the receipt is.

Gift receipts are not like ID returns, if returned through the gift receipt it returns onto the gift card at the price the guest paid that brought it for them.
I hate when people get mad at us because they don’t understand it expires at a set date.. like what do they think we are going to do with their T-shirt they brought in 2012, like seriously... with target brand items we do return them for up to a year which works through there reciept and also their card so if you scanned the reciept and it didn’t kick you out instantly saying it’s to old they have something on there that they can return within a year like cat and jack and stuff

Wonder how many times I said reciept in this post... mhm
Unfortunetly the date on the GR is just the purchase date. But they do expire along with the receipt. And you do get the full value or whatever they paid with GR

Unfortunetly the date on the GR is just the purchase date. But they do expire along with the receipt. And you do get the full value or whatever they paid with GR
Oh gotcha I just noticed the date but makes sense but we can still do the simple math of adding 90/120 days

Oh gotcha I just noticed the date but makes sense but we can still do the simple math of adding 90/120 days
Right but guests complain. Normally though they don’t care bc if we do no receipt they’re getting store credit anyways and it’s not like they know exactly how much was spent on them.

The only problem is when the GR expired and the item was clearenced out of our system

I have a probably simple question too that I asked in chat last night but never saw the answer to:

If we’re out of a sale item, say an InstantPot, is it wrong to send the guest up to GS for a rain check? A rain check basically means that when we get them back in stock they get them for the sale price, right? And you can get a rain check for anything except the sales that come with gift cards and say ‘no rainchecks’?

I have a probably simple question too that I asked in chat last night but never saw the answer to:

If we’re out of a sale item, say an InstantPot, is it wrong to send the guest up to GS for a rain check? A rain check basically means that when we get them back in stock they get them for the sale price, right? And you can get a rain check for anything except the sales that come with gift cards and say ‘no rainchecks’?

Yes, that's what a rain check. I'd check to see if any stores in the area have it or if it's available to order from Target.com before giving them a rain check though.

PLEASE check with your GS first. My store does NOT do rain checks at all

Then why even print things on signs that say ‘no rainchecks’ on the gift card items?

Often the ad will say no rain checks on specific items or until quantities last for promotion items.

I know my store doesn't do rain checks anymore either

Then why even print things on signs that say ‘no rainchecks’ on the gift card items?

you shouldn't promise rain checks anyway because sometimes the system literally won't grant one even if the ad doesn't say "no rain checks"

the best thing to do is to check other local Target stores and Target.com to see if it's in stock there.

you shouldn't promise rain checks anyway because sometimes the system literally won't grant one even if the ad doesn't say "no rain checks"

the best thing to do is to check other local Target stores and Target.com to see if it's in stock there.
Yeah, I always tell people to ask at guest service and they might be able to give a raincheck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back