Archived Guest stereotypes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tech knowledge waster. Guest comes to electronics & ask all sorts of questions about an item. Like pros, cons, reviews, costs, & features for about 10 to 20 minutes. Then guest says, it's too expensive & walks away.

Tech knowledge waster. Guest comes to electronics & ask all sorts of questions about an item. Like pros, cons, reviews, costs, & features for about 10 to 20 minutes. Then guest says, it's too expensive & walks away.
We get these in pharmacy too....they will bring in a prescription, ask to speak to the pharmacist about it regarding side effects, interactions, etc. My personal favorites are ones with goofy "allergies" that we have to call the manufacturer (which is a GUARANTEED 15+ minute call) on, have to do an eligibility search (which inevitably finds "something" that is wrong 99% of the time so we then have to call the insurance company, another 10 minutes to find out that this particular insurance company gives each dependent their own ID, but only transmits the members ID during the search), finally process and fill, then decides that the $10 copay is "too high" and wants us to call the doctor for "something cheaper" so the doctor calls in an alternative, which is actually more expensive and we go through the whole process again, only for them to decide that the original really wasn't that bad, so we then reverse the "new" one and have to reprocess/fill the original:mad:

The Circular Logician. I find this type primarily in Photo. These are the types that outright demand that they use their little snowflake's professional photo to make copies for pennies on the dollar that the photographer would have charged. Their arguments hinge on stating that it's their photo and their kid.
We get these in pharmacy as well, except their logic is that "I work for the same company I did last year so my insurance shouldn't have changed". Well, it's a new year, therefore you probably have to meet your deductible again (90% of the cases), have different copays/formulary (5%), or a different PBM (5%). And if you ask them if they got a new card, 99.99% of them said "Well, yeah, but I figured it was the same so I just threw it away":rolleyes:o_O:rolleyes:

There is one man I like to call the Instigator. He is an elderly man who likes to rile cashiers up if he can.
First off he tells you to turn off your belt, he doesn't want it to move during the entire transaction. Secondly you are not to touch one item on the belt until he has taken everything out of his cart, he will yell at you if you dare to touch anything and report you.
Thirdly he hands you each item and tells you which bag to put it in and how to do so. He likes to pair ridiculous items together like his eggs and then 5 cans on top or his meat and fresh fruit.
Once every item is bagged and put into his cart (which he insists you do after each bag is filled) he will then start counting his change. He will quite literally pay for his $200 purchase with singles and quarters.
He especially likes to check out with young girls who are nervous or new to the job.
He is a miserable individual and if I were ever moved into a position of power at the store I would inform him that he is welcome to shop elsewhere.

Aurora, that sounds super suspicious the way he pays. Classic move to pic a younger, new cashier and "mess them up" so that they mess your change up. I'd tell him he needed to bag his own stuff because it goes against the way I was trained and I'm not going to cause an issue where you're having to come back and get refunds for smashed eggs. I don't know how he can threaten to report anyone for anything. Any good LOD would side with the cashier, as people like that (aholes) do not need to be shopping at Target. Not only do they make TM's uncomfortable, but he is probably making guests on the sales floor uncomfortable. Absolutely ridiculous.

Aurora, that sounds super suspicious the way he pays. Classic move to pic a younger, new cashier and "mess them up" so that they mess your change up. I'd tell him he needed to bag his own stuff because it goes against the way I was trained and I'm not going to cause an issue where you're having to come back and get refunds for smashed eggs. I don't know how he can threaten to report anyone for anything. Any good LOD would side with the cashier, as people like that (aholes) do not need to be shopping at Target. Not only do they make TM's uncomfortable, but he is probably making guests on the sales floor uncomfortable. Absolutely ridiculous.

We have all been told to lump things into tens so we know we aren't getting ripped off.
He actually has been known to call and complain and take the surveys and complain about his cashiers.
It's rather annoying because he comes in Sunday afternoons which is one of our busiest times.

There is one man I like to call the Instigator. He is an elderly man who likes to rile cashiers up if he can.
First off he tells you to turn off your belt, he doesn't want it to move during the entire transaction. Secondly you are not to touch one item on the belt until he has taken everything out of his cart, he will yell at you if you dare to touch anything and report you.
Thirdly he hands you each item and tells you which bag to put it in and how to do so. He likes to pair ridiculous items together like his eggs and then 5 cans on top or his meat and fresh fruit.
Once every item is bagged and put into his cart (which he insists you do after each bag is filled) he will then start counting his change. He will quite literally pay for his $200 purchase with singles and quarters.
He especially likes to check out with young girls who are nervous or new to the job.
He is a miserable individual and if I were ever moved into a position of power at the store I would inform him that he is welcome to shop elsewhere.

That is a sorry sack of shit right there.

We have all been told to lump things into tens so we know we aren't getting ripped off.
He actually has been known to call and complain and take the surveys and complain about his cashiers.
It's rather annoying because he comes in Sunday afternoons which is one of our busiest times.
Why does he keep getting them? I thought they stopped printing after you took one???

Why does he keep getting them? I thought they stopped printing after you took one???

How would the POS remember him if he pays cash every time?

Not if you pay cash. The computer has no way of knowing if the guest took a survey.

How would the POS remember him if he pays cash every time?
DUH!!! Be nice to me, I'm sleep deprived (I've had a total of 6 hours in the past 2 nights) :oops:

The "Special" Guests (aka "The Rule-Breakers")
These are the guests who think the rules/laws don't apply to them. If you tell them you can't do something because it's against the rules/law, they want you to do it anyway, like ringing up alcohol anywhere other than the front lanes. I especially enjoy the ones who say "It's okay, I won't tell anyone". In the pharmacy, I just point up and say "You don't have to tell anyone, they watch every move we make". I'm not sure how much this happens in other parts of the store, but it happens almost daily in the pharmacy, whether it's people wanting us to just "give" them medicine when they have no refills or an expired Rx, or wanting us to "override" the PSE limits, they seem to think we can just do whatever we want. They don't realize that we could lose our licenses and, in most cases, end up in jail by doing whatever it is they're asking us to do! Sorry, I'm not going to jail for ANYONE, much less a guest!

The tech phobes...these lovely people will come in and need either a baby registry done or need to submit a photo order...both of which are done on our SELF-serve kiosks. Only they won't go attempt it themselves, first. They will insist that someone come hold their hand because they don't want to do it themselves, or "don't know how." Umm...I received no training on either of these, and figured it out the same way as everyone else: by doing it.

Extra fun is the TMs who won't help out the guests, either, and make another TM who is swamped with guests (me) come do it. Argh!

Last edited:
The tech ohobes...these lovely people will come in and need either a baby registry done or need to submit a photo order...both of which are done on our SELF-serve kiosks. Only they won't go attempt it themselves, first. They will insist that someone come hold their hand because they don't want to do it themselves, or "don't know how." Umm...I received no training on either of these, and figured it out the same way as everyone else: by doing it.

Extra fun is the TMs who won't help out the guests, either, and make another TM who is swamped with guests (me) come do it. Argh!

This. Every day at my other job.

The "Special" Guests (aka "The Rule-Breakers")
These are the guests who think the rules/laws don't apply to them.
Ah yes, the "Special" people. Bet they're parked in a handicapped spot and don't have a handicapped plate or card - or a handicap.
But they DO have a handicap: they're conscientiously-impaired.

The Hick Family

These guests decided the best way to do their shopping is by bringing the entire family along, usually 5+ children. They travel in a pack from section to section, blocking the walking path of everyone in their way. They practically yell at each other and multiple times there will be an argument over a certain item one of the kids wants. The Hick Family destroys every zone as the trip to the store is treated as a carnival for their amusement. 80% chance they will be using fraudulent coupons.

The Hick Family

These guests decided the best way to do their shopping is by bringing the entire family along, usually 5+ children. They travel in a pack from section to section, blocking the walking path of everyone in their way. They practically yell at each other and multiple times there will be an argument over a certain item one of the kids wants. The Hick Family destroys every zone as the trip to the store is treated as a carnival for their amusement. 80% chance they will be using fraudulent coupons.

There's also an 80% chance that one of the kids will make a code brown...

The Hick Family

There is also a 75% chance that the parents are morbidly obese, and the children are on their way to that point. Or maybe that's just my store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back