Archived Guest stereotypes

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Hick Family

These guests decided the best way to do their shopping is by bringing the entire family along, usually 5+ children. They travel in a pack from section to section, blocking the walking path of everyone in their way. They practically yell at each other and multiple times there will be an argument over a certain item one of the kids wants. The Hick Family destroys every zone as the trip to the store is treated as a carnival for their amusement. 80% chance they will be using fraudulent coupons.

I had one of these one day. They smelled like stale piss and they had a lot of coupons that weren't technically fraudulent, but they were insisting that we accept them for the wrong items. They also kept calling me by my first name on my name tag a bizarre number of times.

Have we added the "Is it safe to use my card?" and the bystander "Don't use your card here. They got hacked."
Or the ones who I get to sign up for a red card and all of the sudden, friend/family member tells them not to and I end up cancelling the app. GRR

I call them the unhelpful bystanders.
They are the same ones who jump into the conversation with their opinion about the TV you're trying to help the customer with, which is just about always wrong or totally irrelevant.

I call them, IGiveYous: We have a good gypsy population here. So I get this group of people who will bring up their selection of merchandise and say "so I give you 20 dollars." to which I reply, "unfortunately that, sir, is a 180 dollar Keurig to which there are no negotiations over " when I'm really like bitch please.

I call them, IGiveYous: We have a good gypsy population here. So I get this group of people who will bring up their selection of merchandise and say "so I give you 20 dollars." to which I reply, "unfortunately that, sir, is a 180 dollar Keurig to which there are no negotiations over " when I'm really like bitch please.

Honestly, I'd just slowly blink at them and ask if they'd like to put the rest on a card or something.

Thank you for this. I had someone come in today asking for something similar be done, I think I'll try saying it your way next time! :D

The Hick Bigots.

These are the guests that make you feel extremely uncomfortable because of your race, sexual orientation, or anything that isn't a typical Caucasian male/female attribute. They almost always act as if you're carrying the plague, will never make eye contact with you, set the money on the counter, and, in worst case scenarios, will make bigoted comments relating to you, with their family/friends. You can also call them; uneducated trash, assholes, or rednecks.

My store location/area has MANY guests the are like this. :(

The Control Freak: they tell you how to bag. They wont put their clothes on the belt. They tell you how to fold the clothes. They tell you they don't want hangers. They think you are stupid. They make sure the price of each item is correct.
And they always swipe their cards right away. When they aren't looking I hit suspend, Unsuspend and don't tell them that they have to re-swipe the card until I'm finished.
When they ask if they will be charged twice, I say, I don't think so - well, because I am stupid - and say if they get charged twice just bring the bill in with their receipt and guest service will adjust it.

Honestly, I am usually very nice to the guests, but the control freak can sometimes put me over the edge.

Yeh, the Control Freak at Starbux gives you a long, convoluted order which translates to a simple cup marking. Yet, they'll ask you several times if you used the right milk, try to watch you as you're making it & taste it suspiciously while asking you AGAIN if you did xxx when making their drink.
Then & ONLY then will they drift away sipping their drink pensively while trying to decide if it's 'right'.

The Hick Bigots.

These are the guests that make you feel extremely uncomfortable because of your race, sexual orientation, or anything that isn't a typical Caucasian male/female attribute. They almost always act as if you're carrying the plague, will never make eye contact with you, set the money on the counter, and, in worst case scenarios, will make bigoted comments relating to you, with their family/friends. You can also call them; uneducated trash, assholes, or rednecks.

I have an ETL like this. He's the reason Daddy drinks.

I dont know what the Stereotype would be called but the Parents that have screaming children that can be heard throughout the entire store and they dont do anything about it...:eek:

Usually happens around the Pharmacy area the most. I remember one time on break all i could hear is the screams of a child for like 10 minutes straight ...what an enjoyable break

When I hear screaming kids - I look at the time, and it's almost always lunch or dinner time - weekends are the worst. Don't these parents think? Drag the kids from store to store, no food, no drink, sit in a cart for hours. That would make me cry too. Geesh with all that noise I can't get anyone to listen to my redcard speech... LOL I have not heard that excuse from cashiers as to why they aren't getting redcards - it would be a good one, not acceptable, but original -
Here's the scenario:
GSTL - Your conversion is very low this week. What do you think you can do to improve it?
Cashier: No one can hear me asking about redcards because there were to many kids crying.
GSTL: How do you think you can fix that?
Cashier: Maybe give the kids a cookie?

The Hick Bigots.

It's even worse when they think you are one of them and make comments they are certain you're going to agree with.
Yea, NO.

Just cause I look like white trash doesn't mean I think like that.

Last edited:
The loitering people that I see when I'm pushing a flatbed of misc and I see them in every department buying nothing.

The jerk that hates when you ask him CIHYFS?

The school bus of special needs adults that lap the store for no reason

The" I should've just gone to Wal-Mart" person

The "I've bought it here before" person

The ""where's your restrooms?" Person

The person that asks where an item is and its literally right next to where they're standing " oh I just missed it!"

What about the guests that never look left or right when walking out of an aisle while pushing their shopping carts? And they're usually going fast and they look down at you since you are allegedly suppose to stop for them even though you are in the main pathway in grocery and basically have the right of way.

I get the "Where's your Restroom?" question Daily, everytime I do the Pfresh order. and I have to explain that it is completely on the other side of the store.

You think you may have experienced the ultimate in guest magnetism, until you shoot a Pfresh Order, they come at you like a hawk.

I have literally had to wear a Cooler Coat over my Red shirt so that I could get it done in time.

The guest who asks me to find something in the back for them then disappears when I bring their items out for them. That guest is the worst.

Also, the Hot Wheels guys, of which there are many at my store. As a toy collector, I understand the frustrations of the hunt, but you're not gonna get the new tiny cars any faster if you act pissy because no new shipments have come in. Not all of then are like this, but enough of them are that I think they're worth noting.

Last edited:
I'm surprised this hasn't been posted

484f3w4.jpg

I dont know what the Stereotype would be called but the Parents that have screaming children that can be heard throughout the entire store and they dont do anything about it...:eek:

Usually happens around the Pharmacy area the most. I remember one time on break all i could hear is the screams of a child for like 10 minutes straight ...what an enjoyable break

You must not be a parent.

There is a magical age, usually between 18 and 36 months, where they are too young to understand punishment, but old enough to WAAAIIIIILLL when they can't have what they want. It does not happen with every child, but it's a significant portion.

Nothing in the universe can prevent this. Parents of these children experience hearing loss. You are annoyed for a few minutes. Suck it up, Princess. The world's not perfect.

You must not be a parent.

There is a magical age, usually between 18 and 36 months, where they are too young to understand punishment, but old enough to WAAAIIIIILLL when they can't have what they want. It does not happen with every child, but it's a significant portion.

Nothing in the universe can prevent this. Parents of these children experience hearing loss. You are annoyed for a few minutes. Suck it up, Princess. The world's not perfect.
I am a parent of 3 , and I never tolerated my kids wailing ,no matter how old they were!!!
You can prevent it ! Don't go out during nap / lunch time / when they are sick or already fussing ! And when they cry , go home!!!
For you it might be your only lovely child crying , for the employees it might be the 23 rd one in a span of 30 mn!!!
The world might not be perfect , but it doesn't revolve around your kid either!

Spoken like a lousy apathetic parent.

I learned very, very young, that no meant no. And most of the children wailing in the stores are far older than three years of age.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back