Archived Guest stereotypes

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those who have seen Breaking Bad, the Lydia Quayle.

That super anxious, high-strung, nervous, jittery guest who asks you the same questions ten times over because when you respond they can't seem to retain any simple information. Oftentimes come in the form of soccer moms who are perfectionists and control freaks.

^We called those 'moms on speed' after seeing a TV segment about suburban housewives who'd take a little pick-me-up before staying awake four weeks straight volunteering to call every PTA committee member, organize the school carnival (in one night), bake eighteen dozen cupcakes for the fifth grade graduation, carpool the entire girls' softball team to the regional tournament, reorganize their craft room top to bottom, paint & redecorate the entire house before Thanksgiving, host her sister's backyard wedding, participate in a UNICEF walkathon, etc.
You can see the eye twitch while they speak in a blur.

latest

I am so using this later ;)

^We called those 'moms on speed' after seeing a TV segment about suburban housewives who'd take a little pick-me-up before staying awake four weeks straight volunteering to call every PTA committee member, organize the school carnival (in one night), bake eighteen dozen cupcakes for the fifth grade graduation, carpool the entire girls' softball team to the regional tournament, reorganize their craft room top to bottom, paint & redecorate the entire house before Thanksgiving, host her sister's backyard wedding, participate in a UNICEF walkathon, etc.
You can see the eye twitch while they speak in a blur.

The same parents who are all upset that Little Johnny was caught chopping up his friend with ADHD's Ritilan to snort it.

Last edited:
The women who will ask my male coworker about electronics because, as a fellow woman, I know nothing about electronics. Sorry lady, I get paid to be back here, I know a lot of shit.

Yep I get major side eye when almost all automotive questions are sent to me.

The women who will ask my male coworker about electronics because, as a fellow woman, I know nothing about electronics. Sorry lady, I get paid to be back here, I know a lot of shit.
Yep I get major side eye when almost all automotive questions are sent to me.

I've actually had guests ask me to get a man to help them. I just pointed them to the price scanner and said bye.

"YOU SOLD MY KID AN ENERGY DRINK. DON'T YOU CARD FOR THAT? HOW DARE YOU? LOOK AT HIM! CAN'T YOU SEE HOW OLD HE IS, AND YET YOU STILL SOLD HIM AN ENERGY DRINK! DON'T YOU WATCH THE NEWS! THAT'S HOW CHILDREN DIE!!"

Then she goes on to claim that it's against state law to sell energy drinks to people under 18, and that I should've carded her son. Uh, no Ms. Crazy Soccer Mom Bitch, that's not a law anywhere. It's caffeine, not fucking Jack Daniel's.

This happened when I worked at Spot still but I never posted it here. This just goes back to my earlier post in this thread about how much I can't stand parents and their children. Probably in my top three of worst things about retail.

I have never seen Breaking Bad, but unfortunately, this sounds like me.
I have another problem with cashiers. I also try very hard to be nice and I always fill out all surveys 100%
All these surveys pile up next to the computer and I get frantic to get them done so no one will be disappointed
My husband hates it. I am working with my counselor on all my cashier anxieties.
I am totally serious dude.

The ones that yell at you that they've got their own bags after they stuck them at the end of the order behind a ginormous pack of paper towels and a mile high pack of TP. Yes, let me use my X-ray vision.

Pick plastic bagged stuff and put it their bags and refuse to give discount. Keep face deadpan.

Spanish-speaking guests who talk in Spanish to each other but in English to me. :( My name is literally a Spanish name, too, and I look like I am -- from too small of a country. Edited out. (which I am). How do they not get it? Only one time did I ever have a guest actually know I could assist them without them using English and it was a lot easier because it was so much easier for her to communicate. It was a little girl, too. One day I will start just answering in Spanish. I can see it now.

Guest to other guest they are with: Cual es el precio? *asks me* How much is this?
Me: *scans $80* Ochenta.
Guests: :O Ella habla español.

:) It's not like we live in Edited out state, the state with a large% of the population being able to speak Spanish. It's not like my name badge displays it or anything. Also, let's not forget the fact that not just the way I look, my name, and the way I speak in English with an accent should be a big give-away. Yeah, let's just assume I speak only English.

I wouldn't mind it at all, but a lot of the times the guests end up translating to one another whilst I am there awkwardly knowing exactly what is being translated and not wanting to be rude. I can see them not wanting to be embarrassed for assuming things based on my appearance, but it's clear not just in my appearance because I have it on my name badge and within my voice.

Last edited:
On the other side of that, I have a Spanish name, look Hispanic, and I don't speak conversational Spanish. Every once in awhile someone will assume I speak Spanish and try and start a conversation that way, but mostly people will ask first. I don't really mind it when people pick the wrong language but some people have seemed really embarrassed when they found out I don't speak Spanish. I think people just don't want to assume things, and in the US English is the safest bet for a common language.

On the other side of that, I have a Spanish name, look Hispanic, and I don't speak conversational Spanish. Every once in awhile someone will assume I speak Spanish and try and start a conversation that way, but mostly people will ask first. I don't really mind it when people pick the wrong language but some people have seemed really embarrassed when they found out I don't speak Spanish. I think people just don't want to assume things, and in the US English is the safest bet for a common language.
Haha, yeah. My accent is a pretty clear indication for guests, and I just wish they would speak in Spanish if I could help them better instead of in English where they end up confusing both of us. We could also skip that translation step LOL. I had a guest once ask for snow pants but we said "white pants" and we showed him where the white pants were and then he said "No, pants for the white" and then said "Snow pants" in Spanish and then we were able to help him out. In scenarios like that, I wouldn't want them to be confused when we are able to help out in the first place. I should also mention we live in a bigger city and our store is near the airport. It's pretty neat to see everyone from all over the world coming to pick up travel items. :D Fortunately, we normally have Spanish-speaking, Arabic-speaking, and English-speaking team members on the sales floor. It's quite nice. We also have one German-speaking team member but she only has about 20 hour a week. :(

Edit: I forgot to mention I have the little phrase on my name badge so that guests know I speak Spanish.

Haha, yeah. My accent is a pretty clear indication for guests, and I just wish they would speak in Spanish if I could help them better instead of in English where they end up confusing both of us. We could also skip that translation step LOL. I had a guest once ask for snow pants but we said "white pants" and we showed him where the white pants were and then he said "No, pants for the white" and then said "Snow pants" in Spanish and then we were able to help him out. In scenarios like that, I wouldn't want them to be confused when we are able to help out in the first place. I should also mention we live in a bigger city and our store is near the airport. It's pretty neat to see everyone from all over the world coming to pick up travel items. :D Fortunately, we normally have Spanish-speaking, Arabic-speaking, and English-speaking team members on the sales floor. It's quite nice. We also have one German-speaking team member but she only has about 20 hour a week. :(

Edit: I forgot to mention I have the little phrase on my name badge so that guests know I speak Spanish.

Ah, I was just going to suggest that you get a "se habla espanol" name badge. Awhile back I ordered those for all the Spanish-speaking front end team members I knew of and it's helped confusion a lot. About half of the front end people at my store who speak fluent Spanish are white kids anyway. Of course it doesn't help if people don't read your nametag!

If they smell strongly of cigarettes, I immediately become wary of their return. Most of the people who do return fraud just happen to smoke. So it's a bad association.
Sadly, you seem correct. Also we can not put anything back on the floor if they are smokers, especially clothes. The stuff reeks of smoke. Who wants to buy something that smells like an ashtray?

The I-think-I-know-your-store-better-than-you-do-ers. Bonus points if they try to (badly) describe the location of what they're looking for over the phone.

The motormouths and the kiddie sirens bother me most, I'm going on to the sales floor for whatever reason, pushing stock, getting a coffee or going to the breakroom and a guest comes up to me right before my shift ends and turns the ignition on their mouth, and next thing you know, I miss my break because this person is rambling on for 30-40 minutes. And the kiddie sirens make it worse, they are crying at full volume 3 feet away from me while their mother rambles on for god knows how long, ugh.

Here are some parent stereotypes.

I don't say this in a hateful way....but Mexican people....and people from the Mediterranean....commonly let their kids run wild. The Mexican kids are hyper as fuck and run wild, obnoxiously begging their parents for toys and snacks. The Mediterranean kids aren't hyper, but they are spoiled, and throw fits when not getting what they want. These are the ones that you'll hear screaming at the top of their lungs, all the way in the back of the store.

Then there are the soccer moms whom are so removed from reality, their kids are both spoiled AND hyper as fuck, even though she doesn't let her kids eat candy or soda and buys exclusively organic products. You know these moms. Always on their phone, fake nails, severe hair cuts, dead eyes, probably on the verge of divorce, and can't function without a drink in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back