MEGATHREAD Hang Me (The Softlines Thread)

You're right but you'd think they'd eventually get to that point. :-/
I feel like corporate starts a lot of great ideas, but then for one reason or another just completely forgets them or gives responsibility to someone who doesn't understand them.

I'd bet that the person running RFID from corporate legitimately thinks that it changes the on-hands.

I feel like corporate starts a lot of great ideas, but then for one reason or another just completely forgets them or gives responsibility to someone who doesn't understand them.

I'd bet that the person running RFID from corporate legitimately thinks that it changes the on-hands.

Dang, I can really see that. After some of the planos they give us to set? I had a couple for JKY in Intimates that made no damn sense at all. They wanted me to put slip shorts under long slips on a convertible (not tall enough) and when you added up all the measurements for how far apart to put the bars the inches came out to more than the convertible was high.....high, like I feel they are most of the time -_- But, yeh, I can see that totally.

It is rather HARD to care when you're drowning in pogs... :(

Sounds like you guys gotta get a different plan in place for heavy workload weeks. We had plano handle intimates and shoes. SL helped push and do the finishing touches a bit in those areas. On a day when both my TLs were working, they, myself and another experienced tm set the kids' core bars and the tee/cardigan tables. For kids denim, myself, a TL and a few other tms worked together with our signing tm and ETL and had it done in one day. Another day, I set the RTW jean wall while my other TL took care of the 202s. Next day, I did the remaining kids'/infant pogs. Our store is taking 5-6 trucks a week right now, but we got lucky and only had 5 that week. All of our SL tms were scheduled 40 hours if possible, so on our non-truck day we just had everybody focus on kids' denim. Can't your store have more than one/two tms involved in the process, even if plano is not allowed to help you? Do you still have plano? What'd they do during that week?

Sounds like you guys gotta get a different plan in place for heavy workload weeks. We had plano handle intimates and shoes. SL helped push and do the finishing touches a bit in those areas. On a day when both my TLs were working, they, myself and another experienced tm set the kids' core bars and the tee/cardigan tables. For kids denim, myself, a TL and a few other tms worked together with our signing tm and ETL and had it done in one day. Another day, I set the RTW jean wall while my other TL took care of the 202s. Next day, I did the remaining kids'/infant pogs. Our store is taking 5-6 trucks a week right now, but we got lucky and only had 5 that week. All of our SL tms were scheduled 40 hours if possible, so on our non-truck day we just had everybody focus on kids' denim. Can't your store have more than one/two tms involved in the process, even if plano is not allowed to help you? Do you still have plano? What'd they do during that week?

Normally when there is a huge workload I start setting it up 2 weeks out and we clear by the end of the week BUT we just completed the 2.0 remodel in Softlines (and due to my help being necessary in that I could not get an early start). We simply don't have the team members you have to cover it all. They hired a lot of college kids and a couple of minors this summer which I don't have a problem with per se but school will be starting here in a month and we're doomed to lose at least half of them and those we don't lose are going to want to cut their scheduled hours and narrow their availability. So once again we're trying to hire... We take a minimum of 5 trucks a week and occasionally 6. We're getting this whole "don't backstock anything" mantra right now which is assinine. Sales are down now and I believe it's due to lack of shopability due to TOO much crowding the departments. We'll get it all figured out and straightened out eventually. We do have good leadership we're just caught digging our way out of the post re-model gutter at the moment. As for plano they're helping with the remodel on the other side of the building and are behind in their own work. They have no time/hrs to spare to help us.

Normally when there is a huge workload I start setting it up 2 weeks out and we clear by the end of the week BUT we just completed the 2.0 remodel in Softlines (and due to my help being necessary in that I could not get an early start). We simply don't have the team members you have to cover it all. They hired a lot of college kids and a couple of minors this summer which I don't have a problem with per se but school will be starting here in a month and we're doomed to lose at least half of them and those we don't lose are going to want to cut their scheduled hours and narrow their availability. So once again we're trying to hire... We take a minimum of 5 trucks a week and occasionally 6. We're getting this whole "don't backstock anything" mantra right now which is assinine. Sales are down now and I believe it's due to lack of shopability due to TOO much crowding the departments. We'll get it all figured out and straightened out eventually. We do have good leadership we're just caught digging our way out of the post re-model gutter at the moment. As for plano they're helping with the remodel on the other side of the building and are behind in their own work. They have no time/hrs to spare to help us.

Gotcha. Our remodel is coming up soon. We don't have many tms either. Actually I believe its about 10-12, and most are leaving to go back to school soon as well. We had I believe 7-8 plus one TL when we did the kids' denim with no truck. One person doing the RFID scan, one on pricing, one on FRO, one-two on reshop, and the rest of us and the TL on the denim. One of my TLs said we are looking to hire 6 new tms, but not many people are applying.

As for backstock, we are backstocking more than ever before, including hanging. It's going to create headaches for us, not to mention pricing and SFS, but according to leadership, corporate is saying no more extending quad arms and no more double hanging, so we have to send more stuff back. Our sales are actually really good right now per my STL. I dread our remodel though. Last time when we did the electronics one, we had support from other stores. Hopefully, we will again this time around because I don't see us being able to get the job done on our own.

Gotcha. Our remodel is coming up soon. We don't have many tms either. Actually I believe its about 10-12, and most are leaving to go back to school soon as well. We had I believe 7-8 plus one TL when we did the kids' denim with no truck. One person doing the RFID scan, one on pricing, one on FRO, one-two on reshop, and the rest of us and the TL on the denim. One of my TLs said we are looking to hire 6 new tms, but not many people are applying.

As for backstock, we are backstocking more than ever before, including hanging. It's going to create headaches for us, not to mention pricing and SFS, but according to leadership, corporate is saying no more extending quad arms and no more double hanging, so we have to send more stuff back. Our sales are actually really good right now per my STL. I dread our remodel though. Last time when we did the electronics one, we had support from other stores. Hopefully, we will again this time around because I don't see us being able to get the job done on our own.

I think the big issue is a miscommunication. They're saying no backstocking but I think what it really is IS that the backroom is not supposed to be doing our backstocking, we are. But somehow that translated into "no backstocking". I know how these things work. They'll go with it till it kicks them in the butt and then they'll change it up.

I have the two girls and two boys core bars done as well as both denim walls (except for the displays). Got those done in two days with about an hour help for push. I just need to get the 202s and the cardigan/fave tee tables done but it won't happen this week. I have RFID to do tomorrow. That's one thing I wish I could get off my plate but that's probably not going to happen.

I have RFID to do tomorrow. That's one thing I wish I could get off my plate but that's probably not going to happen.

This I can't stand. At first my one TL was doing it and then I was trained to be her backup. Then, out of necessity (i.e. me not being scheduled on scan day) they trained another person, who has been doing it since. She doesn't like it either, but better her than me.
I am being pulled in so many different directions as the most experienced "full-time" tm on the team. I already knew pricing, plano, backstocking, pulling batches, etc. before E2E. My TLs consider me one of the fastest two truck pushers and re-shoppers as well so now I'm wanted to do everything. If I had a choice, I'd do plano/workload and price change only, helping out with backstock if I had extra time. And no FRO shifts.

This I can't stand. At first my one TL was doing it and then I was trained to be her backup. Then, out of necessity (i.e. me not being scheduled on scan day) they trained another person, who has been doing it since. She doesn't like it either, but better her than me.
I am being pulled in so many different directions as the most experienced "full-time" tm on the team. I already knew pricing, plano, backstocking, pulling batches, etc. before E2E. My TLs consider me one of the fastest two truck pushers and re-shoppers as well so now I'm wanted to do everything. If I had a choice, I'd do plano/workload and price change only, helping out with backstock if I had extra time. And no FRO shifts.

Preach it! I can pull batches, backstock, do pricing, workload/plano, FRO, RFID, RIGS, cashiering, ad setup... and so forth. I know more than any TM we have in Softlines. I wish I could change that. I'd like to teach others to do workload too and actually do this E2E properly and "own" one area and do everything in that area and make it awesome.... but not going to happen. When they give me help I teach the process as much as I can. They gave me one softlines TM during the Intimates reset for about half the time I spent in there. I taught her to pull and do planos. It slowed me down a little but it was worth it in the end. I hate RFID, though. I really HAAAATE RFID. It's like playing a game you can NEVER win under time constraints and the wifi in our store sux so it's a full shift process. -_-

Preach it! I can pull batches, backstock, do pricing, workload/plano, FRO, RFID, RIGS, cashiering, ad setup... and so forth. I know more than any TM we have in Softlines. I wish I could change that. I'd like to teach others to do workload too and actually do this E2E properly and "own" one area and do everything in that area and make it awesome.... but not going to happen. When they give me help I teach the process as much as I can. They gave me one softlines TM during the Intimates reset for about half the time I spent in there. I taught her to pull and do planos. It slowed me down a little but it was worth it in the end. I hate RFID, though. I really HAAAATE RFID. It's like playing a game you can NEVER win under time constraints and the wifi in our store sux so it's a full shift process. -_-

If I could love this I would. I know more than my TLs do. I would LOVE my own area. RFID sucks. Last week I covered the scanner's break and needed a new battery for the sled. ETL-LOG went to change the battery for me, and we lost the scan. I hid from the STL when he arrived later that day lol

If I could love this I would. I know more than my TLs do. I would LOVE my own area. RFID sucks. Last week I covered the scanner's break and needed a new battery for the sled. ETL-LOG went to change the battery for me, and we lost the scan. I hid from the STL when he arrived later that day lol
I do more than anyone else, they know Im the best, they want more and more they used to love me now I feel that they hate me... because I have this tl that talks bs about me .... Etls, tms, lods belived her but they want all their extra job done and they want me ... why, I dont get it?

RFID does not replace good ole fashion research. A RFID scan will not create batches to pull like research does if items are located in the backroom.

So all the lovely college/high school girls they hired over the summer are heading out the door back to school. I wish they would have thought about this before hiring so many. Now we're over our heads again. *sigh* Not sure how I'm going to accomplish workload stuck behind the FRO desk. ><

So all the lovely college/high school girls they hired over the summer are heading out the door back to school. I wish they would have thought about this before hiring so many. Now we're over our heads again. *sigh* Not sure how I'm going to accomplish workload stuck behind the FRO desk. ><
THIS. We cant get anybody new. We are literally down to 6? TMs for an A-volume store, most of whom can only work limited hours.

:eek: we have about 12 - 15 for our SL/FRO team in our ULV store.

Don't your stores ask when they leave in the interview? We won't hire for summer only.

Don't your stores ask when they leave in the interview? We won't hire for summer only.
We hired for summer only for the first time this year. But also we had some people changing their schedules for the fall semester around after they'd already been working for a while. Also, SL at my store has a veryyy high turnover rate. I'm not positive about why, but I have some ideas...

I'm beginning to think we ALL work at the same store ! We're losing 6 TMs as well..... only 1 was a "summer job" because of school (she does the LOA thing between semesters). Everyone one else was, "Hey, Sprinkles....*surprise*.... I'm going (back to school, or moving up North, or moving w/ my family, or fill in the blank). UGH !
And...... it is soooooo difficult to find qualified A&A TMs. We're not just looking for open availability anymore. They have to have a WOW-Factor in the interview..... or they don't get the 2nd interview.

To be fair, some of them didn't volunteer the info that they'd be leaving after the summer but you can't do anything to change that once they're gone. The problem is that they're looking for a certain "look/vibe" and personally I'd take some steady, reliable, not quite so fashionable TMs any freaking day of the week rather than a horde of fashion models you can't count on to stay with us and help get the work done. If I had to hire under the same current qualifications they would have never taken me and yet I'm (according to them) their most reliable workhorse. They say they need more people like me all the time and my inner response is 'then you need to focus on the individual and not the way they look'.

Don't get me wrong, it's not necessarily that the look they're going for is useless on the floor. They managed to get a couple of TMs that are exactly what they're looking for and are hard workers. But they too have no intention of staying with Target for the long term. See, the real problem is that what they're looking for can do better than Target and very few of them would ever be here long enough to actually help the department get where it needs to go.

But that's my opinion for what it's worth...

If I had to hire under the same current qualifications they would have never taken me and yet I'm (according to them) their most reliable workhorse. They say they need more people like me all the time and my inner response is 'then you need to focus on the individual and not the way they look'.

THIS. I know I'm not want they want. I have zero fashion sense, dislike having entire discussions with guests (obviously I do help them with questions, etc.), and I honestly do not like SL. Yet, I am one of if not the absolute fastest truck pusher, reshopper, and zoner, and can be relied upon to do PC, POGs/adjacencies, and whatever else needs to be done. In short, they are getting too picky. You need people who are available and trainable, eager to learn and all that jazz. That's it. Then you have to pray that they last...

To be fair, some of them didn't volunteer the info that they'd be leaving after the summer but you can't do anything to change that once they're gone. The problem is that they're looking for a certain "look/vibe" and personally I'd take some steady, reliable, not quite so fashionable TMs any freaking day of the week rather than a horde of fashion models you can't count on to stay with us and help get the work done.

Hahahahahahah..... this is EXACTLY what I hear the ETLs saying !! They want the potential candidate to have a "look"..... cute, fashionable. It feels like match.com !!!! We only care about looks, not substance. I don't care what the candidate "looks like". I want a candidate who SMILES, who speaks well, who has a friendly personality, who likes to be active/busy/fast. If the candidate brings that to the table? I'll teach them the rest.

I want a candidate who SMILES, who speaks well, who has a friendly personality, who likes to be active/busy/fast. If the candidate brings that to the table? I'll teach them the rest.

The above describes me completely. But I have social anxiety so I'm just not comfortable going up to a guest and being like "hey try on this sweater it'll look good on you!" But I'm totally ok with greeting people going into the fitting rooms or asking CIHYFS, etc. But its still not good enough. I work my butt off every day and that keeps me around, even though I'd be totally fine with leaving SL/style.

Has anyone done the new online selling training yet? It might be helpful. Gives some scripts and strategies.

RFID doesn't actually change any on-hand counts. It just keeps a separate count that is used for things like _____ and _____.

You're right but you'd think they'd eventually get to that point. :-/

I actually hope not. RFID picks up the electronic chip on the tag. That's efficient....until you find tags stuffed in pockets or some clothes whose tags are missing. That sort of stuff needs a physical inventory.

I actually hope not. RFID picks up the electronic chip on the tag. That's efficient....until you find tags stuffed in pockets or some clothes whose tags are missing. That sort of stuff needs a physical inventory.
Because those tags are still in the store, they are still counted during the weekly scans. So that wouldn't really make a difference.

Because those tags are still in the store, they are still counted during the weekly scans. So that wouldn't really make a difference.

I disagree. Here's an example. If a store needs more Large size folded shirts of a particular type but there's six tags hidden on the floor, the RFID scan would not tell the system more shirts are needed because it thinks there are six more shirts than really exist. A physical counting will show that the shirts are gone and will tell the system more shirts are needed.

Back