Archived Has Target changed you? If so, how?

• Thread starter Guest
  • Start date
  • Replies 95
  • Views 9K
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah it's just kinda the truth.. You'd be surprised realizing how far mastering the "I really care" act can take you, especially when you spice it up with some imitation enthusiasm and essence of yes sir/no sir

Nah it's just kinda the truth.. You'd be surprised realizing how far mastering the "I really care" act can take you, especially when you spice it up with some imitation enthusiasm and essence of yes sir/no sir

And some people have worked at Spot long enough that they've been capped out.
They can't make more no matter how much the 'care'.

They could take the route one might care to achieve.. An excellent review or above will result in a raise after 6 years.. Best way is to care enough to status with tl and Etl to find out what they require from you in order to get that raise.. I guess that's more effort than care

Its not that complicated.. you just have to be willing to work harder than everyone else in your dpt, and if you think about it, that's not difficult at all. Seek. Accomplish, repeat. Raise

Been there, done that 12 yrs in.
They found out how hard a worker I was when I left the front end.
Most of my duties were split among 4 GSAs/GSTLs; the rest were turned into captainships.
I was proofreading my ETLs' presentation papers when I realized I had graduated from college before they were even born.

Target surprisingly made me more trusting. I worked at Wal-Mart where everything was dog eat dog. The people at my store are 80% decent compared to the .0001% at Wal-Mart. When I first started working at my store I was actually perturbed by how friendly people were based on past work experiences.

I will never get a raise. Never. I'm beyond capped out I'm sure. Although maybe not because my rate hasn't dropped with more than 6 months in work center change.

I never even got my review.... Just as well to be honest. But knowing I will never get an extra quarter for doing my job well - I still do my job, it's how I was raised, but it irks.

I did get verbal acknowledgement they will reduce my weekly hours to wait I wanted when I was hired. We will see how that goes....

I will never get a raise. Never. I'm beyond capped out I'm sure. Although maybe not because my rate hasn't dropped with more than 6 months in work center change.

I never even got my review.... Just as well to be honest. But knowing I will never get an extra quarter for doing my job well - I still do my job, it's how I was raised, but it irks.

I did get verbal acknowledgement they will reduce my weekly hours to wait I wanted when I was hired. We will see how that goes....
Sounds like giving up to me. You only cap out of a raise if you fall below excellent on review. If you arent sure how to earn the wage you can ask what's needed to achieve such a rating from your Etl.. Or you can say "screw that, I'll just keep complaining", it sure is a lot easier..

No one should get capped out. Plain and simple. And don't give me this work harder bull shite. You and I both know dem reviews are rigged and stores can only give out so many high scores.

No one should get capped out. Plain and simple. And don't give me this work harder bull shite. You and I both know dem reviews are rigged and stores can only give out so many high scores.
I agree. A cart attendant who works for 20 years and never attempted to move up deserves 18$/hr[/not]

The base positions are not intended to support you, that's why they're not full time. You're supposed to want to move up (requires trying, sometimes more than once) or quit once you're through with school..

I used to like working retail. The changes over the years changed my views on that. To be fair though, Target gave me a lot of positive changes as well. I learned some measure of patience and a fair amount of leadership skills from the experienced ETLs that were at my store when I started.

The base positions are not intended to support you, that's why they're not full time. You're supposed to want to move up (requires trying, sometimes more than once) or quit once you're through with school..

Back in the 80s I worked in a grocery store where a cashier could make a house payment and own a car on what they made.
There were couple there who put kids through college and don't even get me started on what the meat cutters made an hour.
The reason they made a living wage, they were union.
We also had good health insurance.

Not that I disagree, but could you tell us where you learned this? To state it like a fact seems like circular logic. It goes like this: such and such company begins paying their employees a sub- living wage. Undercut the competition. Other companies follow. And then it follows that now, now the jobs are not meant to be either full time or have a living wage. Only because the companies have made it that way. Give it time and team lead, etl, and STL positions may be considered this.

Fear not, the CEO pay of major companies, compared to 30 years ago, is a magnitude higher than the average employee. And it is increasing each year.

Google "CEO pay ratio" and look at the results. The CEO pay has increased as a logarithmic curve.

Last edited:
Being there for a million years should count toward something. Being there forever proves you are loyal and obviously dedicated. That means you should get something and not zero cents or dollar. Bam! Abracadabra 25 cent raise appear! Now!

Jackofallworkcenters. bravo!

That last paragraph is exactly how I feel and I'm sure most team members feel. It's not rocket science or heart surgery but you should get paid decent to put up with all the drama and stress at a place where there shouldn't be that much drama or stress.
Target is a department store. People enter the store to buy crap and that's it. You're not saving lives. Just providing goods and services. That's it.

The stress is putting so many tasks and responsibilities on the shoulders of a small amount of people while expecting them to get those things done under ridiculous deadlines and times.

ETLs should worry less about red cards and getting their bonuses on stupid shite like store visits and watching payroll and give props to the heart and soul of the stores ie minions aka team members. Without team members, Target stores would not exist. Thank you.

I agree. A cart attendant who works for 20 years and never attempted to move up deserves 18$/hr[/not]

Most customers/guests love employees who have been there a long time. Many of them will shop a particular store because they know the staff so well. Return shoppers are priceless. That's what every retailer wants. An extra buck or two an hour to a veteran employee is chump change compared to the thousands upon thousands you get from repeat customers who come there in large part because they've come to count on those veteran employees. Businesses who get this kind of stuff are in that small percentile that excel at what they do. I'll just give one quick example: My dad was in a hurry one morning on the way to work. He absentmindedly locked his keys and phone in his car. He went in to the service desk, told them the situation and asked to use the phone to call a locksmith. He was told, don't worry, we'll call our locksmith. My dad then asked how much he would have to pay. The employee said there was no charge and they're sorry he had to start off the day like this. My dad was blown away. This wasn't a mom-and-pop store, this was a regional grocer. They now have a customer for life. Their biggest competitor, who they cream, doesn't offer this service because "they can't afford it." Actually, they can't afford not to. They kick ass in every market because they do stuff like this. They also have name tags that show how long an employee has been there for the reason that they retain employees for longer than the competition and make a point of holding onto people. They get it. And that's why they kick their competitor's ass, who looks at things like that as expenses rather than as opportunities.

Everybody is not meant to move up and that should be okay. If you are a kick ass cart attendant, like your job, and are reliable why should you want to move up? Thats bullshit. Thats part of the problem. Not everyone wants to be a team lead or should be a team lead. Maybe they are great at what they do, why should they be put down or penalized for that. We need to find the right people for the right position, treat them with respect, pay them accordingly and they will stay. The amount of money we pay to replace team members is ginormous. And lastly there are not many people that would do the job that cart attendants do for $15 per hour. Its an awful job. If you say otherwise you have never done it in -40 or 98.

Amen, signkitty. Speaking da truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back