Heading into peak season 2021

Ours is gonna be fun, I've been given no time to pull the IRs and clear the backroom for the last two months... Wheeeee!

Target chartered its own container ship to sidestep the global shipping crisis ahead of the holiday shopping season

So…… more freight, less TMs…

This-is-Fine-300x300.jpg

Target chartered its own container ship to sidestep the global shipping crisis ahead of the holiday shopping season

Hopefully, that means the DC will stop sending me product the week it goes off-POG, but I doubt it. Loved getting a bunch of BTC crap last week.

The truth hurts.

This is why as a trainer for new hires, here are my favorite four words to new hires: "It's not that bad."

Because... we don't want to hurt them yet.

That comes soon enough. *cough* Endless mandatory overtime. *cough*
We have had the opposite experience these past few months.
Due to how overstuffed we are, we are trying to explain to the newer people that it DOES get that bad so they have some sort of idea that the easy time really won't last like this forever lol.

The truth hurts.

This is why as a trainer for new hires, here are my favorite four words to new hires: "It's not that bad."

Because... we don't want to hurt them yet.

That comes soon enough. *cough* Endless mandatory overtime. *cough*

I tell em the facts. It's boring. It kinda sucks. You are treated like a slave by management at times (well, some people are anyway) (hope thats not un pc to say these days). It takes a certain kind of person to make it (one who doesnt mind being a drone). But on the positive side, pay/benefits is good for not having a degree, and you get tons of time off (either 4 or 3 day base week, with lots of vaca time). And they will work with you on school too. Another guy likes it because quote "you dont have to think at this job, you just come and do it, I think on my side hustle job". Not sure I agree but it's another good point. There are a lot of little benefits too. I can come in on saturday and take monday off if it's open, I'm a replacable cog among many. My brother OTOH has to get way in advance clearance at his job, and take at least a week vac at a time, because it's a big pain in the butt for him to be out. I like that.

Hopefully, that means the DC will stop sending me product the week it goes off-POG, but I doubt it. Loved getting a bunch of BTC crap last week.

Nope. That didn't happen. Got over 30 cases of clearance on the truck today. It's a couple of hundred eaches of fucking clearance. Thanks, assholes, but that shit is sitting in the back until it goes salvage. Like I have time to do anything else with it this time of year.

Nope. That didn't happen. Got over 30 cases of clearance on the truck today. It's a couple of hundred eaches of fucking clearance. Thanks, assholes, but that shit is sitting in the back until it goes salvage. Like I have time to do anything else with it this time of year.
Ya cause we decided to choose your store to send clearance to, just to piss you off. 🙄

Ya cause we decided to choose your store to send clearance to, just to piss you off. 🙄
Nobody is saying you did. Why the snarky comment. Its a freight flow issue and nobody wants clearance dumped on them. Spot needs to send it earlier and salvage it earlier so we can keep everything efficient. My kitchen dbos backroom is packed full just like his because we are stuck with a ton disco and clearance.

Nobody is saying you did. Why the snarky comment. Its a freight flow issue and nobody wants clearance dumped on them. Spot needs to send it earlier and salvage it earlier so we can keep everything efficient. My kitchen dbos backroom is packed full just like his because we are stuck with a ton disco and clearance.
Did you not see the previous messages? Lol but what I said is snarky 🤣

It’s so bad targets own food distribution center FDC cannot handle it. So we are going back to c&S. This is true and they expect us to push produce truck between 11 am and 4 pm the 3 weeks leading up to thanksgiving. Shit wish me luck

The assholes in my post, were not you in particular. It's the people at corporate who make decisions on what to send stores when. It's ridiculous. My backroom is packed. I have over a hundred cookie cutters that I currently need to backstock. I have nowhere to backstock them. Nowhere. They're just floating on a metro. This week all of my endcaps reset. Corporate didn't leave me an endcap for clearance. I'm rearranging to have a clearance endcap because I need it. But, I can only do so much. I can't find a place to fit a couple of hundred units of clearance. They're going to sit until they go salvage and head right on back to the DC. It's stupid.

Why should any of us have to waste our time with this? The DC had to load it. i had to yeet it into the steel and will have to eventually salvage it out. My store's receiver will have to palletize it, wrap it and put it back on a trailer. Then, you at the DC will have to do whatever the fuck it is you do with the salvage stores send you. It's stupid.

It needs to stop.

Last edited:
Yeah because what he said wasnt a comment about you. Unless you are the person who created whatever algorithm that decides who gets what.
I've often wondered about this. Been with Target long enough to have been the one to sort hardlines repacks and wonder why we're getting Halloween merch at Christmas time, to push shoes and wonder why we're getting a pile of the same size same color sandal in October (in a state that gets a lot of snow in the winter), to sort softlines and wonder why we're getting snow pants when all that snow is melting.
This is all pre-covid, before the supply chain got so messed up.
It's like someone somewhere says, "Ooh, it's this store's turn to receive a random load of stuff that's already gone clearance or salvage."

I've often wondered about this. Been with Target long enough to have been the one to sort hardlines repacks and wonder why we're getting Halloween merch at Christmas time, to push shoes and wonder why we're getting a pile of the same size same color sandal in October (in a state that gets a lot of snow in the winter), to sort softlines and wonder why we're getting snow pants when all that snow is melting.
It's like someone somewhere says, "Ooh, it's this store's turn to receive a random load of stuff that's already gone clearance or salvage."
I wish i knew the problems the dc faces because I could be more empathetic to the issues that it causes us daily. This whole modernization should of started with a major revamp of the dcs first. If it did it should of been a better one.

Many many many many many reasons it can happen.
One such example is our DC recently had additional bulk racking installed. Previously we had a mini 2 tier racking in its place. Instead of pulling and then finding places to put all of those items which could have taken dozens of hours, we just forced them through the system to get sent to stores.

Many many many many many reasons it can happen.
One such example is our DC recently had additional bulk racking installed. Previously we had a mini 2 tier racking in its place. Instead of pulling and then finding places to put all of those items which could have taken dozens of hours, we just forced them through the system to get sent to stores.

That just means that the stores all have to spend dozens of hours dealing with what you sent.

That just means that the stores all have to spend dozens of hours dealing with what you sent.
In this case it wasn't that many items and they were all one-ofs. An extra bag of dog food here, an extra case of tomato sauce there. So it really isn't that big a deal. It was just an example of how various factors can come into play.

Another example is a few years back a particular TV model/size wasn't selling for some reason. It had sat untouched in the warehouse for too long so we directly called every Store Director we serve and begged they take on extra tvs so we could get them out to have space to recieve the black Friday TVs that were soon coming.

Sometimes its your own upoer management doing it to you willingly 😁

Back