Isn’t this an ODD peak season

Anyone else wondering what’s going on? Through COVID, OT all the time, freight flow was super busy, never a dull moment, and now, BLEH. All my time here, I have never seen October so slow. This feels more like February/March. VLE just about all teams, every day. 401K circling the drain. Is this what KMART and SEARS were like towards the end?

Anyone else wondering what’s going on? Through COVID, OT all the time, freight flow was super busy, never a dull moment, and now, BLEH. All my time here, I have never seen October so slow. This feels more like February/March. VLE just about all teams, every day. 401K circling the drain. Is this what KMART and SEARS were like towards the end?
I feel bad but I sure am thankful because we are needing the time to recover and be ready for November december

Sure is. With the added Warehouse space we got from them moving FC's away from DC's we pretty much doubled our capacity. The amount of new lanes for new stores added this year 10+. The constant circle offers and other great deals we have yet nothing going on at the DC. Can't keep depal or the cage cart lines full even with 2 tuggers and carton floor staging their carts. They are actually not worried about productivity in a sense and want to maintain floor cleanliness on any aisle worked in. Stop and clean before you enter said aisle. Stop and clean when you leave said aisle. If you're up in the air and drop some garbage go down and pick it up. If someone cuts through your aisle and drops garbage you better stop and clean it. More SOM's more OM's PC and multiple leads all going in different directions instead of working together even though the same things need done every night.

With two month long black friday sales that started several weeks ago there wont be as much of a push for black friday in November as we are historically used to (very intentional I assume).
The stores already have plenty of product to sell through and the DCs are in a stable state having already dealt with the bulk of the inventory issues. Good cool down time for our supply chain to focus on things like safety which have plummeted as of late I hear.

With two month long black friday sales that started several weeks ago there wont be as much of a push for black friday in November as we are historically used to (very intentional I assume).
The stores already have plenty of product to sell through and the DCs are in a stable state having already dealt with the bulk of the inventory issues. Good cool down time for our supply chain to focus on things like safety which have plummeted as of late I hear.

Weird what happens when you don't care about the quality of people you hire and then implement a reward system for them to recommend their friends. Groups of idiots standing around another idiot on a machine and they get ran into.

Less freight? HALLELUJAH. Stores have been squawking for months and months about being bombarded. Hearing that the DCs are slow is nothing but great news as far as we are concerned.

Sears and Kmart died a very long, drawn-out death. Target is nowhere near it.

Less freight? HALLELUJAH. Stores have been squawking for months and months about being bombarded. Hearing that the DCs are slow is nothing but great news as far as we are concerned.

Sears and Kmart died a very long, drawn-out death. Target is nowhere near it.
Don’t get ahead of yourself. We’ve got a massive amount of Black Friday / Winter / Christmas to start unloading. My estimate is maybe one more week of this then the freight avalanche is coming

Lol not sure where you are located, but our dc is like 95% full, we carried over 70k labels yesterday and we are doing back to back days with ob doing 200k.

Don’t get ahead of yourself. We’ve got a massive amount of Black Friday / Winter / Christmas to start unloading. My estimate is maybe one more week of this then the freight avalanche is coming
Oh, please say it isn't true. I'm with @happygoth and it hasn't let up yet for my area. Got 2 cases of dental floss picks today when I usually get 1 or 2 of the pouches of 3 packages in my repacks. They'll sell but in the meantime, they're taking up a lot of waco space. And don't get me started on the mouthwash and cough syrup. Wacos are crowded but I do still have some space high up! My only hope is that my area doesn't get a lot of special stuff for Christmas (OTC and Personal Care). I feel sorry for the areas that do.

Oh, please say it isn't true. I'm with @happygoth and it hasn't let up yet for my area. Got 2 cases of dental floss picks today when I usually get 1 or 2 of the pouches of 3 packages in my repacks. They'll sell but in the meantime, they're taking up a lot of waco space. And don't get me started on the mouthwash and cough syrup. Wacos are crowded but I do still have some space high up! My only hope is that my area doesn't get a lot of special stuff for Christmas (OTC and Personal Care). I feel sorry for the areas that do.
Otc and personal care, mainly personal care, get christmas gift sets that go on the endcaps and some wintery hand soaps and stuff. The area does see an increase in volume but not as significant as the other big areas

Lol not sure where you are located, but our dc is like 95% full, we carried over 70k labels yesterday and we are doing back to back days with ob doing 200k.
Oof. I’m on A1 so I’m off till Saturday but our largest drop last week was like 70k with 40k carry over. Even with B keys getting behind we’re still barely breaking 100k and capacity is wrecking us

We are horrendous on capacity. We’ve lost our parking area to a bulk location. We’ve got bulk in the middle of a busy travel aisle. The amount of storage trailers we have full of Christmas alone is absurd.

One you can't compare COVID times with now. The pandemic helped sales due to the stimulus checks and the amount people were getting on unemployment. With all that going away things are now going back to "normal" times. Second look at your headcount. Pre Covid you probably had half the amount of team members than you do now so combine lower drops with higher headcounts and you get VLE. They could cut headcounts and put everyone back on budget but they dug a hole so deep on not holding anyone accountable that its getting hard to hold anyone accountable without HR holding you back. I say this come after Christmas headcounts in DCs will start going down because they are slowly going towards CPH and making sure they make money. This is based off what I have seen in my DC

How big is your team that's pushing 200k in ob? 2 doors per person?
No they’re probably just murdering their outbound team with freight. Pretty sure we couldn’t realistically push 200k even if both keys combined teams

Otc and personal care, mainly personal care, get christmas gift sets that go on the endcaps and some wintery hand soaps and stuff. The area does see an increase in volume but not as significant as the other big areas
Yes, I know. I set the lip balm and Tums end caps (the only holiday ones for OTC) and have done two of the six for Personal Care. My point though is that it's not like Toys or Electronics or Apparel or, worst of all imho, Seasonal. Over half our truck today was for Seasonal and Mini.
The increase I get at this time of year isn't that much compared to other areas. Yet, someone somewhere still seems to think I need even more mouthwash! Do they think Listerine is the latest hot Christmas gift? ;-)
It is good motivation to get my normally unused high up shelves cleared of junk I've stashed there to take care of "when I have time."

No they’re probably just murdering their outbound team with freight. Pretty sure we couldn’t realistically push 200k even if both keys combined teams
You'd have to have a strong mezz team to do it.

Yes that’s exactly what’s happening.. Amazon just taking over .. have you been to the stores lately? Less and less people, and I don’t blame them when the only 5 food aisles are always out of stock. The drive up option was a big plus but are dropping the ball there as well only staffing it with 1 store team member,
Just announced last week at our DC that will be removing the ICQA team and focusing more onboard training by making the trainers merit.. yes finally good bye ICQA!

Back