Archived Health Insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

pellinore

Life sucks and nothing good can come of it.
Are there any changes with this year's health insurance? I mean, is eligibility still at 30.5 hours to qualify?
Will we still have the same plan choices as last year? Same crummy deductibles?
Has the available hospitals being covered changing?

Anyone able to help?

According to obamacare, an employer has to offer it if you work 29.5 (30) hours. That is a change for 2015. Not sure what the actual guidelines are though. I think last year it was 31.5 (32) hours. The government only knows how to round up, so 29.5 equals 30 hours in their eyes..

I haven't heard anything else about target healthcare. I know last year, we didn't get the specifics until (I want to say, mid February and had to sign up by the last day of feb.).. I think it depends what state you are in for sign up..or am I thinking of another place I worked for?

I think the plan we had for 2014 was a great plan. Maybe because all my doctors accepted it.
Where are you going to get a plan with lower deductibles then 900.00 with a 500.00 incentive if you complete your medical info?
Any plan I have ever had to pay for has been between 3000-5000 deductible before anything is covered.

Last edited:
I was pleased with the coverage we had this past year . I had gone years and years and didn't have to use my health insurance ( thankfully) this past year I had to and was thankful I had it .

In our neck o' the woods, it ran about $117 per paycheck for TM + family.

I was told by a TL during my interview that my store doesn't hire full time, that he's been there 9 years and isn't full time. does corp keep TMs at low hours so they aren't eligible? If I did average 30 hours would i be given health insurance after a while even though I'm listed as part time? full time entry level min wage jobs don't seem to exist anymore.

Last edited:
I must have had a different insurance at my store....I had health issues and had to pay the first $2700 on my own. Then $2700-$5000 was partial insurance & partially me.
Once I reached $5000 the insurance picked it up. Getting to that $5000 was quite expensive!

I was told by a TL during my interview that my store doesn't hire full time, that he's been there 9 years and isn't full time. does corp keep TMs at low hours so they aren't eligible? If I did average 30 hours would i be given health insurance after a while even though I'm listed as part time? full time entry level min wage jobs don't seem to exist anymore.
For insurance they do a reading of your avg hours for Jan-Dec. so if you have avg hours of 29.5 for Jan-Dec 2014. You get insurance for 2015. (April 15-April 16)

Of course it's done on purpose.
Retail (or any service industry) prefers part-timers so they DON'T have to offer insurance & other bennies. Basically a page out of Walmart's playbook but a lot of retailers do it under the guise of having a 'transient' work force - ie: Millennials tend to job-hop a lot so it makes sense to have a larger pool of part-timers than depend on fewer full-timers.
In-depth training & experience have pretty much gone by the wayside so most positions are of the "McJobs" variety any way.

Of course it's done on purpose.
Retail (or any service industry) prefers part-timers so they DON'T have to offer insurance & other bennies. Basically a page out of Walmart's playbook but a lot of retailers do it under the guise of having a 'transient' work force - ie: Millennials tend to job-hop a lot so it makes sense to have a larger pool of part-timers than depend on fewer full-timers.
In-depth training & experience have pretty much gone by the wayside so most positions are of the "McJobs" variety any way.
Yes, I was told most TMs get 20 hours a week unless they take over someones shift. I worked for a small business for many years, my only retail job being Eckerds (turned into Rite Aid after I left) when I was a teenager, and things have changed mainly that there is almost no full time, you aren't just a cashier or a stock person you are a store associate or team member and have much more going on (cheaper for the company but not efficient in my opinion). But back to topic, I will just try to pick up shifts to get that 30 hour mark and hope that is a loophole around this, the cashiers are the majority of the ones who want shifts picked up at my store so it works out for me.

If you're wily enough, you can build up hrs right under their noses. Take it from the Flo Ho.
Like others have said before: keep your phone on & a change of red/khaki in the car, if they ask you to come in early & you're able - say yes, likewise if you can stay later, take any op to learn new areas no matter how ignoble they are (sometimes that's the only area with hrs to burn), ALWAYS answer your phone even if you have to decline, be dependable (the TM that everyone fights over).

I didn't realize you were new and didn't know about the sarcasm font yet. My apologies.
It's alright, I figured you were being sarcastic but wasn't sure :)

I will look into picking up hours once I'm fully trained, I do get paid much less here than my prior job though so I might qualify for medicaid which I didn't before once I move back to NY where they allow adults without children to apply so I have that as a second option just in case.

Last edited:
Fully trained.. Those are funny words..
My training...
Pink, we had a call out at guest services, you need to cover and also close..I'll give you numbers to accept payments.. Do you know how to do crc's.. Me - do what? What kind of payments.. OMG I'm lost..
The night flew by, even though I had knots in my stomach..
A month later.. Pink, bring theses training papers to guest services and have Susan (person at guest services) complete them.

Pink - we had a callout at food ave, can you cover for 4 ours until the next person comes in? Me- how do I make things? I prayed guests only wanted a soft drink..

GSA training was even less extensive..

I'm rather eager to see what changes will come with this year's health insurance. 2014 plans were extremely limiting in in-network doctors. The nearest urgent care or emergency room were nearly 30 miles from the store despite having one a couple miles and (as far as i know) four others less than 12 miles away.

I will say one place we are different is our full time employee count. In the last 2+ years we have dropped employee numbers by roughly 20% while our store is consistently growing business. The global versatility is higher than it used to be and you can see that in the amount of hours individuals are getting this January as opposed to two January's ago.

Is there a required amount of time besides just average hours? I was hired on as seasonal in November and stayed on and have been averaging about 32 hours according to the paystubs. Would I still qualify?

Is there a required amount of time besides just average hours? I was hired on as seasonal in November and stayed on and have been averaging about 32 hours according to the paystubs. Would I still qualify?
You need to work for Target for 1 year to qualify. If you avg 29.5 hours after your 1 year hire date you have 30 days to enroll in insurance. After your one year your hours are averaged Jan-Dec. and open enrollment is in Feb. Targets insurance goes From April-March.

You need to work for Target for 1 year to qualify. If you avg 29.5 hours after your 1 year hire date you have 30 days to enroll in insurance. After your one year your hours are averaged Jan-Dec. and open enrollment is in Feb. Targets insurance goes From April-March.

This may not be right any more with the ACA. I think there is a shorter wait period that would allow you to jump on at a different time than open enrollment, but I am not sure what that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back