Archived Heat Exhaustion

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a no drinks policy. But I have an LOD that apparently can't work without a Starbucks cup within arms reach. I legit never see them without a coffee. And they just leave them wherever. To the point where it pisses off other LODs...
And I almost passed out twice working in my FR because of where it's located by the back room, and how ridiculously gross and muggy our store get when it even sprinkles a bit. One of our closing LODs even got sick from it once, so it clearly wasn't just a me issue. So, I made it a point to talk to my etl-hr. We had a fan requestioned by my next shift & I was given "permission" to have closed container water, so long as it was kept out of sight ( a la keep it in the closet).

I also was given permission basically when I worked for a week and a half straight with a death cold during holidays. Because if I didn't have liquid, I'd basically be unable to breathe as soon as I started busting my butt && get hot during stocking. So it was easier to let me keep water with me, instead of letting me stop to get a drink from a fountain every five minutes, But I also didn't try to be a pain about it/ take advantage, make it noticeable or leave a mess.

When I worked backroom, the ETL's would req out a few cases of water for BR/REC/Overnight teams and keep them in the walk-in. Steritech never said anything. Things at the DC are totally different. There is no effective AC (or heating in the winter, for that fact), due to the sheer size of the buildings. GL's pretty much require us to have a water bottle on us at all times during the summer. Even still, we get a person or two each week that has to be taken out by an ambulance for dehydration/heat exhaustion.

For all that it's gruelling unloading the trailers you guys must have it worse loading them.

When I worked backroom, the ETL's would req out a few cases of water for BR/REC/Overnight teams and keep them in the walk-in. Steritech never said anything. Things at the DC are totally different. There is no effective AC (or heating in the winter, for that fact), due to the sheer size of the buildings. GL's pretty much require us to have a water bottle on us at all times during the summer. Even still, we get a person or two each week that has to be taken out by an ambulance for dehydration/heat exhaustion.

Every week? I'm surprised your leaders aren't forcing you to drink more water at this point.

Every week? I'm surprised your leaders aren't forcing you to drink more water at this point.
They are, to a degree. It's been a start-up announcement to keep hydrated for a few months now. The break rooms have big tubs of req'd out water. But some people just get so caught up in trying to make production numbers that either forget or don't care til it's to late.

They are, to a degree. It's been a start-up announcement to keep hydrated for a few months now. The break rooms have big tubs of req'd out water. But some people just get so caught up in trying to make production numbers that either forget or don't care til it's to late.

Which is why I'm surprised they don't have a couple of leads going around and making sure you down a bottle periodically in addition to having water available. Having 1-2 people carted to the emergency room every week is beyond unacceptable.

I don't feel that cool breeze from Men's wear every time the double doors open into bulk side. I would die though if we didn't have fans!

At Starbucks, we're penned in a 3'x9' rat run in close proximity of hot machinery.
When one of us escapes for a bit, we run to the walk-in to cool down.
We also have ice water cups stashed at every turn.

Our TFC/offices/breakroom area is awful. At the front of the building with frosted glass for the front wall, which gets hit with the midday sun and bakes everyone. Salesfloor gets bad, too, especially in the early AM. I carry a SB ice water with me, and have never been told to throw it away--especially since our STL and ETLs walk the store every morning with coffee, etc. Our Flow TL also passes out water or Gatorade to his team after every truck unload.

Kartman they are all over the store usually mounted to a colum or wall they will either be grey or white And will say rtu and then a number. Easy way to find them it look at the ceiling and find the vent Then look. Few feet in either direction and you will spot it

Could you maybe post a picture? ;)

If your store is newer you will most likely have the first one. And depending on the store the second one I'll either be painted grey red or beige

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    13.6 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    22.7 KB · Views: 27
I would look suspicious standing there, holding a cup of hot water...

I would look suspicious standing there, holding a cup of hot water...
Some times your lucky and there's a shelf nearby. In our food ave its located right above our metro rack for storage so we put 2 boxes on top of each other then the cup

Don't forget to factor in the heatsink value of the asphalt. At least a 15, probably 20 degree increase.

We just got a new STL. She seems to love to micro-manage everything. She's made it clear that NO ONE is allowed to have water or any other beverage with them. TMs will be permitted water only if they have a note from their doctor that says that they must have water when they work.

I'd love it, if in the next two weeks a ton of TMs come to work with water notes from their doctors....hmmm...STL doesn't seem to have mentioned WHAT kind of doctor the note must be from. Perhaps a dentist or a veterinarian? Or someone with a PhD.??? Or I wonder what she'd say if someone came in with a note from an attorney?

Hey, this sure has me thinking of ideas......

You guys think it's hot in the store come take a day at the dc, it's nothing for it to reach upper 90's and even low 100's inside all we have are fans blowing hot air around the whole building lol although we are allowed to have water with us but that's it on the floor no Gatorade etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back