Hell on Earth: Starbucks Cronicles

To whom this may concern,

***if quick reading, you can skip to each set of asterisks for a summed down version***

Let me start off with a little background history. Hired 4 months ago. Applied for cashier but was “recommended” for Starbucks. Little did I know what I was getting myself into.
After getting hired, trained at different store for 3 DAYS, that is one of each shift. Went beautiful except for only being 3 days. My first day at my store was me closing with the other new guy I trained with. Mind you how little training I got unless this is the normal amount. I DID KNOW WHERE ANYTHING WAS AND DIDNT REMEMBER WHAT TO DO. So as more time progressed I learned stuff to get me by. What I did not learn was ALL THE CLEANING AND NECESSARY ACTS THAT IM SUPPOSEY SUPPOSED TO BE DOING WHEN IVE BEEN WORKING THERE FOR 4 MONTHS.
After this visit from our DM, I’m supposed to magically know all the stuff I was supposed to be trained for. Apparently there’s supposed to be trading videos and books but all I leaned was how to make drinks and pull pastries.
**Back to my original reason for this post, I want to transfer to the store I trained at and was denied. Also, turns out I was recommended for Starbucks because of desperation. Apparently before I came half the team quit. I try to make the most of what I’m given but if I’m not trained properly or told important info what more can I do. So, I’m denied transfer because my HR leader and store leader decided they are rejecting transfers until Starbucks is up to standards. WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO SUDDEN GAIN ALL KNOWLEDGE OF STARBUCKS AND DO EVERYONES WORK WHO DOESNT KNOW WHAT THEYRE DOING EITHER.
***So my original original reason is I’m going to call corporate and complain about the Starbucks franchise and management and how unethical it is for my store to deny my transfer.
Is this the right action to take?????
Honestly it’s the best I can think of, the whole store is of no help.

Spot can denied transfers to another store, per your home store business needs. Plus, you have been only at spot 4 months & have no real history, like reviews, etc.

So, your big complaint is that you didn't get training, and you want to go back to the store that didn't train you properly?
Nothing unethical here. You interviewed for a job. They offered Starbucks. You accepted. There is no obligation to transfer you, nor is there an obligation for another store to accept your transfer. If this is a job you need, I would suggest speaking to your leaders. Explain that you realize the situation your Sbux is in, and ask for some more training so you can help get things back where they should be. If you don't need this job, quit.

The spot only cares about themselves. I had something similar happen. Calling corporate will do nothing except get your hours cut. The won't transfer someone who knows shit. The unethical spot won't care about you. Go ahead and look for another job and quit.

So, your big complaint is that you didn't get training, and you want to go back to the store that didn't train you properly?
Nothing unethical here. You interviewed for a job. They offered Starbucks. You accepted. There is no obligation to transfer you, nor is there an obligation for another store to accept your transfer. If this is a job you need, I would suggest speaking to your leaders. Explain that you realize the situation your Sbux is in, and ask for some more training so you can help get things back where they should be. If you don't need this job, quit.
I have voiced my opinion on training to my store and they did nothing. The good store I trained at did everything they could with 3
days. Don’t get me wrong, I love Target it’s the store I work at. How could they reject my transfer because their extension isn’t doing well. I live about a 25 minute drive from the store and because I find an apartment 5 mins away from the good store and I wanna transfer there for an easier drive, doesn’t mean they should deny my request because “Starbucks in not up to standards”.

You can always quit and reapply at the other store in 3 months-ish?

Talk to the TL or ETL over your area about getting a copy of the Starbucks daily routine checklist.
It's a bullet-point list going from open to close about duties setting up, mid-day tasks & closing break-down/next day's prep.
It's a start.

Why would another store want to take you?

Think about it that way. You're coming from a store where the team doesn't follow proper processes or procedures. You likely will need more training to break bad habits. If you call the ethics hotline, you're a known complainer that will blow up situations (from the perspective of your leader).

Stop complaining, and make sure the leaders want to come to Starbucks when you are in. Be someone they enjoy chatting with. Keep it clean, do your job well, and have a good attitude. Show up for your shifts. Pick up shifts, and stay cheerful.

That's how to get what you want.

You have an opportunity in a way. You can get the training by hook or by crook (I recommend a neck crook- baa boom tish shepherd’s joke) and try to turn things around. You have nowhere to go but up or out the door.

@Yetive it is unethical when they knowingly and probably deliberately set people up to fail by not training them, put them in a place where there isnt anyone with seniority that can mentor because they don't want to keep anyone, and then let district level wrath fall on that person's head for not knowing the denied teaching.

What if Starbucks corporate is called about the denied training for months? If no coverage can get licensing yanked, what about leadership not bothering to train about cleaning procedures?

Yeah I have to say, if there is one area where folks need real training, it's food prep and service. It doesn't instill much confidence to think that those doing the nightly cleanup and daily prep may not be properly trained in sanitation and cross-contamination prevention.

Yeah I have to say, if there is one area where folks need real training, it's food prep and service. It doesn't instill much confidence to think that those doing the nightly cleanup and daily prep may not be properly trained in sanitation and cross-contamination prevention.
So the three hours of training that I got before being left completely alone for two hours was not enough?

Back