Hello everyone I just got the position as a seasonal cashier at target! Any tips on how I can make it into a permanent position?

Hello everyone I just got the position as a seasonal cashier at target! Any tips on how I can make it into a permanent position? I really want to know what are the tips and strategies on how I could make it into a permanent position.

Never be rude or arguementiv to the guest (even though some will deserve it) always know when you have to take a 30 minute meal ( going into compliance while on the 90 day is an automatic let go.) Be willing to learn guest services and become familiar with the target app. Lots of guest don't know how to use it and if they don't want to download it just tell them that as long as you scan the bar code it will keep a copy of their receipt... that usually will sell them on it. But other than that enjoy its a great pt job

Never be rude or arguementiv to the guest (even though some will deserve it) always know when you have to take a 30 minute meal ( going into compliance while on the 90 day is an automatic let go.) Be willing to learn guest services and become familiar with the target app. Lots of guest don't know how to use it and if they don't want to download it just tell them that as long as you scan the bar code it will keep a copy of their receipt... that usually will sell them on it. But other than that enjoy its a great pt job

Not to say meal compliance is no big deal, but I don't buy into the notion that anything is an "automatic" termination that isn't like, super crazy. They might let someone go and tell them that's why, but it's not. If they wanted to keep the person despite that, they would.

I did much worse than a meal compliance while seasonal my second time working at Target, but was still kept, while I witnessed other people let go and saw them be told that something trivial like calling off once was an automatic termination.

If you're a good employee, small things like that don't help, but aren't automatic terminations. If you're not a great employee, they look for reasons/excuses to let you go.

In addition to what others have said about being on time/not calling out, etc., volunteer to learn other work centers. SFS/OPU, in particular, tend to pull from other areas during Q4 (at least at my store). If things are slow offer to zone or help with reshop. The more versatile you can show yourself to be, the more likely you'll be kept on.

In addition to what others have said about being on time/not calling out, etc., volunteer to learn other work centers. SFS/OPU, in particular, tend to pull from other areas during Q4 (at least at my store). If things are slow offer to zone or help with reshop. The more versatile you can show yourself to be, the more likely you'll be kept on.

Pushing reshop is about the only thing I see front end TM's doing often at my store at least. I do pick up SFS/OPU shifts off the swap-board, but only once ever have I been pulled from the front to do Fulfillment tasks when actually scheduled as front-end, and no one else from our front end is even trained on flex.

Attendance: don't be late or call out
Knowledge: Learn what you can do to "Make it Right" for guest and what your SETL expects through your shifts
Loyalty: Just setting a goal to get a RedCard a week and talking up the App will make you a favorite, getting great guest comments are GREAT too
Annoyance: Don't be pushy with what you think should happen, just do it! and don't be someone who's always needing HR to help cover a scheduled shift.

Do all that in a year you'll be a go to TM and someone with enough repour they may think of you as potential to move up

If a cashier hits meal compliance, it is the supervisor's fault. Someone is managing their breaks and telling them when to go.

I'm repeating it because it is the most important thing - be on time and show up for work. Obviously if you are legit sick, call out, but don't get sick LOL!

Be a yes person that means staying late or coming in early. If you say no to shift it means your less likely to keep the job. Good luck the job is hard work and the guests and bosses can be real hard asses. Hopefully you have thick skin.

1. Be reliable- dont show up late, dont call out, come in early, stay late, or come in on your day off if asked as much as possible.
2. An eagerness to learn- focus on learning your workcenter as much as possible first, once you feel comfident in your abilitities, ask to learn other areas probably something up front in your case, maybe your store needs starbucks help, guest service is behind sorting reshop because there has been a lot of driveups, push giftcards or reshop, fold softlines near the checklanes, whatever you can get.
3. Availability- if your availability is limited then you lose options, not much you can change if its neccessary but just know it limits your options
4. Be friendly with guests- if you can turn a guests bad experience into a good experience it will be noticed
5. I feel like this is common sense but just be the person that they would want to be around everyday.

Be proactive about the things people have mentioned! That's what really sticks out to me. If it's quiet and there are enough cashiers, ask an SETL if they want you to do reshop. Back up at SCO or the service desk if you see there's a red light or a line. If you're grabbing receipt paper or bags or something, grab some for others. People problem solving before I've even noticed there's an issue or assigned anyone to it really jumps out at me with my front end team.

Realize that some of it may be outside of your control. You can only do your best. Some years any seasonal who wanted to stay got to stay because enough positions were open. Other years most seasonals were let go even some really great ones. Even if you make it through you will need to manage your finances knowing that January and February can be very lean months in terms of hours even if you were getting 30+ hours in November and December.

Don't ever be late.
Accept extra shifts when offered and agree to stay late if asked.
Always show up in a complete uniform with a name tag.
Get 1 Red Card per 4 hour shift (I averaged 2-4 per 8 hour shift. just ask everyone in your lane. One shift I got 10 or 11 - I don't recall exactly).
Don't steal.

Do these 5 things, and you will be better than 95% of the seasonal TM's that are working there.

Just sign up tons of RedCards. That's really all they want. I hate to say it but you can be phenomenal as a cashier but unless you get a lot of RedCards your job isn't secure.

Just get RedCards

Realize that some of it may be outside of your control. You can only do your best. Some years any seasonal who wanted to stay got to stay because enough positions were open. Other years most seasonals were let go even some really great ones. Even if you make it through you will need to manage your finances knowing that January and February can be very lean months in terms of hours even if you were getting 30+ hours in November and December.
Although i dont make decisions up front, i dont see many cashiers staying on beyond the seasonal mark after Christmas because the hours in that area are almost nothing. Perhaps more seasoned fos tms can confirm but you have to be exceptional in my opinion to have chance, like used to be sane said just do the best you can and hope for the best.

have a good attitude (as an employee and with guests)

have open availability or at least closing availability.

be willing to cross-train. Or for that matter be willing to do anything.

don’t take it personal if you don’t get offered a permanent position. It happens to plenty of good people.
2 employees in my family/friend sphere that started out seasonal and stayed on permanently...

One was in flex. Did a good job, but the big winner was that he could close. Everyone hates closing shifts. Be a closer.

The other was a cashier. Had a good attitude, quick learner, but was let go. Just couldn’t keep all the cashiers after seasonal. However, she was called back during Corona when we needed more employees. Now she’s a permanent cashier with good hours.

note... hours will be terrible after January. You will have to make your own magic and hustle to pick up shifts on Kronos. If you’re front end, learning Service Desk will also help. Shoppers in December are at the returns desk in January

Although i dont make decisions up front, i dont see many cashiers staying on beyond the seasonal mark after Christmas because the hours in that area are almost nothing. Perhaps more seasoned fos tms can confirm but you have to be exceptional in my opinion to have chance, like used to be sane said just do the best you can and hope for the best.

It just depends on the needs. After Xmas 2018, we kept 2. After 2019, we kept like 20. We were down a lot of regular people and drive up became a thing. If you are kept on, don't expect a lot of hours in January or Feb.

Back