Archived Hello, would you like...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pelon1071

Front End Academy Trainer (Walmart)
Man, today our store wanted us to tell our guest about everything from cartwheel, to the 15% OFF!
So an interaction went something like this.

Me: Hello, Did you find everything you needed?
Guest: Yea, ok.
Me: Would you like to purchase bags?
Guest: Yes or No.
Me. Ok, just to let you know today we are having 15% off your total with some restrictions as listed below and you could also save more money by using our free Cartwheel app from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store and you can save an extra 5% if you sign-up for a Target REDCard are you interested in signing up for a Target REDCard today?
Guest: :confused:

rinse and repeat.
My throat and voice were dead by the end of my shift.

If they're going to make you guys do this crap, it should be enforced company-wide. While you were saying all that at your store, the cashier ringing me at my local Spot didn't say hello, much less mention the 15% off, Cartwheel or REDcard. I even had to remind her to scan my reusable bag discount.

Seems like with how long the lines get that this can be a very nerve wrecking task to ask them all these questions and make them hold up 8 other guests waiting to check out..If it were me, id be in a hurry to get out just out of politeness to the next person in line...

"Hi did you find everything alright today?" (yes/no, if no ask them "Is it something I can help you find?") "Any coupons or cartwheel today?" (yes/no/what's cart wheel? "Cartwheel is our smartphone coupon app, it has a lot of coupons on it ranging from 5 to 50% off, a lot of guests like it because it's right in your pocket") "And your total is $x.xx after cartwheel and coupons, would you like to save 5% by signing up for our redcard today?"

That's my go to script.

Hi did you find everything alright today?" (yes/no, if no ask them "Is it something I can help you find?") "

See, we are trained not to ask this. Are you really going to leave your line to help them find something? You do not have a walkie so you would be hitting up an already busy GSA to find something for someone probably ready to leave the store.

See, we are trained not to ask this. Are you really going to leave your line to help them find something? You do not have a walkie so you would be hitting up an already busy GSA to find something for someone probably ready to leave the store.
I ask almost the same thing but i know I cant leave my lane so I give an "Im so sorry about that". If they seem like they really wanted / needed it I let them know that guest service can help them find out if we carry/ have in stock whatever item their looking for.

We have an elderly cashier who is kind of sweet but also kind of crazy- you can never get away from her...she literally yells out to guests as they're leaving the store "you have a great day, come back to see me and when you do.....yadda yadda yadda"

Anyways, I was putting a flex order up this morning and I could hear her talking to a guest about an item we didn't seem to have. She came over to the servce desk looking for a "scanny thing that will look it up" At this point the guest was telling her it was really fine, but she kept insisting.

I keep my head down, hoping she won't notice me/my PDA, but of course I had to scan it in to location, so AS SOON as it beeped she told the guest "ohhhh, tell Taylor what you're looking for. She'll look it up for you and tell you if other stores have it, etc etc"

The guest looked annoyed. I did a quick search to appease our cashier, but I honestly don't think the guest really cared- she just wanted to get away from our crazy cashier! :rolleyes:

There's a difference between being polite/helpful and totally overbearing!

Yeah I heard that. I've gotten into such a habit of saying it and 90% of the time they say no, they asked someone and we either simply don't carry the item or it's out of stock (in which case I remind them about target.com blah blah blah). I'm also cross trained enough to know where most thngs are and I'm usually guest service so I have a walkie.

Yeah I heard that. I've gotten into such a habit of saying it and 90% of the time they say no, they asked someone and we either simply don't carry the item or it's out of stock (in which case I remind them about target.com blah blah blah). I'm also cross trained enough to know where most thngs are and I'm usually guest service so I have a walkie.

Thats good I remember when I would ask and people said no. I felt awkward especially when it was something we dont carry.

It makes me look bad, but I don't bring up the redcard all that often. I've grown to know who's going to be happy and talkative and those who just want to get the hell out of there. I'll do it if the GSA or a TL/LOD are nearby though.

You do not have a walkie...

But I think we should, I can't count how many times I had a quick question, only to have the GSTL or someone else not see my light for like 5 minutes, and having the guest be like "fuck this shit, I'm leaving!" (Someone actually told me that.) waiting for someone to come over for such a long time makes me feel vary uncomfortable.

Last edited:
I ask almost the same thing but i know I cant leave my lane so I give an "Im so sorry about that". If they seem like they really wanted / needed it I let them know that guest service can help them find out if we carry/ have in stock whatever item their looking for.
Often we only have one person at GS and do not have the time to check if we have something in stock. It would be more helpful if a GSA/GSTL could look it up or ask someone on the floor. Then again, GSA/GSTL does not have the time, much less a MyDevice. I had a line to the door many times today and looking up and item and to track it down takes too much time.

But I think we should, I can't count how many times I had a quick question, only to have the GSTL or someone else not see my light for like 5 minutes, and having the guest be like "fuck this shit, I'm leaving!" (Someone actually told me that.) waiting for someone to come over for such a long time makes me feel vary uncomfortable.

Oh I dont disagree, as it stands we are so equipment starved we have sales floor tms who dont have a walkie. Makes the idea of a cashier getting one even more farfetched.

Does the phone still work through the walkie? I know with the old system, you could use the phone as a walkie on the lanes.

Does the phone still work through the walkie? I know with the old system, you could use the phone as a walkie on the lanes.
I have no idea, but based on how they seem to have not been touched in a long time, my guess is no.

IMHO once the guest is checking out they are ready to leave. Starting a bug hunt for item X at that point isn't practical. A staffed, equipped sales floor however...

Often we only have one person at GS and do not have the time to check if we have something in stock. It would be more helpful if a GSA/GSTL could look it up or ask someone on the floor. Then again, GSA/GSTL does not have the time, much less a MyDevice. I had a line to the door many times today and looking up and item and to track it down takes too much time.
I mostly do it to sound helpful honestly cuz I know it'll end up two ways. 1. GS is empty and they might stop and ask (Sometimes even then they dont want to) or 2. They see the line there and decide its not worth it lol

It makes me look bad, but I don't bring up the redcard all that often. I've grown to know who's going to be happy and talkative and those who just want to get the hell out of there. I'll do it if the GSA or a TL/LOD are nearby though.
I have the longest Redcard speech for those that I think are either interested or talkative. I have a shortened version for those who look like they dont want to be there. Im pretty sure my rc numbers are too low for me not to ask xD

I have the longest Redcard speech for those that I think are either interested or talkative. I have a shortened version for those who look like they dont want to be there. Im pretty sure my rc numbers are too low for me not to ask xD
My rc count probably doesn't matter too much seeing as I'm mainly hardlines. I've got a few of them but not many.

My rc count probably doesn't matter too much seeing as I'm mainly hardlines. I've got a few of them but not many.
Yeah then I get that. Im a seasonal so if I want to be kept I want a good rc count (at least better than the other seasonals lol) also to be cross trained I need it as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back