Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
They kept very few people after seasonal. So if that doesn’t fucking tell you something, then I don’t know what does. Literally I’m just asking if being scheduled on the weekend meant you’re a bad worker. I don’t have a problem working that time. IM JUST WORRIED IS ALL.
In my store everyone gets weekends at least occasionally, unless they somehow managed to get weekends off per their availability. In retail, weekends are key, and honestly, TMs who can't work them are kind of a pain. Regardless why you were scheduled, just go in and do your best, like I said before, that's all you can do. In my store, it doesn't mean you are a bad worker. In fact, often it means that you are someone they trust as reliable to actually show up and at least attempt to get the job done.

And I said that workplace rumors are often not true, and that people who spread bad rumors are spreading them about everyone for everything. So you got a helpful response.

And if mental illness is an issue, then you should doubly listen shut mouth and open ears to others, pop on over to the mental illness thread and see how many (most) people here know exactly where you're coming from.

In my store everyone gets weekends at least occasionally, unless they somehow managed to get weekends off per their availability. In retail, weekends are key, and honestly, TMs who can't work them are kind of a pain. Regardless why you were scheduled, just go in and do your best, like I said before, that's all you can do. In my store, it doesn't mean you are a bad worker. In fact, often it means that you are someone they trust as reliable to actually show up and at least attempt to get the job done.
Thank you, and I’m trying my best. I developed severe anxiety when my sister died last october so I appreciate the sympathy.

Honestly don’t be worried. I close m-f, and they literally schedule the worst of the worst week nights. They aren’t all bad, but some of them just don’t care. It’s pretty clear you care about this job, so that’s really the important part. I also haven’t worked a weekend in almost three months, but I know they are much more fast paced than week nights are. I’ve never done unload before either, but it seems intense to me. I give mad props to anyone that does it. In my opinion only the best of the best work the weekends. Those are the true heroes here.

Thank you, and I’m trying my best. I developed severe anxiety when my sister died last october so I appreciate the sympathy.
No problem, very sorry for your loss! Hang in there, I know it sounds like a cliche but things will get better.

Weekends are meant for everyone. Unless they are the receiver or PML, of course. Weekends are the busiest times with the most guest traffic and most work to be completed. That’s when All Stars are used. Lazy TMs are meant for Tuesday afternoons when nothing is happening. Consider yourself a good worker who has proven they can handle some hustle!

So setting a huge baby food pog by myself on Tuesday, getting it done under time, and also helping pull a few OPU's is "Tuesday afternoons when nothing is happening."? Really? I don't make my schedule. Should I ask to set the largest pogs on the weekends so I'll be an all star?

You're oversimplifying there.

Wow. What wisdom. It’s been my experience over the years that such adults who claim to offer this have none. Cynicism is not insight. All I’ve seen you do is talk down to a seemingly conscientious young worker who cares about doing a good job and being seen as such.

Immaturity would be not giving a sh*t and slagging the whole gig off. Or being an arse to people.
@happygoth, I offered some good advice in post #8. Other people have also given wisdom. And the OP has responded to all of it with snark and insult and acting spoiled.

Last edited:
Immaturity is also wishful thinking ("I want it this way so there has to be something that will make it that way"). Immaturity is also the high school gathering and rumor mongering groups that have no purpose in the real world but someone clings tightly to that model.

With teens/young adults there's a time where advice and explanation and social role play ends and calling them out on their nonsense begins. Every response I saw was wishful to be bad thinking and refusal to consider the rumor likely was wrong.

Wishful thinking? The ability to question the status quo is an important aspect of critical thinking. We wouldn’t have a lot of progress if people just accepted things the way they are. But I don’t think the OP was engaged in that. It seems liked you projected much of your ideas onto that.

High school gathering and rumor groups? People are social, regardless of age. I don’t think the OP was subscribing to this. They were getting bad info from someone. That can happen to anyone regardless of age. Perhaps you tried to offer some age-appropriate advice for social interactions, but you weren’t successful. Clarity in communication always helps. OP asked you to clarify a few times and you seemed to take offense to it. Be aware that what seems obvious to you doesn’t always come across as such in communication to others. Word choices matter.

Immaturity is also wishful thinking ("I want it this way so there has to be something that will make it that way"). Immaturity is also the high school gathering and rumor mongering groups that have no purpose in the real world but someone clings tightly to that model.

With teens/young adults there's a time where advice and explanation and social role play ends and calling them out on their nonsense begins. Every response I saw was wishful to be bad thinking and refusal to consider the rumor likely was wrong.

Wishful thinking? The ability to question the status quo is an important aspect of critical thinking. We wouldn’t have a lot of progress if people just accepted things the way they are. But I don’t think the OP was engaged in that. It seems liked you projected much of your ideas onto that.

High school gathering and rumor groups? People are social, regardless of age. I don’t think the OP was subscribing to this. They were getting bad info from someone. That can happen to anyone regardless of age. Perhaps you tried to offer some age-appropriate advice for social interactions, but you weren’t successful. Clarity in communication always helps. OP asked you to clarify a few times and you seemed to take offense to it. Be aware that what seems obvious to you doesn’t always come across as such in communication to others. Word choices matter.
You have a great deal of right in your words. The OP is clearly young, I talked to her the way I've talked to my daughter about her job struggles, giving advice to help out, and I reacted to lip the same way.

There's a difference between critical thinking and wishful thinking. Wishful thinking is wanting something not possible to be possible. Such as wanting the weekend crew to be bad so reality adheres to rumor and rejecting or ignoring anyone that says "likely not so" or "don't prejudge from rumor". The OP has started a second thread asking the exact same thing, rejecting or ignoring everyone else's advice on this thread, so clearly wanting to wish the situation bad so her source isn't wrong.

You have a great deal of right in your words. The OP is clearly young, I talked to her the way I've talked to my daughter about her job struggles, giving advice to help out, and I reacted to lip the same way.

There's a difference between critical thinking and wishful thinking. Wishful thinking is wanting something not possible to be possible. Such as wanting the weekend crew to be bad so reality adheres to rumor and rejecting or ignoring anyone that says "likely not so" or "don't prejudge from rumor". The OP has started a second thread asking the exact same thing, rejecting or ignoring everyone else's advice on this thread, so clearly wanting to wish the situation bad so her source isn't wrong.
I started a second thread because I am avoiding people like you “like i said in the message.” I have tried to defend myself but clearly I’m just wasting my time. I will communicate with people here that have shown me I can trust them. Good day.

So setting a huge baby food pog by myself on Tuesday, getting it done under time, and also helping pull a few OPU's is "Tuesday afternoons when nothing is happening."? Really? I don't make my schedule. Should I ask to set the largest pogs on the weekends so I'll be an all star?

You're oversimplifying there.
Maybe they wanted you setting that POG on a Tuesday afternoon since it’s a relatively quiet time as far as guest traffic goes? Perhaps helping you work with minimal disruption? We both know that was the case and comparing apples to oranges isn’t helping the OP get the answers they need.

I would never intentionally disrespect anyone or the work they do and if I offended you I am truly sorry. I was putting out a light traffic time to compare against a heavy traffic time with the only intention being an obvious comparison.

@kittykat99 I thought about your weekend coming up again and I’m not sure why I didn’t think of this the first time around, but they’re probably using you to cover a vacation for someone else. If you’re available and know the position that is very likely what happened. As far as being considered a bad worker because you don’t stay after your scheduled time that’s total bull. Maybe your Team thinks that if they have to help other departments after they’re done that anyone who doesn’t stay isn’t being a team player. That’s someone on your team having a crappy attitude. Most people only stay as late as they’re scheduled.

This is getting annoying.

Can we have one thread where people don't spend most of their time sniping at each other?

I don't expect people to magically get along but I do expect them to act like adults.

Closing this down and warning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back