Archived Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
so I started my orenyation today @ target my position is cashier. I recieved my training schedule for the next two weeks I'm only working three days and I'm full time... Should I worry just yet that I don't have much hours just yet

It depends what kind of hours they can give out for training. Once you're trained in other areas you should get more hours, or you can at least pick up shifts.

Only people getting FT hrs are team leads or TMs in specialized areas.
As the season rolls on & hrs go up, you might get scheduled more.
Tips to make you a star:
-take advantage of learning other areas as you get settled in; learning more areas makes you 'global' & leads to more hrs because you'll be able to pick up shifts in depts. outside your own.
-if the store calls, ANSWER. They may be calling you in to replace a call-out. Even if you can't do it, answer & be honest. You'll go to the top of their A-list.
-get there early. If they're slammed, they may clock you in early. If they ask you to stay later on a busy day, do it if you can.
Do these things & you'll earn a rep as being reliable & a team player.

As people have said, no one is full time except for TLs and above. You can, however, acquire or be given 32+ hours. I have 37 hours this week because our HRTM was giving away plano hours.

I've noticed before on here and in my store new TMs saying they're FT and I wonder - were they told that or do they assume it? I ask because this seems to be a recurring theme and when I was hired it was made clear to me that I was PT.

No one is guaranteed full time hours except for TLs and above. GSAs frequently get full time hours and maybe brand TMs do too (my store doesn't have brand TMs so I dunno). Scheduling is based on business need so NO ONE is ever guaranteed hours. I've even seen TL hours cut to 32 a week instead of 40.

Corporate's directive is to give out 4 and 4 1/2 hour cashier shifts so we don't have to schedule in lunches. How far a store is able to take this depends on how many cashiers are available, etc. So that means if a person is just a cashier, they ideally wouldn't have more than about 23 hours in a week, assuming they got 5 days.

After your 90 days are up, you can ask to be cross trained to different areas, and work towards picking up more shifts that way. Unfortunately people hired as cashiers are at a disadvantage because they can only pick up cashier hours while anyone else can generally pick up their own work center as well as cashier hours as soon as they have their cashier training.

Your best bet for cross training going into fourth quarter will to be to keep an ear out for call offs when you work. When they have someone call off in a department you are interested in, volunteer to stay and help out when you are done with your cashier shift. If you are a decent worker, they may give you a crash course on that department (if it's sales floor) and send you on your way. Next thing they know you've acquired enough knowledge to pick up shifts on the swap board and eventually they'll find you are trained and can put you on the schedule (this is how I trained for hardlines, softlines, and electronics).

They can also say they are full time cause of the benefits they are getting, average over 30hrs you get health insurance and a few other things..

I've noticed before on here and in my store new TMs saying they're FT and I wonder - were they told that or do they assume it? I ask because this seems to be a recurring theme and when I was hired it was made clear to me that I was PT.

I've noticed and wondered this as well. Clearly there is a miscommunication somewhere, because TMs simply are not hired as full time employees.

Of course there are people like me who happened to pick up enough hours and do as much as I could to slide in under the full time mark the next time benefits were refigured. And by that point, they agreed to keep me there so I could keep my benefits (and likely to keep me, period). But seeing as how most work centers I work require a full shift, and I've only once been scheduled for less than five days in the past 2 plus years, the full time gig isn't difficult to keep up.

Your best bet for cross training going into fourth quarter will to be to keep an ear out for call offs when you work.
This is pretty much exactly how I learned fitting room at around 60 days in. There were shifts on the board for the next couple days, and I offered to take them if someone could teach me what to do.

If the option comes down to you (in general) or nobody because you're replacing a TM who is sick/injured/termed, they just might take you up on it if they believe you can catch on quickly.

I'm not sure what everyone here is talking about but at this time of the year new hires that come in as Flow or backroom will get full time.

Yeah understandable I mean with the hours I got aren't even considered full time anyways but one of the etls came in and ask the hr lady if these were seasonal people or full time and the hr last said full time. It just sucks because I have stuff to pay for and I hate working under 5 days a week that's crap ! Considering the drive I drive there everyday is 30 mins north from my house so I'm spending atleast 100 bucks in gas a week. idk hopefully things will pick up with the season starting and I can get a chance to be cross trained and all. My only thing with these uniforms is khakis = sucky for women...especially for that time on month! Lol ladies any ideas on when that time of month happens and u have to wear khakis lol

Don't let the usage of "full time" confuse you with an actual full time position. The only full time, hourly positions are TLs and equivalent. For tax and benefit purposes all TMs are considered part time. You may be given 32+ hours on a regular basis, which will make you eligible for medical coverage, however if shit goes south, they can put you down to 4 hours a week.

This was the harsh reality my team got when Target started cutting down hours for all work centers. I had to explain to almost every TM on my team that they were not full time, therefore they are not guaranteed 38.5 hours. If I was given 2000 hours for the week I couldn't make that 3000 to give everyone claiming to be full time 38.5 hours. I had plenty of TMs go from 30+ hours to 18 hours or less on a consistent basis. This is Target's way of eliminating health care coverage.

I'm assuming the ETLs were asking if the new batch of TMs were seasonal (meaning they can fire without question before/after Christmas) or regular hire (90 period - documentation before termination - staying on after the holidays). We hired seasonal in waves, terming waves of TMs before Christmas, right after Christmas, and right after New Years Day. For my team, we kept roughly 2 TMs out of 25 hired. This time of year stores should be starting the seasonal hire process and continue to do so until December.

Keep your head up about hours. This time of year (normally) Target gives stores more hours than they can use. You shouldn't have too many problems getting full time hours. The hard part will be getting full time hours after Christmas. January - March is especially depressing for hours.

As for the time of month - if you are nervous about accidents then wear a khaki long skirt, double up on hygiene products, or let it go - at least the color matches dress code expectations.

Last edited:
No one is guaranteed full time hours except for TLs and above. GSAs frequently get full time hours and maybe brand TMs do too (my store doesn't have brand TMs so I dunno). Scheduling is based on business need so NO ONE is ever guaranteed hours. I've even seen TL hours cut to 32 a week instead of 40.

I am a PA and often get more hours than some TL's.

I'm not sure what everyone here is talking about but at this time of the year new hires that come in as Flow or backroom will get full time.

There is a huge difference between getting full time hours for a couple of months and being full time through out the year.

As for the time of month - if you are nervous about accidents then wear a khaki long skirt, double up on hygiene products, or let it go - at least the color matches dress code expectations.

This depends on the store. Mine doesn't allow khaki skirts unless you wear them every day for religious reasons.

I was nervous about that as well, but Signkitty has good advice. It ends up being okay.

I haven't seen it stated, but if you are super serious about getting hours, speak with Team Leads in other departments, yes, but more importantly - get a Learning Plan done for those areas. MyTime scheduling doesn't recognize who is trained for what unless a learning plan is submitted.

This depends on the store. Mine doesn't allow khaki skirts unless you wear them every day for religious reasons.

I was nervous about that as well, but Signkitty has good advice. It ends up being okay.

Our district as a whole allowed long khaki dresses.

I couldn't imagine a situation that would prevent a female TM from taking care of business.

I had 2 situations happen to me while I was LOD. A female TM ripped her pants badly while on the unload line and another bled through her pants during that time of month. Both situations I requisitioned pants for them.

They had the option to go home or stay and I'll buy them pants. May be embarrassing for them at the moment but we never spoke of it afterward. I just told them if they need assistance in the future I'd do my best to accommodate them and keep it private.

Thinking back I can see the concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back