Archived Hey, at least we get it right some of the time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw one of the table talkers referring to something like this. Didn't get a chance to read it.

I couldn't disagree more. An example of getting it right would be getting rid of GTC's or TL business walks. This is just another example of Target patting themselves on the back.

That is what I say too,Target can never be faulted for giving, in my opinion,they are the best.But the media are going to have a field day stirring this up to get headlines.
Dear god,here we go again....

This isn't just another "political issue". This is a human rights issue. As inclusive as we are of the LBGT community I would be disappointed of we didn't support their rights. If we lose sales from bigots and zealots, so what. Its worth standing up for something you truly believe. I support target 100%for on this one. Love is love.

This isn't just another "political issue". This is a human rights issue. As inclusive as we are of the LBGT community I would be disappointed of we didn't support their rights. If we lose sales from bigots and zealots, so what. Its worth standing up for something you truly believe. I support target 100%for on this one. Love is love.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Good friend of mine who was active in the LBGT community passed away a little while ago, I think he would have been glad to see this.
He was really pissed about Spots political donations.

Target would be better off staying out of hot button political issues.

Actually this is a pretty smart business move for a couple reasons.

For one, GLBT people are usually wealthy or at least middle class. Prime shoppers for target. This is the same reason why some stores also have signs in spanish - tons of the population are hispanic, and it helps to get their money.

Secondly, this is smart for marketing down the line. It is obvious that GLBT rights including marriage will be the norm in most (if not all) states within the next 10-20 years. What is going to play out better for marketing in the future? "Look at us! We supported civil rights when it wasn't popular to do so!" which gets major marketing points. Think about companies that publicly supported/went along with racial segregation. Can you name many? Probably not because they aren't in business anymore. "We used to support racial segregation and had a whites only line!" doesn't play well with the public these days.... GLBT rights will be the same way. Being on the wrong side of history is bad for business. For example, ever hear of a company called N.K. Fairbank? They aren't around anymore. Used to be a soap company that had an advertisement with a white kid holding a soap bar next to a black kid saying "Why doesn't your mom wash you with fairy soap?". People thought it was pretty funny at the time, apparently not anymore.

Third, it helps target attract/retain better talent - especially at the corporate levels. GLBT people are generally smart and creative. Good examples of this are companies like Pixar and Disney that even have gay employee groups at work because there are so many GLBT people working there. Almost every major company in america has rules against GLBT discrimination, offers domestic partner benefits, etc. This helps target remain competitive as far as employees go.

I think it's great to see Target supporting gay rights, but I don't know if I think it's the best decision considering the economic climate. It's the "right" thing given that gay rights are human rights, but Target's reasons are motivated by profit (determined by all kinds of analysts). It could backfire, it could help, or it could do nothing at all... but it just seems like a risky approach with how much money the company is spending.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back