hidden pros of target?

holiday pay. If you don’t work, pay for an extra day. If you do work, OT pay for the holiday and then vacation bank in lieu of holiday pay. one way to get more vacation time.
Note: "Holiday pay" has two different meanings.
"Paid Holiday": for many hourly TMs in stores and DCs means getting two Paid Holidays: Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Some hourly TMs don't qualify (in terms of average hours worked) for any paid holidays.
Most Corporate and executive staff receive six "Target recognized" Paid Holidays: New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas. I don't know if Juneteenth has been added.
"Holiday Premium Pay" means earning time-and-a-half for hours you work on the six "Target Recognized" days.

We get payed for holidays we don't work??? Hell, I didnt even geat paid for Easter....

Over your future career, you'll find most employers provide Paid Holidays, typically days the business is closed to observe a legal or recognized holiday.

People who work for Target Corporate or in ETL/SD positions get seven Paid Holidays (Juneteenth was just added).
Some hourly Target TMs who meet "average hours worked" will receive two Paid Holidays for Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Some hourly Target TMs receive zero Paid Holidays as they don't meet the "average hours worked" rules.

Federal Government employees receive eleven Paid Holidays: New Year's Day, Martin Luther King, President's Day, Memorial Day, Juneteenth, Independence Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas (11 days paid not to work).
Most private-sector employers provide Paid Holidays for some of the Federally-recognized holidays.
If you work for a stock brokerage, your Paid Holidays include all of the 11 Federal holidays plus Good Friday, since the NYSE is closed on that day.

Note: "Holiday pay" has two different meanings.
"Paid Holiday": for many hourly TMs in stores and DCs means getting two Paid Holidays: Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Some hourly TMs don't qualify (in terms of average hours worked) for any paid holidays.
Most Corporate and executive staff receive six "Target recognized" Paid Holidays: New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas. I don't know if Juneteenth has been added.
"Holiday Premium Pay" means earning time-and-a-half for hours you work on the six "Target Recognized" days.
All DC TMs recieve the full 7 paid holidays as they are full time. It is a full time/part time split as far as I know.

I work for a school system as well and let me tell you that I get paid 0 for any of those holidays you mentioned. I get the day off and that’s it.

They have gone back on the change for now. They claim technical difficulties but I suspect its just a penny pinching move.
They have only announced extending bank the holiday to 4th of July, they dont want people taking vacation around peak so theyd rather pay you out the day

Target legal way if you want first dibs on something is to stock the salesfloor shelves with it and wait 15 minutes during normal business hours.
After 15 mins on the floor, you can take your break/lunch and go buy it as a guest.
Once it sits on the floor for 15 mins all is good, guests have had time to buy whatever it is if they were waiting at the doors to buy it first thing.
Just like @Ashfromoldsite said in their post.
Yup! I've done this before.

They have only announced extending bank the holiday to 4th of July, they dont want people taking vacation around peak so theyd rather pay you out the day
Realistically due to limits of how many people can be on vacation at a time that is a non issue. The turnover rate is high enough many will earn these vacation days and never get to use then, saving Target payroll.
My 2 cents.

Having dental insurance is a BIG perk for me as my dentist calls my family members “dental disasters”. I pay the extra premium for 80% coverage and have saved SO MUCH money on dental costs !

Having dental insurance is a BIG perk for me as my dentist calls my family members “dental disasters”. I pay the extra premium for 80% coverage and have saved SO MUCH money on dental costs !
My siblings and I all have tore up teeth because of our family dentist growing up. We now refer to him as the butcher of East Main Street. If he couldn't "find" a cavity he would just say we needed to replace a filling. We found out years later after going to other dentists that he had a reputation.

My siblings and I all have tore up teeth because of our family dentist growing up. We now refer to him as the butcher of East Main Street. If he couldn't "find" a cavity he would just say we needed to replace a filling. We found out years later after going to other dentists that he had a reputation.
Shoulda knocked all that motherfucker's teeth out. I don't mean to promote/advocate violence, mind you, it simply sets things up so you can say "Dentist, heal thyself"

when I was a kid, I remember my dad always having issues with going to the dentist.... just very painful for him so of course he would delay going. It turned out Novocain was used but he felt everything so to spare the cost he would just have the dentist work on him without any type of numbing... (we're talking 50 years ago and I don't believe our dentist had any other type of numbing or 'laughing gas' cause nothing else was offered) Many years later, I'm an adult and I convince him to go to my new, awesome dentist that was very gentle. My dad went and told the new dentist again to forgo any numbing because it's a waste of money cause it didn't work on him at the old dentist office. New dentist says, no way we're going to try and if it doesn't work there are other types of numbing stuff to use. My dad had a great experience and with a little bit of research regarding our old dentist.... it turned out he lost his license and was arrested for using the meds from his patients, but he was charging insurance companies. I guess the old dentist was poking my dad's gum and pretending to give him Novocain🤬🤬. My poor dad was going thru routing procedures with no pain control medicines. 😞 😢

I work for a school system as well and let me tell you that I get paid 0 for any of those holidays you mentioned. I get the day off and that’s it.
I work for a Uni and we have most of the holidays off, but we don't lose pay. Some holidays we get a banked PTO day.

Hey all! I have my orientation this week & im pretty excited to say the least. Coming from somewhere I hated and have worked at malmart before so im happy to get back into a store ngl.

Tell me the hidden pros in your store.
I wanna know if you collect anything they sell do you kind of get first dibs since you most likely see it first, etc. Im curious!
Hi! I’ve been a target team member for a long time. My favorite part about target is the asbestos in the corners of the back room. It makes target feel more alive and adds to the decor of the store.

I got an old ass tablet for free through hinge health. Rooted and uninstalled all the shit on it. Probably target trying to spy on us listening to when we are jerking off to get texts to see if we can go in on our day off.

The hinge people are still emailing me.

Last edited:
Just wanted to stop in and say I've been looking since you posted this thread back in April, but I haven't found any yet.

Must be well hidden.

Meme Reaction GIF by Travis

Hey all! I have my orientation this week & im pretty excited to say the least. Coming from somewhere I hated and have worked at malmart before so im happy to get back into a store ngl.

I wanna know if you collect anything they sell do you kind of get first dibs since you most likely see it first, etc. Im curious!
You can be disciplined for going after Hot Ticket items before the public has a chance. At least at my stores, you had to wait 2hrs after it hit the floor. Reshop was forbidden to snatch up until it reached the floor again.

Maybe I've missed it, but what are "banked holidays"?
Basically, a banked holiday is you receiving extra hours on your time off balance equivalent to the number of hours you worked on the holiday.
Some companies also call them "floating holidays."

Say you work 4th of July for 6.5 hours and you're eligible for banked holiday hours. You would now have an extra 6.5 hours of some time-off category to use in lieu of not taking the holiday off.

I wanna know if you collect anything they sell do you kind of get first dibs since you most

We do not get first dibs on anything especially collectables/hard to get items.

Brian needs to pick his battles, no matter how strictly Target chooses to enforce this policy (our store can conduct 24 simultaneous hangings via the retractable ceiling bike hanger 😳) it’s n e v e r going to change the publics belief that this is exactly what is going on in the backroom.

Hell, it’s primarily the reason many people even apply to Target in the first place (I can think of two TM’s that didn’t ask me that when I trained them, 😂).

I figured someday Target would see this could actually be a zero cost “benefit” of being a valued employee that spends way too much of my pay at my workplace.

Back