Archived Hours cut! Everybody is really pissed off at my store!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course it is. So has it has been; so shall it will ever be. I'm just saying a store committee ain't gonna change that, yanno? And people gotta eat. Maybe while they're going through school to be the next brilliant political mind who will shake up The System and start making progress towards a new one. Haranguing people about just trying to get through their lives and feed themselves and/or their family is counterproductive, and a big glaring sign of privilege in itself.
Then what will? It's seems you think there's nothing we can do to change the power dynamics.

I'm not saying that. If you want to form a store committee, great, that's a start, but I don't think it will be that helpful in the broader fight.

Vote. Get involved in local politics. Apply to a city our county planning committee. Run for city council. Run for school council. Become an election judge. Offer to drive people to and from the polls. Offer to be a poll monitor or make sure voters aren't being intimidated or discouraged from voting. Get that political science or economics degree. Research stuff and publish the results. Volunteer for political organizations or candidates you feel can make a difference. Contact your representatives (local, county, state & national) about things that are important to you. Encourage/help your friends & family do the same. And so on.

As a corporation, Target is taking advantage of their situation as much as every other corporation in America right now. They treat their employees better than some, worse than others. Treating them (and those employed by them) universally as criminals because of that fact isn't super helpful at the moment.

You're assuming some of us haven't already done many of those things. The original issue of the thread is about workers hurting for hours, which we rely on to get by. By organizing we, as workers, can change the work conditions. That's not as trivial as you want to make it.

You're assuming some of us haven't already done many of those things. The original issue of the thread is about workers hurting for hours, which we rely on to get by. By organizing we, as workers, can change the work conditions. That's not as trivial as you want to make it.

This is where your argument is fundamentally 100% wrong. By "organizing" you are not going to create more hours. Target already pays well above minimum wage in most states and has a set payroll budget to spend based on sales. There are not going to just be more hours or higher wages because you and a committee of other workers complain that you can't afford your lifestyle.

Think of it in these terms. If you can afford to spend $500/month on rent/mortgage in your personal budget, but your friends organized together to tell you about living somewhere that required $1000/month, would you jump at the chance even though you couldn't afford it?

Under the NLRA companies are required to bargin in good faith with workers, that may not result in more stable hours in an immediate sense, but the broader the organization and the greater the coordination between workers at different stores the more leverage workers can use to win concessions. How do you think the 40 hour work week was won?

This one shall we say is very personal.
One sister is in the tech industry where she's lucky to stay on after 65% of their workforce was replaced with foreign contractors; brother was forced to accept a buy-out & is trying to find contract work but has been told to lower his asking rate to what a 2-yr tech would make (he's an engineer with 30+ yrs experience).
Another sister is a floor nurse in a hospital; saw her hours slashed & replaced with LVNs & medical techs despite the hospital being over occupancy on any given day.
Yep, it's personal.

44 k over sales on a Sunday in January and hours still cut. WTF

They cut more or didn't add? Or did you bomb the rest of the week so that 44K got eaten by what you missed other days? Cause if not you might have some flex coming.. Or like my store will do is hold those hours so when flow goes over they don't cut everyone else for it..

44 k over sales on a Sunday in January and hours still cut. WTF

They can't base payroll on one anomalous day. As has been mentioned, aren't flex hours something that can be worked out if stores are over sales over time? One day over sales, they can't count on that enough to boost hours overall, but if a pattern emerges, yeah.

So, if Target doesn't cut any hours in January and they spend 300% (or 500% or whatever) more on payroll than they see in profit, how, exactly, does that benefit workers? So far, my store seems to be decently staffed. We haven't had to have HL backing up the lanes more than we did during the season. Backroom is empty. Floor looks good. Electronics could use another person, for sure, but the losses on those areas might convince corporate not to cut trained electronics hours, but overall my store is doing what needs to be done with the hours they have, and hiring more.

You're assuming the only reason they cut hours is to fuck workers, and that's just not the case. If they staffed my store the way they did on Dec. 23 they'd have a lot of people sitting around doing nothing, pushing the store into the red and putting everyone's job in jeopardy. How does that make sense?

They can't base payroll on one anomalous day. As has been mentioned, aren't flex hours something that can be worked out if stores are over sales over time? One day over sales, they can't count on that enough to boost hours overall, but if a pattern emerges, yeah.

So, if Target doesn't cut any hours in January and they spend 300% (or 500% or whatever) more on payroll than they see in profit, how, exactly, does that benefit workers? So far, my store seems to be decently staffed. We haven't had to have HL backing up the lanes more than we did during the season. Backroom is empty. Floor looks good. Electronics could use another person, for sure, but the losses on those areas might convince corporate not to cut trained electronics hours, but overall my store is doing what needs to be done with the hours they have, and hiring more.

You're assuming the only reason they cut hours is to fuck workers, and that's just not the case. If they staffed my store the way they did on Dec. 23 they'd have a lot of people sitting around doing nothing, pushing the store into the red and putting everyone's job in jeopardy. How does that make sense?
Or the arrangement could be changed to not hire as many seasonal workers and transfer those hours to the part timers, but yeah they don't want to have to pay more full time benefits.

But...not all part-timers want or need more hours. Some part-timers are part-time because they need the flexibility and/or can only work certain hours, and in many cases there's a ridiculous amount of leeway to avoid bumping people into categories to trigger additional benefits.

Pretty much everyone in the US knows that you get no health care, etc. benefits as a part-timer, no matter your company. Hiring and training new employees is way more expensive than bumping up existing hours among existing TMs, unless Target has you able to claim full insurance benefits and such if you've clocked full time hours in a few weeks. I thought it was more like hours averages over 6 months or a year.

To assume that all workers are wage slaves and unable or unwilling to dictate their own circumstances is condescending in itself.

A year ago my store was handing out OT like candy during Q4 & we didn't hire but a few seasonals.
First couple weeks everyone was flush in hours.
By the third week tho, folks were starting to get burnt out until the fourth week when it was no longer an inducement to get extra bodies in.
This year, the only OT was for TLs & up.

Pretty much everyone in the US knows that you get no health care, etc. benefits as a part-timer, no matter your company.

Not true. When I needed to get a job quickly that had health insurance, I knew of two companies that had health insurance for part-time employees: Target & Staples. You are eligible if you average 30 hours a week at Target.

A few years back our hr made a deal with the team and didnt hire a single seasonal person. Hrbp called when they sent the form to confirm. We all banked insane hours as the deal was no call outs. By the end we were all so burnt out but the paychecks man I will never EVER see that again. But the trade for health was brutal as all heck. This year they way over hired and full timers barely banked 34. Not sure which I would prefer at this point.

A few years back our hr made a deal with the team and didnt hire a single seasonal person. Hrbp called when they sent the form to confirm. We all banked insane hours as the deal was no call outs. By the end we were all so burnt out but the paychecks man I will never EVER see that again. But the trade for health was brutal as all heck. This year they way over hired and full timers barely banked 34. Not sure which I would prefer at this point.

That sounds pretty awesome, though I'd be anxious as heck knowing call-outs where especially bad. I don't mind working a shit ton of hours as long as they're consistent and I have consecutive days off. Having said, I'm exhausted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back