Archived Hours cut! Everybody is really pissed off at my store!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So everybody got cut really bad their hours during this week, next and the following. TM's who all year had over 30+ hours are now with less than 20. Some flow fellows from from went from 28 to 8 hours now.

A lot of people have already gotten to speak with their ETLs, ETL-HR and STL about the issue. They just simply say they can't do anything because that's what current payroll is.

I went from 40 to 35, then 31 then 21. WTF!

There's a girl who' gathering together to kinda boycott against management for this. She's telling us to file for unemployment, and at least 13 people are going to do it for, so they can get that difference in money of the hours they're not getting. I'm also considering it maybe...

Apparently she says this will hurt management really bad. Is this true?

I don't understand why this is happening. My store did really well during the holidays, they made a lot of money. They said several times how they surpassed their goal by a lot all the time. Is it because they haven't let go all the seasonal people?

Last edited:
You can file for and receive unemployment in most states for a reduction in hours. However, if your employer can show that you were not available for full time work, such as your availability or attendance records, you may not receive it. So if you do not have open availability, expect to waste your time.

Actually most states allow you to file for Unemployment when ever you are scheduled for less than 50% of your average hours. Many states require that you have been continuously employed for 6 mos., some only require 3 mos. And those months don't have to be with the same employer either.

It's best to file for Unemployment Benefits. Be honest with all of your info when you file, and your state will determine if you are eligible and how much you get. There's no penalty for applying...just be honest!

Depending how low your hours are and how long they stay low, you may be eligible for SNAP or even energy assistance.

You work, you pay taxes, don't be embarrassed to collect benefits that were funded by your tax dollars!

So if you do not have open availability, expect to waste your time.

I do, but also live in a right-to-work state so probably screwed on that one

I've just wrapped up a 40 hr week but have no idea how next week is going to go because I always get under-scheduled (like say 24 hrs) and then asked to stay late every day, which I do. Next week's schedule looks normal but no surprise if they get back to their old "everybody work your exact schedules and get the FUCK out" tricks

I usually work 20-30 hrs a week and for the next 2 weeks I only have 2 four hr shifts :( looks like I’ll be looking at the swap board

Hours always go down in January every year.

Yeah. Our forecast are way down. We had this market tm threatening to quit, my etl hr took him out to the front lanes (ghost town) and said this is why there are no hours.

Before I switched to HR I always saved the overtime/extra money I made in November and December for the rainy days that are January through March.

Last edited:
Pretty sure filing for unemployment won't ding spot leadership; it hasn't affected Walmart any & they've under-employed their people for years.

Yeah the etl hr gets an email asking for facts about the team member. Disciplinary action, average hours, attendance etc. And Target makes a decision to accept the claim or fight it.

Reactions: Fyi
Boycott? Everyone talking to management? Like, even veteran TMs who would expect this by now?

This is just how January is. Target gives ample hours to meet the holiday rush, and then promptly after New Years slashes payroll to next to nothing. It'll come back a bit around Easter.

Boycotting/striking will have no effect. 13 people or not, everyone is a redshirt. Leading/participating in a strike would probably be an unwise career move.

Reign in the fire there angry one. All stores are down as everyone has said. Happens every year and unless you are an etl favorite everyone will be in the low 20s or less based on availability. I average 37hrs and am looking at a 3rd wk of 20hrs. When I was in favor of my old etls I got 34 while everyone else was in the teens or lower. Every store plays ball differently just dig in your heels or sesrch for alternate ways to cash. Things will get better come bts and easter if marginally.

Its just January, I've worked for Spot for over two Years now and on the new Schedule I'm scheduled for Nine Hours. Going to just treat the Week as a Vacation honestly. Swap Shift board is your friend as is just, Talking to your Department and your TL / ETL, There's always the chance there's somewhere else that needs help.

Yeah. Our forecast are way down. We had this market tm threatening to quit, my etl hr took him out to the front lanes (ghost town) and said this is why there are no hours.

That's the problem at my store, the front end hasn't been a ghost town. We have been busy each day that I worked this week, and from talking to others, we've been busy all day. I cashiered yesterday and had a 1+3 or 4 for my full shift. Most of the orders were at least half cart full to over flowing, not the folks with a few items that just refuse to do SCO.

In my 7+ years at Spot, each year gets a little more drastic than the previous year. We do more with less each year. That being said, it is now beginning to take its toll on team members (leaving) and the store itself (empty shelves, zoning, etc.). This was the first year I can recall that we did not finish trucks and re shop daily. It was ongoing till a couple of days ago.

I suspect a lot of stores have been able to weather these "situations" due to seasoned team members. However as time goes on and these seasoned team members go their own way, a lot of stores will fall victim to attrition. Low volume stores will be the first as they cannot afford the inefficiencies. I suspect of the 12 average stores Target closes a year (within the past 10 yrs), a 1/4 of them are shuttered as a direct result of attrition.

Target is not alone either as it crosses over into a lot of industries out there.

Given that, "Job Creep" is alive and doing well. :(

Before I switched to HR I always saved the overtime/extra money I made in November and December for the rainy days that are January through March.

Lol that's the best way to do it.

January this always happens and this is why we stress being cross trained. Might be able to pick up hours that way, but cuts in January is the norm.

Reactions: Him
I was kinda hoping to have my hours reduced but they are giving me hardlines shifts, beauty shifts bc others have quit/were seasonal so I'm picking up the slack I guess. Same amount of hours as during the holidays.

Hours are always low for about 45 weeks of the year. It's slightly lower right now, but for the most part it will be the same for the next 10.5 months. Hours are good for the week of Black Friday and most of December, and maybe a couple weeks during back to school. This is no surprise. This is how businesses work.

That's the problem at my store, the front end hasn't been a ghost town. We have been busy each day that I worked this week, and from talking to others, we've been busy all day. I cashiered yesterday and had a 1+3 or 4 for my full shift. Most of the orders were at least half cart full to over flowing, not the folks with a few items that just refuse to do SCO.

It's all relative though I imagine your store is staffed less now than it was in December but the sales is less too.

Thats not to say there are times we don't have backup but you will rarely have enough payroll where you can just have cashier's not busy. Backup is sadly a regular way of life at Target but our lines are never Wal-Mart esque

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back