Archived Hours cut! Everybody is really pissed off at my store!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If a Major Union actually tried to take down Target, I think you would see them match it, as it would be a serious move on their part.
The UAW is a major union. United Auto Worker. You don't get mor major as far as unions. When we lived in VA my husband worked at Volvo. He was not a fan. Regular layoff got to be to much. You don't have a voice. You have a place in line. No matter how good or terrible you are all you can do in stay in line. Bump for vacation you put in for because someone further up the line decided they wanted that slot. You hold a spot in line. Just my opinion

If you are with a decent union, you are supported by the union when you go on strike.

I was a member of Communucation Workers of America. I was on strike many times. Our strike fund gave us weekly money but not even close to our salary. When unemployment kicked in we got max from that. We always tried to save and prepare ahead for that dreaded August contract date!

Ooooook swinging a bit back on topic how do you all survive this extended cut? Right now Im babying my little bit of vaction hours but will be out by feb. With rent increased as it does every year and a pupper with medical issues I literally have a bare fridge. So lets get some ideas how do you get by until may???

Yeah for starters if you are spending all the extra money you made q4 on toys you are doing it wrong. I get some gifts and essentials but I save a lot of the money when overtime was plentiful so that I have something for rainy days.

Hours were cut last January, they were cut this year and they will be cut next year too. If you go into it anticipating such you will be alright.

This is a great gig economy. Plenty of team members have made money using Shipt or Amazon flex which are jobs that pay for delivering food or packages on your own schedule.

Yeah for starters if you are spending all the extra money you made q4 on toys you are doing it wrong. I get some gifts and essentials but I save a lot of the money when overtime was plentiful so that I have something for rainy days.

Hours were cut last January, they were cut this year and they will be cut next year too. If you go into it anticipating such you will be alright.

This is a great gig economy. Plenty of team members have made money using Shipt or Amazon flex which are jobs that pay for delivering food or packages on your own schedule.

True enough if you got hours q4 but when you an stl who doesnt bother maxing out tms and never allows overtime even on holiday weeks you get shafted that money. I start christmas shopping in july so when december hits its minor details needing to be wrapped up but that doesnt help when you live paycheck to paycheck through those supposed frugle months.

I dont have a car and rely on public transportation. I still have open avaipability just reigned in by the bus system. So far donating plasma is a decent fall back for a couple weeks but its tiring to eay the least.

There are some great survey sites im on that pay you for time and you can cash out after a certain amount. Works well. Rebate apps are also a big win like Ibotta and shopkick feeds me alot when im broke lol.

Those are a fouple things I do to keep afloat

No car is a huge savings. If you have cable, you could drop it for a few mos. When you do laundry, hang it up in your home to dry (also adds moisture to dry winter air). Check out SNAP or Unemployment benefits. When you cook, soup is a great way to stretch your food budget...can add rice or pasta.

If you have a KMart nearby, you can do their ShopYourWay rewards to earn points. Spend the points in store for whatever you need to tide you over.

No car is a huge savings. If you have cable, you could drop it for a few mos. When you do laundry, hang it up in your home to dry (also adds moisture to dry winter air). Check out SNAP or Unemployment benefits. When you cook, soup is a great way to stretch your food budget...can add rice or pasta.

If you have a KMart nearby, you can do their ShopYourWay rewards to earn points. Spend the points in store for whatever you need to tide you over.

We used to have a kmart up the street but it closed this last summer :/ still use shop your way at sears though its how i get pants and socks sadly lol. I make to much for food stamps but im making it work. Soup is life so is mac n cheese! I dont evn remember the last time I had cable tbh. Been on my own 10yrs (left home a month after getting with spot bad idea save first people!) and have never had it. Believe me I have cut pretty much everything out besides internet and electricity and I dont eat fancy foods like pizza or anything with real meat. To rich for my blood

Welp I'm once again wrapping up a 40 hour week with another one next week...my store is comping sales big time and actually still hiring (!!!) and the STL has been hounding everyone to pick up more hours. Feels good man

Banked a portion of Q4 pay & am hustling shifts wherever I can.
Fortunately, many of the seasonal cashiers we kept refuse to come in for the few shifts they get these days so I've been able to pick up anywhere from 8-16 hrs ea week.

Last edited:
I
Banked a portion of Q4 pay & am hustling shifts wherever I can.
Fortunately, many of the seasonal cashiers we kept refuse to come in for the few shifts they get these days so I've been able to pick up anywhere from 8-16 hrs ea week.
I picked up 5 hours this week. Being a former seasonal, I know I am low on the hours food chain. I am fortune in that Spot is my side hustle. I feel lucky to have my TM discount and try to combine it with sales, coupons and Cartwheel.

It looks like the hours drought is over at my store. I just saw my schedule for the week after next, it's pretty good. Either hours are back or half of softlines quit before the schedule was made. (Which is a small possibility because two long shifts in a week kept me from seeing a lot of the regulars.)

It looks like the hours drought is over at my store. I just saw my schedule for the week after next, it's pretty good. Either hours are back or half of softlines quit before the schedule was made. (Which is a small possibility because two long shifts in a week kept me from seeing a lot of the regulars.)

It's just a monster week for softlines. You guys will be up to your head in pogs. The workload is so huge we had to schedule our Plano team in softlines because everyone is maxed out

The week after softlines hours are going to be 50% less so enjoy it while you can.

HL will plummet now that sales plans are done until mid March when the next round start again. Even then it's minimal.

I average 38+ hours a week...been at spot for a year and a few months. New schedule today? Scheduled for one day. I haven't been scheduled for one day since I started working at the store. Almost not worth it considering all the benefits crap that comes out of my check...probably will make about $20 for that one 10 hour shift.

/vent

I average 38+ hours a week...been at spot for a year and a few months. New schedule today? Scheduled for one day. I haven't been scheduled for one day since I started working at the store. Almost not worth it considering all the benefits crap that comes out of my check...probably will make about $20 for that one 10 hour shift.

/vent
I hear you and that sucks. I also received fewer hours than normal. However, some recent hires received the same amount or more hours. Makes no sense to give more hours to new people when you have trained TM's with open availability who will do the work.

I hear you and that sucks. I also received fewer hours than normal. However, some recent hires received the same amount or more hours. Makes no sense to give more hours to new people when you have trained TM's with open availability who will do the work.
Agreed about the new people.

I have requests for two days off in the schedule that comes out next week...so was expecting a low hour week that week...not one shift the week before. So I'm sure I'll only get one or two shifts that next week too as "retaliation" for actually requesting days off for once (they say it doesn't happen, but we all know it does).

Can't wait for the remodel to start now...I'm going to be on that team, so basically 40 hours a week for four months straight (with a set schedule).

/vent

Could be worse, they could have made you come in for two 5 hour shifts.

Just remember to make your claim for unemployment.

I usually work 20-30 hrs a week and for the next 2 weeks I only have 2 four hr shifts :( looks like I’ll be looking at the swap board
dont be shamed to look into state benefits...like the other guy said: you pay taxes to fund the same programs that are there to help you in the end. It's the same as insurance. Apply for it if you need it.

My hours finally dipped under 20 on the new schedule, but they're 8.5 hour shifts, so that isn't so terrible as far as I'm concerned.

Could be worse, they could have made you come in for two 5 hour shifts.

I'm o/n flow...a 10 hour shift is the minimum (for the most part).

That also means I really can't pick up cashier shifts/floor shifts/etc because I'm not trained for any of those areas.

I'm o/n flow...a 10 hour shift is the minimum (for the most part).

That also means I really can't pick up cashier shifts/floor shifts/etc because I'm not trained for any of those areas.

Then file for unemployment and consider it an underfunded mini vacation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back