Archived Hours of Availability

Status
Not open for further replies.

slegab21

Self Checkout Junkie
Some background: I'm a month into my job as a Cashier - the first two weeks I was on the learning plan and only worked 4 hours shifts, with a total of 16 hrs per week. Then, for the past two weeks I've worked 40 hour weeks - with usually 8 hour shifts. When I was hired I checked part time, and wrote my preference as approx. 25 hours per week but when asked if I would be available up to 40 - I said yes (assuming it would be during holidays or weeks with low availability. In other words, an occasional "if needed" thing - not an every single week thing). I'm a sophomore in college taking 4 classes and holding a TA position. This doesn't take up too much actual, scheduled time during the week - I have a lot of "open" hours on my availability - but I cannot continue to have this many of them filled. I've been falling behind in all other obligations. BUT...

Q1: I read somewhere on here that it's looked down on for team members in their first 90 days to minimize their availability, as a big reason people are hired is because of their hours available. Is this universally the case? Or does it depend on the store, etc?

Q2: If possible - how do I permanently change my hours weekly availability? When I was looking at the MyTime Self Service it said that it was only effective for the selected weeks. And it only goes up to 5 weeks - so do I have to go in every month or so and key in the hour availability? Am I misunderstanding that?

Q3: One of my co-workers said I could change my daily hours available to be less - but I still want to be given the 25 or 30 hours, and I don't want to minimize the options for scheduling... and I can definitely go back up to 40 during the holidays if needed. What's the best way to change this?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!!

All I can say is "good luck."

Try and talk to the HR person first and see what happens. Due to the holidays, I wouldnt expect much to change tbh so prepare yourself....

Just talk to HR or your TL or ETL and let them know it is a bit too much to handle while also in school. It's highly unusual for a cashier to be working 40 hour weeks, though not unheard of.

Alternatively, you can put some shifts up on the swap shift board and ask around to see if any other cashiers want them. Weekday shifts should be easiest to give away.

Just talk to HR or your TL or ETL and let them know it is a bit too much to handle while also in school. It's highly unusual for a cashier to be working 40 hour weeks, though not unheard of.

Alternatively, you can put some shifts up on the swap shift board and ask around to see if any other cashiers want them. Weekday shifts should be easiest to give away.

Plenty of people out there needing and wanting hours, giving away your hours via the swap shifts are best case scenario for you right now.

I'll try that- thanks! But for future reference... I should just continue being given the 40 hours and try to swap shifts every single week? Seems like an odd way to go about things. And makes more work for those who have to sign off on it, approve of it, switch the shifts, etc.

I'll try that- thanks! But for future reference... I should just continue being given the 40 hours and try to swap shifts every single week? Seems like an odd way to go about things. And makes more work for those who have to sign off on it, approve of it, switch the shifts, etc.

Not at all, you need to be an adult and explain your situation. First go to your ETL HR and ask who writes the front end schedule. It may be the HR team it may be the ETL GE. Once you find out who does explain your situation. They will simply give the shifts to someone else.

Because your availability is so wide open I bet mytime is just giving you open shifts. People with limited availability arent so lucky.

Last edited:
No, post the shifts you want to get rid of, and still make sure to talk to your TL/ETL. They start working on the new schedule Monday.

Thank you for the clarification. I still wasn't sure if minimizing hours was really frowned upon or something like that, since no one really explained how that could be handled lol

Not at all, you need to be an adult and explain your situation. First go to your ETL HR and ask who writes the front end schedule. It may be the HR team it may br the ETL GE. Once you find out who does explain your situation. They will simply give the shifts to someone else.

Because your availability is so wide open I bet mytime is just giving you open shifts. People with limited availability arent so lucky.

OK. I was under the impression that all changes had to be done through mytime directly - so I thought the hour change had to be entered there. I didn't know there was even a rep to speak with about it. In the first week or so when I was setting up my initial availability whenever I asked HR about it they would direct me to the computer - no questions answered by them at all.

Also, I was confused why the responses on this thread were simply about trading shifts, which is only a temporary solution, instead of how to actually change the situation. My question was sarcastic and not at all insinuating that I would actually trade shifts every single week instead of directly doing what needed to be done. Thanks for your advice.

Mytime self service will change your availability but it wont change how many hours you want or get each week. The schedule writers can actually change the schedule MyTime sets for you.

Mytime self service will change your availability but it wont change how many hours you want or get each week. The schedule writers can actually change the schedule MyTime sets for you.

Thank you so much!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back