How bad is Halloween going to be this year?

I already told my mom we will not be joining in on the traditional holiday celebrations.

For Halloween, my son decided we are going to stay in, and watch a movie together. I might buy a special treat - donuts, cupcakes, etc. Maybe a cookie cake - since we don't get those very often.
A cookie cake with a pumpkin or ghost in icing on it. They'd love that.

Was thinking about this just today while going through seasonal. I suspect there will be a lot more trunk or treat events, socially distanced, people using gloves to hand out candy. Parents can leave it sit in an in-home quarantine for 3 days. Kids will pitch a fit, but parents could buy a big bag on clearance to tide them over.

Santizers, wipes, reservations for the Full Size Candy houses, candy in bowls at the door step, sanitizing fog machines, and the new Halloween comedy needs to be the Night of the Complaining Karens....OH MY

At least Halloween is on a Saturday this year.

I worked a couple stores in Tennessee where the locals only celebrated Halloween at Trunk Or Treats events, Fridays or Saturdays. The one year Halloween landed on Sunday. People came rampaging in on Halloween Sunday expecting Halloween candy to be on clearance. Karen came to visit and called us satanists.

Last edited:
I love handing out candy, I can't figure out a good way to this year. If I leave a bucket out with a "take only 2" sign, three kids later will be the kid that will empty the bucket in his bag. Maybe sit in a lawnchair 6 feet away from the bucket, but some kids will still grab too much.

Maybe buy a lot of sandwich bags and glow in the dark tape, put a few pieces in each bag and tape on the outside and then use the slingshot. Kiddies will see the glow in the dark tape and grab their bag, no risk of anyone taking all the candy.

I’m planning to put candies in snack size ziplock bags and keep it outside ( if trick-or- treating is allowed in our community). I have bought a costume for my daughter last year a size up when everything went on clearance 😂So that’s a ✅. She is already excited about Halloween and I’m like 🙄😓

We just received ziploc bags that say on them “trick or treat with ziploc brand bags”. So it seems they’re betting on people doing individual bags of candy to hand out. Sounds like a lot of work though.

We just received ziploc bags that say on them “trick or treat with ziploc brand bags”. So it seems they’re betting on people doing individual bags of candy to hand out. Sounds like a lot of work though.

I don't get why you would put the candy in a bag. Covid-19 isn't primarily spread by touch. And you're touching the candy (wrapper) to put the candy into the bag and then you're touching the bag.

I don't get why you would put the candy in a bag. Covid-19 isn't primarily spread by touch. And you're touching the candy (wrapper) to put the candy into the bag and then you're touching the bag.
Technically true, it won’t be transmitted through the skin on your hands. But if you sneeze into your hands and touch something, then you’re spreading your germs all over the place.

Technically true, it won’t be transmitted through the skin on your hands. But if you sneeze into your hands and touch something, then you’re spreading your germs all over the place.

So what's the point of bagging the candy then? Either the candy wrapper or the ziplock would be contaminated.

So what's the point of bagging the candy then? Either the candy wrapper or the ziplock would be contaminated.
The point isn't surface contamination. The point is that the candy giver and the candy getters have to be 6 feet or more away. And the exchange has to happen during dark conditions. And kid greed means a bucket with a sign will fail. Throwing individual pieces of candy 6 feet in the dark will also fail. Putting a few pieces in a larger but still toss-able bag that has glow in the dark or reflective tape or writing will make the exchange easy and maintain control of how many pieces each kid gets.

Back