How did your store's black FRiday go?

We did $385k. Which beat goal, which I think was $350k-ish.

We had some leaders tour the store this morning including the regional manager I think, and that by how the store looked it didn't look like it got hit by Black Friday shopping. That's either a testament to how good a job the closers did, or shopping being underwhelming. Or a combo of both.

Asked the SD how we did as a store today, and she happily told me that we made the most money ever in our store's history. I honestly don't remember what the number was because I briefly looked when I left, but we were around 580K something, way beyond our forecast of 450K. For a store our size and volume, the number was truly breathtaking, and I can tell our leaders were very proud. It also confirms how fucking busy we were yesterday.
You made sales but did you comp?

Black Friday this year was tame compared to the endless rush that the work from home order/ lock down created in our area.
What was bad?
The saturday! That was absolutely terribly busy and all the old vets agreed. It was more pre pandemic blackfriday then the last 2 black Fridays have been. I clocked 10 miles in 8 hours on Friday but 13miles on Saturday. And 8 on sunday.

over $800k if what I was told is true (I was off, walked out the door as they opened, never heard final #, just what someone last saw). We took 5 trucks every night (and came clean) for a week or so prior.

over $800k if what I was told is true (I was off, walked out the door as they opened, never heard final #, just what someone last saw). We took 5 trucks every night (and came clean) for a week or so prior.
I’ve heard of triple tucks in one day but 5 trucks in one day physically impossible no matter how big your store or back room is

I finally remembered to look. Just over 500k on Black Friday for us. The amount of people in that store, half of which were in toys/electronics, was insane. All. Day. Long.

I’ve heard of triple tucks in one day but 5 trucks in one day physically impossible no matter how big your store or back room is
Not impossible I do two trucks at once ive posted pictures of it being done before Just because he/she says five trucks doesn’t mean they were all big trucks . The first two would be normal size 2400-2200 the third one maybe 1300-1500 and the last two dc is stupid enough just to waste the gas for a 94-500 tops . If you have 5 docks or even with 4 you do live unloads by the 3rd truck . I was schedule 5 trucks the day after thanksgiving so I moved one to Wednesday since . The 4th truck was little 90 cases all shippers . Now your line for that is anywhere between 25-30 people just like old school . That’s how I had it for last week. 2 throwers and 8 sorters , one bulk . And then you have the rest push in toys I had 4 team and sea 2 and mini 1. And the rest was split between p2 and market because p1 got almost nothing on those 4 trucks

Not physically impossible at all. We have a very hard working team that started trucks at 8pm, and usually finished by 12:30am. Heaviest work load areas are Seasonal and Toys at about 20 hours, where we have 5-6 DBO's working starting between 8-11pm. 1 person dedicated to backstocking those areas the entire night and we break people off to help backstock as needed to keep up. Our largest piece count for the week of 5 trucks per night was ~7800'ish iirc, will have to check for exact number later. FWIW, 3 trucks is a regular night for us, 4 during the seasonal period, and leadership pushed us for 5 a night for BF weekend to get more product in for the weekend sales. We do have 6 docks.

We were the top store for sales in the entire nation for the weekend. No one can take that away from our kickass team.

Last edited:
Blew past our forecast by quite a lot. There was a line to get in the door at opening, but it wasn't insane like it has been in previous years. Fairly steadily busy all day until around 8:00 p.m. Nice change of pace to not have everything be so crazy.
Noticed on Saturday a lot more of what I'd call social shopping although maybe not more guests total. A lot of friends shopping in twos and threes, a LOT of chatting about possible gift ideas, guests shopping so slowly - not the usual "get the Target run done" shopping. And Sunday seemed to be "let's entertain the family by shopping at Target" day - with a lot more slow shopping and some kids who really needed lunch and/or naps.

We did $385k. Which beat goal, which I think was $350k-ish.

We had some leaders tour the store this morning including the regional manager I think, and that by how the store looked it didn't look like it got hit by Black Friday shopping. That's either a testament to how good a job the closers did, or shopping being underwhelming. Or a combo of both.
I want to know if anyone can compare Black Friday to Cyber Monday. We were busy on Black Friday, but actually worse in Fulfillment on Cyber Monday. We’re still carrying over thousands from Monday. I hope we get shut off till we catch up.

We have pallets all over the back room, full drop trailers for both UPS and FedEx with multiple pickups each day. Grocery OPU refrigerators overflowing every day. Ouch.

Not impossible I do two trucks at once ive posted pictures of it being done before Just because he/she says five trucks doesn’t mean they were all big trucks . The first two would be normal size 2400-2200 the third one maybe 1300-1500 and the last two dc is stupid enough just to waste the gas for a 94-500 tops . If you have 5 docks or even with 4 you do live unloads by the 3rd truck . I was schedule 5 trucks the day after thanksgiving so I moved one to Wednesday since . The 4th truck was little 90 cases all shippers . Now your line for that is anywhere between 25-30 people just like old school . That’s how I had it for last week. 2 throwers and 8 sorters , one bulk . And then you have the rest push in toys I had 4 team and sea 2 and mini 1. And the rest was split between p2 and market because p1 got almost nothing on those 4 trucks
As usual I just want to clarify the DCs policy is to never send a trailer under 1,000 cartons except for extreme circumstances (I have seen an entire trailer of nothing but PIPO before).
Anything under that 1,000 carton threshold is being forced to close and sent by dispatch who is in direct contact with your immediate management and making that decision.
The decision to move toward more frequent but smaller trailers instead of less frequent but higher cube trailers is store driven.

Don’t forget we made so much more in sales due to inflation and the increase in prices.

Brian is going to have a marvelous Christmas.

Let’s hope we get more than a $200 bonus.
Target has actually resisted increasing prices as much as possible and has lost stock value over that decision to not pass increased costs due to inflation onto its customers.

As usual I just want to clarify the DCs policy is to never send a trailer under 1,000 cartons except for extreme circumstances (I have seen an entire trailer of nothing but PIPO before).
Anything under that 1,000 carton threshold is being forced to close and sent by dispatch who is in direct contact with your immediate management and making that decision.
The decision to move toward more frequent but smaller trailers instead of less frequent but higher cube trailers is store driven.
Ohh I know I had the od change the time for the door .

Back