Archived How do I escape?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in a bad spot.

Going to work everyday makes me feel dead inside. I can't do it anymore, and I want to just up and quit. But, being smart, I know that I cannot because I need to pay my bills. Or at least pay some of the bills. Not like Target allows me to keep a nice credit score anyway.

I have been talked to about promoting for the past 5 years and I constantly am conveniently passed up and given an excuse. I've finally turned off the blinders and seen that there is no future for me here.

But unfortunately, in my attempt to make a future, I've sacrificed so much. I have no degree. Dropped out of school to work more. I only have Target-skills, as I've been here for 5 years. I feel like I have nothing to offer a different company. Seriously, this place has completely killed my enthusiasm. It makes me depressed and it is affecting my normal life. I'd rather sleep in and not talk to friends rather than bring them down because of my unhappiness.

I need to get out. Need to. The question is, how? I have no degree, no other experience....I have no idea.

Costco is a great company to work for. I have a relative who workd for UPS, also a great company. There are other places you can go where your Target skills will be appreciated. Write a great resume (get help if you need it) and apply everywhere. Even another retail job would be a change a scenery.

I have to agree with researchr on Costco (wish there was one closer to me), you might also try Trader Joes.
Have a sharp resume, get as many out there as you can, be positive and illegitimi non carborundum.

Is school an option? Honestly, knowing that I'm progressing in some aspect of my life makes things pass easier. I know that Target is not my only hope and if it treats me badly, I can leave whenever a better (or fresh) opportunity arises.

If you're not progressing, you're stagnant. Don't let Target beat you down so much.

Is school an option? Honestly, knowing that I'm progressing in some aspect of my life makes things pass easier. I know that Target is not my only hope and if it treats me badly, I can leave whenever a better (or fresh) opportunity arises.

If you're not progressing, you're stagnant. Don't let Target beat you down so much.

Getting my degree is what keeps me going most days. Knowing that after the fall semester I'm going to start applying for internships (hopefully landing a paying one!) can get me through even the worst days. Maybe not with a smile, but I still make it through lol.

If school isn't an option, make sure you are doing your job and not picking up slack for other people and teams. I quit overworking myself about 2 months ago and I have to say that I feel so much better outside of work. I just feel lighter. About a month ago I truly started finding things funny and laughing while I was alone. It's cheesy, but laughter is the best medicine. That's something I couldn't have said more than two months ago. Working out also helps me feel better too. Just going for a run or forcing yourself to be more active can make you feel better. Getting involved in community service with your friends or on your own and meeting new people can make you feel better too. Even changing workcenters (if that's an option) might be good.

I struggle with depression and meds didn't really work out well for me. This is the stuff that has helped me out in rough times. I still get down every now and then, but it's mostly fleeting. I don't feel like I'm stuck in a pit like I used to a few years ago. Hope this helps!

Wegmans is a great place to work. Don't give up. Dust off your résumé. There is a lot of jobs open for you. Customer service related work like hotels, airports, bus drivers, & fedex etc. it is suggested to get a commercial drivers license. That can to lead to even more things for you too. Part time driver makes $17 or more in my area. That will give you some time to go back to school.

If you need help writing a good resume, check with your local workforce commission office.
Many help you go over your skill sets & can assist you in presenting those skills according to the job you're seeking.

Customer service skills are great to have! Don't worry op, you'll find something :)

If you don't mind the lack of benefits for entry workers, you can always go to WalMart. My sister in law only did 3 years of college, and she is the assistant manager going co-manager track of her WalMart after 10 years.

Some of the greatest Employers have been Trader Joe's and CostCo.

Look into some of the surveys of companies that celebrate and compensate their employees. Or find a trade job that suits your skills. The plumbers, electricians, mechanics, and metal workers I know get paid more than me because of the cost of labor.

Look for state jobs as well.

Last edited:
go to online college and get a degree in the times your not working? thats what Im doing and plan on giving target the boot as soon as I find a suitable replacement lol. Ill be sad because i like my fellow tm's but we gotta do what we have to do.

Even those of us who have a degree, and working at Target since the economy hasn't recovered yet in our area, feel like we can't escape either. There are several team members (including myself) at the store who are in this position.

There are no jobs or we don't meet the requirements/experience for the available postings.

Even those of us who have a degree, and working at Target since the economy hasn't recovered yet in our area, feel like we can't escape either. There are several team members (including myself) at the store who are in this position.

There are no jobs or we don't meet the requirements/experience for the available postings.
Don't give up!

Like redeye58 said, go to a local community college or DOL facility and check out the workforce development programs. They can help you brush up on your resume and interview skills.

Anyone have more info about how good Trader Joes really is? One in my area is hiring and really contemplating jumping ship more and more lately. Have a bachelor's degree, probably doing master's starting this summer online...just so tired of the false promises of moving into a leadership position.

Yeah, tell me about it. I have eight years of college and a master's degree, and yet I'm working at Target.

Getting a degree is always great, BUT keep in mind that it's not a golden ticket to a great job, or even a decent one. The economy still sucks, and it's hard to find any job right now, let alone a good one. I'd do what everyone has suggested: create a resume that highlights the job skills you learned working at Target and apply to dozens and dozens of places. Even if you don't think you're totally qualified, apply anyway. The more jobs you apply to, the more likely you are to get interviews. You might even get multiple jobs offers, and it would be awesome if you could take your pick.

I have two friends who are adjunct professors on different sides of this country and they both make less than an ETL.
Neither of them have health insurance and they have to fight to get classes every year.
They are two of the most educated people I know and are incredibly good teachers who love their jobs.

So yea, that college education is not going to get you rich and had better be for something you want to do.

Anyone have more info about how good Trader Joes really is? One in my area is hiring and really contemplating jumping ship more and more lately. Have a bachelor's degree, probably doing master's starting this summer online...just so tired of the false promises of moving into a leadership position.

I have a BS degree and have worked for 15 years in my field and now only making 1/3 of what i was making 6 years ago. I was out of work for 4 years before getting this job a Target, been here at Target for a little over 1 years now. I would love to jump ship and make more money, we should do it together and let the bottom fall out of Target, but I really don't want to screw the few TM's and TL's that I like. But, there are so many higher ups, ETL's and Logistics TL's that I'd just love to screw and quit. I think come mid to late summer I will be looking for another job cause this is just getting to me physically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back