Archived How do you go about putting in your two weeks notice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And what should one expect once you do it. Will they just end up firing you on the spot? Or will they try to manipulate you in staying? I'm done with this company, I've already got interviews at places I want to work at, I'm not getting payed nearly enough to put up with the shit I have to put up with and today was the last straw. Like being accused of putting boxes into my ETL's cart (she later gave me a half-assed apology, as whenever I said 'it's fine' I'd get a 'no it's not fine, stop saying fine, just accept my apology' uhh... okay? Me saying it's fine, is my way of saying don't worry about it, sorry I don't go by your lingo.) Or the constant back pain and sweating, or being denied a temporary excuse from working saturdays/sundays because I need to help my grandma because 'that's retail', to being told that I should 'stop acting gay' and my homosexuality being brought up EVERY SINGLE DAY, I'M DONE!

The only reason I may even stick out those final two weeks is for the money, but even then if the interview goes well and I know I'm getting that job, I'm might just quit.

Anyway, just wondering what 'two weeks notice' is like at target.

Go to your HRTM & ask for a voluntary term form, fill it out (be as brutally honest as you like since you don't plan on returning), set a last day & turn it in.
Be prepared to be ignored & treated like a traitor, which doesn't sound any worse than what you're currently experiencing.

Go to your HRTM & ask for a voluntary term form, fill it out (be as brutally honest as you like since you don't plan on returning), set a last day & turn it in.
Be prepared to be ignored & treated like a traitor, which doesn't sound any worse than what you're currently experiencing.
I feel like I could literally sue them at this point for some of the stuff they have pulled, so they better be careful. Heh. I'm afraid though that if any future employers call them for references they will speak badly about me.

Ask for the voluntary termination form and fill it out. Give it to your HR TM or HR ETL and they will handle the rest. At my store we don't fire you on the spot, we will schedule you for the two weeks if you want to be scheduled. We don't treat you like a traitor.
Call the hotline like suggested, those comments are unacceptable.

Ask for the voluntary termination form and fill it out. Give it to your HR TM or HR ETL and they will handle the rest. At my store we don't fire you on the spot, we will schedule you for the two weeks if you want to be scheduled. We don't treat you like a traitor.
Call the hotline like suggested, those comments are unacceptable.

I'm just conflicted because the guy the says those comments I'm also sort of friends with, but he can be an ignorant ass hole. Very conservative and grew up in a religious home. Doesn't excuse it, but I know he doesn't want to lose his job, and he has helped me when I needed it. I guess I could just not use his name, though others have been 'weirded' out by me for the simple fact I'm gay and outspoken about it. Not in your face, or flamboyant, but if there are group conversations if I say something like 'yeah. my ex-boyfriend was like that' there will be chuckles and groans. Beyond that and for other reasons, it is a very hostile work environment around certain people.

And what does that mean that they don't use references? If someone calls they don't say anything about me? Or just confirm that I worked there?

When you call the hotline, make certain that your events are document well. Since you are under 90 days, don't be surprise that spot may say bye & out the door when you turn in your 2 week form. Stay in practice on how to get the tax forms done on time.

Mods, merge this thread with other 2 threads they have on quitting.

Wish you the best in the future. Not happy you were treated so poorly.

I see you tried to change your availability within your 90 days. That is highly frowned upon, a big reason we hire people is their availability so to try to change it so quickly is a red flag.

If I can be totally honest reading some of your comments make sure the drama doesnt follow you. I know Target can give people a hard time and I get that but you should set the tone for how you want to be treated. Allowing a friend to make fun of you and be ignorant kind of sets the tone. I dont know you or your situation but I know lots of TMs who think the world is out to get them.

Last edited:
Wish you the best in the future. Not happy you were treated so poorly.

I see you tried to change your availability within your 90 days. That is highly frowned upon, a big reason we hire people is their availability so to try to change it so quickly is a red flag.

If I can be totally honest reading some of your comments make sure the drama doesnt follow you. I know Target can give people a hard time and I get that but you should set the tone for how you want to be treated. Allowing a friend to make fun of you and be ignorant kind of sets the tone. I dont know you or your situation but I know lots of TMs who think the world is out to get them.

I understand what you are saying, and I agree. With him it was conflicting but I never really played the victim card. If he made comments, I should clarify, that I stood up for myself and would tease him as well about his ignorance. I guess I understood through conversations that his beliefs stemmed from his upbringing and religious background, I wouldn't let him get away with it, and maybe I thought that (had I worked there longer) that I would be able to change his opinion on it. He did mention last time that he thought there was nothing wrong with it and I wasn't a bad person because of it, so maybe after realizing that I was a friendly, normal, guy who had his back it changed his opinion even if he still doesn't agree with it. I just would never report him because a) he did help me out a lot, gave me training and advice that the actual trainers never provided, b) got a hard time from others even when he was clearly not at fault and c) had I reported him and he got fired then he definitely would probably hate the gays even more so. I always try to come from a place of understanding, but I'm also not naive, if he had been an outright dick with no redeeming qualities, I would have had no qualms with sending his ass out the door.

I did pick up the voluntary resignation form, am planning on turning it in later today since I'm off tomorrow. Today was even worse than the last. I'm just going to site my reasons as personal and scheduling issues, and perhaps the chronic back pain and pain in my elbow that I still have. But I might just leave it at personal reasons. If they decide to not let me work until saturday (I have tomorrow off, thursday on, friday off, saturday on) then so be it. Apparently they are interviewing 26 new potential hires. But with the way things are being run right now, and from most of the comments I heard today from coworkers, they better make some changes or I won't be the only one leaving in the next week, if not sooner. So many people almost outright quit today and walked out the door, it was nice knowing I wasn't the only one.

Officially got an interview on Friday at 11:30 am. Might not even go back to target, or make Thursday my last day. Holla.

And what should one expect once you do it. Will they just end up firing you on the spot? Or will they try to manipulate you in staying? I'm done with this company, I've already got interviews at places I want to work at, I'm not getting payed nearly enough to put up with the shit I have to put up with and today was the last straw. Like being accused of putting boxes into my ETL's cart (she later gave me a half-assed apology, as whenever I said 'it's fine' I'd get a 'no it's not fine, stop saying fine, just accept my apology' uhh... okay? Me saying it's fine, is my way of saying don't worry about it, sorry I don't go by your lingo.) Or the constant back pain and sweating, or being denied a temporary excuse from working saturdays/sundays because I need to help my grandma because 'that's retail', to being told that I should 'stop acting gay' and my homosexuality being brought up EVERY SINGLE DAY, I'M DONE!

The only reason I may even stick out those final two weeks is for the money, but even then if the interview goes well and I know I'm getting that job, I'm might just quit.

Anyway, just wondering what 'two weeks notice' is like at target.

first of all, if your sexuality is being brought up, that should have been a hotline call. 0 tolerance means ZERO tolerance. that "stop acting gay" line alone should have gotten who ever said it fired.

secondly, as much as it sound unprofessional to do so, and NOT be the bigger person.... why even hand in a form? wait the 2 weeks, and then on your last day say goodbye to everyone who you may care about. then call out sick for your next shift but call out saying youve promoted yourself to "guest". and be done with them. it would really mess up their plans for the day and next 2 weeks as they'd have to find someone to fill in your hours.

at MY store, people disappear without a TRACE when they quit. they either NCNS into termination OR tell no one theyve gotten a new job and suddenly can only work weekends and then never show up again. another favorite move they do is call in at at the opposite time of their normal shift, so flow team at night, closers in the morning, and quit to who they dont know so they cant beg them to stay.

first of all, if your sexuality is being brought up, that should have been a hotline call. 0 tolerance means ZERO tolerance. that "stop acting gay" line alone should have gotten who ever said it fired.

secondly, as much as it sound unprofessional to do so, and NOT be the bigger person.... why even hand in a form? wait the 2 weeks, and then on your last day say goodbye to everyone who you may care about. then call out sick for your next shift but call out saying youve promoted yourself to "guest". and be done with them. it would really mess up their plans for the day and next 2 weeks as they'd have to find someone to fill in your hours.

at MY store, people disappear without a TRACE when they quit. they either NCNS into termination OR tell no one theyve gotten a new job and suddenly can only work weekends and then never show up again. another favorite move they do is call in at at the opposite time of their normal shift, so flow team at night, closers in the morning, and quit to who they dont know so they cant beg them to stay.

I know some people love to quit giving Target the middle finger but it blows me away how many people quit and come back bc they need a job. Just in the past month we have had two applicants who Target listed as non rehireable because they job abandoned. This is my second time working at spot so you never know when you will need them again.

part of me wants to call the hotline to report these things, the other part of me just doesn't even want anything more to deal with these people. unless i could stay anonymous but i'm sure it'd get back to me somehow.

I wrote on my form that tomorrow would be my last day, but now i'm rethinking even going in tomorrow. how do you even go about getting your final pay check? and for a second i was worried that if i don't go in tomorrow they would be pissed, but just now i'm thinking, why do i even care? i'm getting another job. ffuck them. they never showed me any respect, why should i return the favor?

part of me wants to call the hotline to report these things, the other part of me just doesn't even want anything more to deal with these people. unless i could stay anonymous but i'm sure it'd get back to me somehow.

I wrote on my form that tomorrow would be my last day, but now i'm rethinking even going in tomorrow. how do you even go about getting your final pay check? and for a second i was worried that if i don't go in tomorrow they would be pissed, but just now i'm thinking, why do i even care? i'm getting another job. ffuck them. they never showed me any respect, why should i return the favor?

If you get direct deposit you it should be deposited into your account on payday. If you get paper checks, your check might be at the store on payday or they mail it to you. Some states have to pay you on your last day. I am an HR TM. I always put the paper check with the other checks on payday giving the former TM a chance to pick up their paycheck on payday. If they don't pick it up, I mail it to them.

Pretty shitty not to put in and work your 2 weeks. It's your co-workers that get fucked over by this, not really the leaders. I understand you feel you've been crapped on but come on man. After the big deal you made about your interview, getting hired, feeling good about your progress, this is how you go out?
Weak.

Unless you are in California where they pay you the final day, most states do direct deposit or they mail it to you.

I know some people love to quit giving Target the middle finger but it blows me away how many people quit and come back bc they need a job. Just in the past month we have had two applicants who Target listed as non rehireable because they job abandoned. This is my second time working at spot so you never know when you will need them again.

oh yeah some dude that was a favorite of our previous ETL HR was rehired and everyone was crying about it because the dude was a nightmare. he worked 2 days and said "this was a step backwards" and quit. he came in again looking for work and they told him no, and he said that target was a joke. oh brother.

you CAN call anonymously, and i think you still should. spot deserves to know that they have prejudiced leadership. but regardless of how bad they were/are you seem to care about your job and have decent enough work ethic to want to go in and finish. so the choice is yours.

Pretty shitty not to put in and work your 2 weeks. It's your co-workers that get fucked over by this, not really the leaders. I understand you feel you've been crapped on but come on man. After the big deal you made about your interview, getting hired, feeling good about your progress, this is how you go out?
Weak.
I see what you're say you're saying, but when over half of your coworkers are homophobic ass holes who could care less about getting the job done, slacking off and letting you do the heavy lifting, I don't really care. As for the select few who stayed that I became friends with, I have personally talked to them one on one and apologized and even offered to stay on if they needed me too. But they they knew the situation I was going through and the toll it was taking on me and told me it was fine and to not feel bad. A couple said they would probably be leaving soon as well and don't blame me. And.... yeah, I did feel positive at first... but things change over time and sometimes for the worse. I don't really know what you're point is with that one. You don't really have any idea what I went through, but you have the right to your own opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back