Archived How do you guys get by??

Can you survive only working for Target?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I could not survive only by working at Target. The fluctuation in hours is too unpredictable and does not pay enough. I decided to change careers about three years before leaving my previous employer. I set a budget and saved enough to pay for undergrad - post grad tuition, property taxes, insurance, potential expenses etc for 6 years. I use Target pay to mess around in the market and to buy cool gadgets.

I live in one of the cheapest states in the country cost-of-living wise. In most cases $500 a week is more than enough to live comfortably on if you're single with no dependents and don't overspend on a fancy car. Even my $12 an hour would be sufficient if I always got a steady 40 every week. On the other hand, my city is home to the highest number of college educated people in the state, and their six figure incomes tend to artificially jack up rental prices well beyond what the properties are actually worth. I live in a midrange 2 bed apartment that should be going for no more than $400 a month (the complex was built in the 80's) but they're charging almost $800 just because they can.

I'm at least fortunate that I don't live in Cali-fuckin-fornia where I would be paying $1,800+ for even shittier digs. I can't imagine spending that much on anything, much less as a reoccurring monthly payment. 💀💀💀💀

I treat deposits into my savings like they were a bill. Like I make it a "mandatory" expense. So my first check of the month, I'll pay a few small bills (credit card, phone, insurance, ect), and then deposit about ~$300 into savings, and leave myself about $100 for miscellaneous stuff. Usually food, lol. More than enough for me though with other work. So by the time my second paycheck comes in with any pay from my other job, I just have to worry about rent and my car. If there's anything left over, it's money for me to spend, but there isn't always money left over. :/

This thread is teaching me I need to get married. *cringe*

Hate to be another one of those 'you need a rich spouse' posts but when I was working for Spot and living in NJ there was no way I would have survived if my wife wasn't a teacher in a great union, with amazing insurance, making good money because she had taught in an urban school for a long time.
I made enough to maybe buy groceries and pay the utilities.
She had to cover everything else.

I live in one of the cheapest states in the country cost-of-living wise. In most cases $500 a week is more than enough to live comfortably on if you're single with no dependents and don't overspend on a fancy car. Even my $12 an hour would be sufficient if I always got a steady 40 every week. On the other hand, my city is home to the highest number of college educated people in the state, and their six figure incomes tend to artificially jack up rental prices well beyond what the properties are actually worth. I live in a midrange 2 bed apartment that should be going for no more than $400 a month (the complex was built in the 80's) but they're charging almost $800 just because they can.

I'm at least fortunate that I don't live in Cali-fuckin-fornia where I would be paying $1,800+ for even shittier digs. I can't imagine spending that much on anything, much less as a reoccurring monthly payment. 💀💀💀💀

Haha I was about to say, I wish I could spend $800 for a 2 bedroom. I don't care how shitty it is. In California $1800 would maybe get you a decent studio or half a 2 bedroom. If you're smack dap in the middle of SF you'd best be willing to pay +$3K for a nice 1 bedroom.

I'm doing fine, but I'm lucky. I'm a Sr. TL working 45 hours a week on average. I also live with my parents, who charge rent, but not as much as it would be living on my own. When I was a TM though there's no way I'd have been able to live without my parents' support.

I think that you need to check out your math...should be $780.00.....one paycheck covers almost everything you have listed here. the second paycheck of $700.00....less than $100 goes for your listed expenses. So that leaves you with approx. $600 a month.....more than enough to cover food, toiletries....so you've either missed calculated your expenses, you've missed some expenses or you're spending a lot on things that you haven't counted.
My pay runs about $500/ check. My budgeted amount runs very similar to yours and I have some money left each month.

I'm just suggesting that you re-evaluate where your money goes. You may have more discretionary funds than you realize.
If I can make my $1000 a month work you should be safe at $1400. Good luck in the re-evaluation process!!
I have a “I can’t stop buying clothes, makeup, and Starbucks” problem 😝

Hate to be another one of those 'you need a rich spouse' posts but when I was working for Spot and living in NJ there was no way I would have survived if my wife wasn't a teacher in a great union, with amazing insurance, making good money because she had taught in an urban for a long time.
I made enough to maybe buy groceries and pay the utilities.
She had to cover everything else.
SUGAR MAMA!

Just kidding ;)

I started my own business, sadly, Target got in the way and I'm too valuable to reduce my hours here. I clean and detail cars on the side and had a really big following but things were changing at work and I was working way too much and it all got really stressful, people cancelled on me, it rained so I had to postpone appointments sometimes... meh.

It's getting cold and guess what, another rainy week ahead of me. Great, maybe I'll just keep my hours for now lol.

I use to have a room mate, now I have a boyfriend that I live with.
I make 15/hr but my checks have been fluctuating around 750-800 these last couple of years because it seems like everytime I get a raise, I end up working less hours.
I could have probably afford to live alone prior to giving birth, but definitely not know without some kind of government assistance. I live in a state and a city with a low cost of living. People that make $11/hr and work 40 hours a week can live alone.

My boyfriend’s base pay is the same as mine but he works 40 hours a week and gets extra money per hour for not having health benefits. So he makes about 18/hr and also gets a disability check from the VA.

I think that you need to check out your math...should be $780.00.....one paycheck covers almost everything you have listed here. the second paycheck of $700.00....less than $100 goes for your listed expenses. So that leaves you with approx. $600 a month.....more than enough to cover food, toiletries....so you've either missed calculated your expenses, you've missed some expenses or you're spending a lot on things that you haven't counted.
My pay runs about $500/ check. My budgeted amount runs very similar to yours and I have some money left each month.

I'm just suggesting that you re-evaluate where your money goes. You may have more discretionary funds than you realize.
If I can make my $1000 a month work you should be safe at $1400. Good luck in the re-evaluation process!!

$780 won't get you a shitbox studio apartment in my neck of the woods.. Anywhere in my neck of the woods, ghetto rent is $800 or better to start.

I live at home with my parents and make about $700 each paycheck. My rent is $100, car insurance is $80, and gym membership is $20. My phone bill is $110 and my car payment is $400. Spend about $80 a month on gas (I live like 5 minutes away from target). So total expenses are like $710 not including food and toiletries etc. I have no savings and am constantly left with like $2 to my name by the time I get my next paycheck.
Is that car payment including insurance? That's relatively expensive; is the car fairly new?

I'm insanely jealous of all these females who can marry a guy who brings home that bread, and not have to work. Although if I were a hausfrau I would probably get bored and get a part time job just to get out of the house. Lol
I'm single and make bank 😜😘

Why does it have to be a guy? In this day and age there are plenty of women out there with educations and making good money. We have a few male TMs at work whose wife is the one who brings home the bread. ;)

Ugh. You know, no one bothered to make this specification because it's obvious as hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back