Archived How do you guys get by??

Can you survive only working for Target?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

oddball

Softlines TM
Just wondering how many of you all only work at spot and manage to get the bills paid? (as a TM or TL of course) What does your budget look like? Does anyone live on their own or have roomates.. can you comfortably save every pay or is it a check to check situation? What about when fourth quarter ends and hours are cut?

I have a spouse who makes about 4 times what I make at target. I also had a career up until 2008 for 14 years worked for a big bank made real money back then.

I recently had a loved one die leaving me and my 2 siblings with a big amount of savings.

So I am financially secure for life. The only reason I work at target is cause it’s less than 2 miles from my home.

Have a hubby who makes bank, I work pay for my cars, the groceries and vet bills and stack some cash on the side.. No kids I would go nuts not working. I worked in corporate jobs before hand and fucking hated it.. I need to get my hands dirty, throwing freight or SFS makes me more a happy person..

I have always lived pay check to pay check. Matter in fact, I can't afford groceries until next pay day and my power is gonna get turned off soon. Saving is impossible when you don't make enough to pay the Bill's.
omg thats me right now

I live at home with my parents and make about $700 each paycheck. My rent is $100, car insurance is $80, and gym membership is $20. My phone bill is $110 and my car payment is $400. Spend about $80 a month on gas (I live like 5 minutes away from target). So total expenses are like $710 not including food and toiletries etc. I have no savings and am constantly left with like $2 to my name by the time I get my next paycheck.

I rely on seasonal work to help me get money i normally work my normal target job (flow] then i work a temp unload job and tree lots and i normally make around $1,000 a week during the holidays and that gives me a little nest egg to use after the holidays when my hours at target pretty much stay at 36hrs a week

While I work enough hours to carry the insurance for our family (husband's employer is twice the cost) and cover most of the cost of daycare, my husband definitely makes the bank for our family as his paychecks cover the rest of our expenses plus savings.

If I were single and without kids, I could make it work, barring any unexpected expenses. Those are what always threw me for a loop when I was living on my own; car repairs were a big one. And I'd have never been able to afford a new car when I needed one 5 years ago, thank God for my husband on that one too!

I work at T as a part time gig to make a lil cash for fun stuff now that my kids are grown. My husband makes the real money around here. There is no way, even if I worked full time, that I could afford life here in Orange County, CA. It's stupid here. 🙄

The PNW isn't any different, people kept telling me it was cheaper than the San Fernando valley, some things were, most were the same just add rain..

I go to school and have Target and another job. I’ve been getting consistent hours at Target so I’ve been able to save up money, and my main job is full time as well, which pays the bills. My sister moved in with me so I wouldn’t live alone and we’ve been splitting the bills 50/50.

Last edited:
I havent saved anything besides my tax returns since working at target. Been almost 3 yrs now and I'm living paycheck to paycheck. I'm lucky if I have $20 for 2 weeks since my hours get cut right after i get a head a little. :rolleyes:

I work enough to qualify for benefits for now; husband is a contractor/consultant & makes bank when he's working but gets no bennies.
We have three boys, one of which is disabled, & an elderly great-aunt who moved in several years back.
She helps where she can in the kitchen, folding laundry, etc with the boys' help & she kicks in what she can from her Soc Sec.
I grew up in a multi-generational household & my boys are getting the same benefit.

I think we’d be fine but starting a business without any capital was probably a bad move since we went into major debt financing its start up plus the typical hassle of waiting for clients to pay which can severely limit cash flow for weeks/months and send you into bad credit hell. My target job helps to offset those lean times. I finally paid off one huge debt tris week so that alone make it worth the 70 hours a week I work.

From reading all these posts it sounds like i need to find a successful man to marry or stay miserable working two jobs.. i wonder what my future holds🤔

There were years where mine didn't make what he makes now, we moved states where the jobs were better for him. For me it was pretty much the opposite but I can work anywhere and I just changed what industry I was in..

I work Target, my GF makes less than me. We have a house, 2 cars, and a 7yo son, and manage to pay the bills so far, but just barely. No savings though

I live at home with my parents and make about $700 each paycheck. My rent is $100, car insurance is $80, and gym membership is $20. My phone bill is $110 and my car payment is $400. Spend about $80 a month on gas (I live like 5 minutes away from target). So total expenses are like $710 not including food and toiletries etc. I have no savings and am constantly left with like $2 to my name by the time I get my next paycheck.

I think that you need to check out your math...should be $780.00.....one paycheck covers almost everything you have listed here. the second paycheck of $700.00....less than $100 goes for your listed expenses. So that leaves you with approx. $600 a month.....more than enough to cover food, toiletries....so you've either missed calculated your expenses, you've missed some expenses or you're spending a lot on things that you haven't counted.
My pay runs about $500/ check. My budgeted amount runs very similar to yours and I have some money left each month.

I'm just suggesting that you re-evaluate where your money goes. You may have more discretionary funds than you realize.
If I can make my $1000 a month work you should be safe at $1400. Good luck in the re-evaluation process!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back