How do you make overhead announcements via your zebra?

Our store has always had a team member run back to TSC to make the overhead announcement, and I just heard that there was a way to do so over the zebra, but we could not figure it out. Does anyone know if this is actually possible, and how to do so?

Last edited:
You need a certain phone system for it to work. Newer but not the latest few versions.
If you have the phone app on your MyDevice, you can to intercom/PA announcement unless your store specifically isn’t working. Using the TMSC landline or a leader signed into the MyDevice can use an extension to start the overhead announcement. Search on workbench for the extension

Our store has always had a team member run back to TSC to make the overhead announcement, and I just heard that there was a way to do so over the zebra, but we could not figure it out. Does anyone know if this is actually possible, and how to do so?
You must be a leader and signed into the phone (under the leader role) You hit 52# and call or 52, it works like that at my store. We had a new PA recently because they kept breaking.

AFAIK, The only 3 extensions that are allowed to access the PA is leader (myDevice only) the landline in TSC and the landline at Guest Service.

I've tried using the electronics phone, cash office phone, SDs office phone. Nothing lol.

You must be a leader and signed into the phone (under the leader role) You hit 52# and call or 52, it works like that at my store. We had a new PA recently because they kept breaking.

AFAIK, The only 3 extensions that are allowed to access the PA is leader (myDevice only) the landline in TSC and the landline at Guest Service.

I've tried using the electronics phone, cash office phone, SDs office phone. Nothing lol.
SD office worked at 2 small and 1 large format. I’ve tried the guest service landline but that didn’t work at a large format and the small formats don’t have a guest service landline

You can do it from a handheld logged in as leader and then do it like you would on the one in the TSC. A normal TM can not do it. With that said, the handhelds don't always log leaders in as leader, it's interesting.

This was mentioned.

Our GS phone doesn't work with it, nor does our TSC. It's weird.

Very old thread but it actually is possible! You must be signed into the leader role (So you have to be a leader) and you just dial 52# and hit call. Taught my store that recently.
Yeah, I used to be able to do it, because anyone could sign in as a leader, but the update a while back ruined that. :(

You can do it from a handheld logged in as leader and then do it like you would on the one in the TSC. A normal TM can not do it. With that said, the handhelds don't always log leaders in as leader, it's interesting.

This was mentioned.

Our GS phone doesn't work with it, nor does our TSC. It's weird.
I believe there can only be so many logged in as leader so most likely there is already more leaders logged on before they get there.

You have to call CSC and request paging line access for the extensions to use the paging system ✨
hmm. very interesting. I'll probably get in trouble if I call them without telling a TL. They probs wouldn't want the electronics phone out in the open having paging access.

Also, Do you know is CSC could add extensions to the myDevices? We got an optical in our remodel and they have their own ext but it doesn't show up in the myDevice contacts list.

hmm. very interesting. I'll probably get in trouble if I call them without telling a TL. They probs wouldn't want the electronics phone out in the open having paging access.

Also, Do you know is CSC could add extensions to the myDevices? We got an optical in our remodel and they have their own ext but it doesn't show up in the myDevice contacts list.
Yes they should be able to! You could try using chatbot as well.

TM's used to be able to make announcements, because anyone could actually log in as "Leader". They changed it recently so that only actual TL's can do so now though - I doubt they're going to revert it.

good to know. you think they’d add any TM to do the announcements over their device? or just tie it to Leaders?

GS TMs would benefit from paging a guest without having to find a leader first
You could try but I don’t think so. AFAIK it needs to be a desktop IP phone (Cisco if your store still has those or the Polycom phones)

You could try but I don’t think so. AFAIK it needs to be a desktop IP phone (Cisco if your store still has those or the Polycom phones)
I meant like the ext so anyone can do it from their device. We don't have a GS phone. Only a PolyCom TSC phone. Thinking about it now. We actually have wiring for a phone outside of the cash office. I could prolly convince our ETL to let me call about it to CSC to enable paging access for that one.

Our new GS just straight up doesn't have room for a landline phone. we just grab a dedicated myDevice for the phone lol.

Used to be #50 or #55 or something like that from any phone. System got hacked in some store awhile back and I think they took it out.
not exactly. So its not any phone, its any phone with paging access, AKA Guest Services or the TSC phone.

With that said, myDay automatically checks to see if you're a TL and signs you into the leader position in the phone app. As a leader, you can hit (at least in our store) 52 and call that to access the PA from your myDevice.

Back