Archived How do you respond to the people who want your help off the clock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Idk if this has been suggested yet or not but my go to method of responding is to tell them I'm not from that store. There is another targrt like 10 minutes from mine so I just claim to be from there and they almost always buy it.

If a guest asks me for help off the clock I usually just give them a staff to the face.
tumblr_mwn1ebrUum1s5idvmo6_500.gif

I had this happen to me yesterday. I was on a 15 in market and a guest asked me where something was. I told her I didn't know (I really didn't) and suggested her product might be near another item. Then I kept walking.

I usually try to point them in the general direction and say I'm off the clock so if they need more help I can find them someone working.

I've started wearing my sunglasses whenever off the clock and walking around the store, the aqua colored knockoff ray bans do wonders for making people not want to bother you.
This is actually not a bad idea...

Before I got my uniform, I would just point and say over there, and keep walking. The one exception was when a my ASL instructor from a few semesters ago saw me and asked for help. He deaf, and I'm 90% sure I'm the only person in the store who knows any sign language.

I often wear red cardigans over a non-red shirt so if I'm off the clock and on the floor, I just peel that outer layer off. On those rare days I actually have a red shirt on, I bring a non-red sweater or jacket to throw on top.
When I was a new hire, I learned my lesson when I got stopped by several guests asking me for help during my lunch. Never again.

I was shopping at the store I used to work at and someone stopped me and asked "Hey do you know where I can find x?" and I felt my soul freeze over as I soon realized.... I was branded...

.... I told them the aisle and location it used to be in but that I didn't work there anymore and that it had probably moved.

I have in the past helped someone off the clock Ie showing them where something is etc. Now, I simply say that I have clocked out for the day. If I see a fellow team member near by I will direct the guest to them....or tell the guest to pick up the red phone etc.
I've done the same. Off the clock shopping and approached by a non English speaking guest with a crying child. Crying actually doesn't describe it. Pitch. Decibels. Ouch. Way easier to assist Mum and be on my merry.

I always change my shirt right before clocking out to avoid this problem. But occasisionally a guest will see my khakis and ask "do you work here", and I'll just respond no.

The key? Don't stop walking.

This is true with all scenarios, such as people with clipboards and including those damn Dead Sea Soap kiosk people at the mall that try to spray or rub their shit on you. No eye contact and just keep walking.

One of my friends begrudgingly signed up to help people in some country for $10 a month because we were downtown and SHE. GAVE. HIM. EYE CONTACT. even when I told her not to. Ughh..

I only help point to the direction of what they are looking for. Anything else, and they are out of luck I'm afraid.

I'm always worried about someone stopping me when I'm clocked out. Luckily, everyone who has so far has been friendly and understanding, or I just point them in the right direction in one sentence quickly and tell them someone else can help them find the exact location. But to deter people from asking anything, I usually throw my wardrobe into "casual mode" - I'll usually leave my walkie and MyDevice at the electronics boat, take off my nametag, pop in headphones, and, if I clocked out from a morning shift, I'll untuck my shirt. Basically, I try to look as casual and unprofessional as possible to really drive the point home that I'm not working.

I always change my shirt right before clocking out to avoid this problem. But occasisionally a guest will see my khakis and ask "do you work here", and I'll just respond no.

I've seen a customer ask the Pepsi Vendor a question before. They'll ask anyone for help lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back